8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2014 5:06 AM by brightlybob RSS

Gold Elite benefits in London

LondonBound2014 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have Gold Elite status and I'm heading to London in April hoping to use the benefits.  Would I still receive the same benefits as I do here in the states i.e. free wi-fi, lounge access?  I'm planning on staying at either the JW Marriott, Grosvenor House or the St. Pancras Renaissance, but I've read where their lounges are for Platinum Elite status only.  Do access to certain benefits depend on the hotel?

I'm using points/cash for the rooms and I really don't wish to stay in such opulence, but reviews seem to show that these Marriott properties are convenient to tube stations and they seem to be the only ones with doubles available to redeem points.  Would lower tier hotels, 6-8, provide more Gold Elite benefits?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Gold Elite benefits in London
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

LondonBound,

You have a wonderful schedule, but can I recommend an alternative place?

Could you contact Teddi J. at the Marriott County Hall and see if she could help you?  contact at:

teddi.jackson@marriotthotels.com

Explain your situation and room desires, see if she can help with your trip.

You will never find a better place in London to stay, if they can help you at CH!

Let us know how we can help with details, no matter where you stay.  Remember, to review previous posts on the London Hotels!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

LondonBound2014 Platinum

Thanks for the advice.  I will check this out!

ansaa Member

Hello LondonBound2014,

I am pleased to see you have 'met' jerrycoin. He always shares great insights on the site!

Below is another thread with great tips of what to see and do while in London. Perhaps this thread will help determine what you would like to experience while you are there and help narrow down the location of where you would like to stay. Re: 10HR 15M Layover LHR Suggestions, Please.

Hope this helps and welcome to the Marriott Rewards Insiders family!

LondonBound2014 Platinum

Thanks!  I wish I joined when I first started planning this trip!

ansaa,

You are way to kind!

Thank-you for your comment.  Will try to help anyone NOT make all the "Travel mistakes" I have made over the years!

I have to "" or I would ""!

vickisocal Platinum

St. Pancras is the only full service London Marriott/JW/Ren that blocks Golds from the CL. They claim it is because it is not a regular CL. I call BS even though we do get access as Plat. sticking up for Gold brothers and sisters.

vickisocal,

That is good information.  Had NO idea of this!

Thank-you!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Golds have the same lounge access and benefits in London as throughout the world, with the sole exception of the St Pancras Ren, which as stated by Vicki is the only one to restrict lounge access by calling it a club.

For Plats, St Pancras has much to commend it on a London tourist trip, since proximity to the tube (subway) is in reality the most important location, and the St Pancras stands directly on top of the tube station! The St Pancras club lounge is easily the best I've experienced. However as a Gold you'd be excluded so I would look elsewhere.

The JW Grosvenor House is one of London's traditional grand hotels, but surprisingly good rates can be found here. It seems to routinely upgrade it's elites, as I've found over the years as both Gold and Plat. The exec lounge is good and the hotel is opposite Hyde Park. It's a 10 min walk to the nearest tube.

The Marriott Grosvenor Square is a 5 minute walk from the tube, again it upgrades well and the lounge is decent. It's just off Oxford Street if you like shopping.

All the above are 5* hotels and their charges reflect that. The Marble Arch Marriott is most definitely 4*, upgrades it's elites and has a good exec lounge. Again it's a 5 minute walk from the tube, but in a much less salubrious area than the 2 Grosvenors.

In the central area there's also County Hall, which is next to the London Eye, opposite the Houses of Parliament and an easy walk to the Tate. There's also the Park Lane Marriott. It's next door to the tube at the very top of Oxford Street. I've never stayed at either of these 2 as their rates always been expensive compared to the above.

Finally I reckon both Maida Vale and West India Quay Marriotts are worth considering. Both are good hotels with nice exec lounges that upgrade elites well. Maida Vale is in a predominantly residential area within a 5 minute walk of the tube and West India Quay is on Canary Wharf and right next door to the DLR, which is part of the London tube system. Both of these are much cheaper than the more central options listed above.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...