7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2014 3:10 PM by brightlybob RSS

confusion about elite nights

jack613 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hello!

i am glad to be part of the insiders community!! i was wondering why my 15 elite nights from signing up for the marriott premier card were reset in jan when i signed up for it in december.Aren't the nights supposed to last through the upcoming year?  those nights were one of the factors for getting the card(to help me reach gold status quicker).the elite nights lasted on my account approx 2 weeks.   in addition,my rollover nights going into 2015 will be less due to not having those nights.  any thoughts or explanations would be greatly appreciated!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: confusion about elite nights
    marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

You get the 15 nights on the anniversary of when you signed up. So if you signed up October 2013, you will get 15 nights every October.  For your case, you will get the nights every December.  So unfortunately for you, you might not be achieving Gold until much later in the year.  The good news is that you would then have that status for December 2014 and then all of 2015.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jack613 Silver

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO EXPLAIN HOW IT WORKS!!

it is still a little disappointing to have those nights for only 2 weeks(when i thought i would have them for a full year).

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

Yes. They don't do a good job of clearly explaining it in materials.  I wondered why they didn't post immediately in January for me and then they showed up in April (the month I signed up for the card).  December is a tough month because if they post late, it could cause problems for reaching your status. Maybe you can call them and they can move up when the nights post.

jack613 Silver

great point! am i understanding correctly that if they post late (for example february 2015)i would not have recieved the nights in 2014 to help me get to gold status for the year 2015?

parcaae Silver 1 Reviews

Thank you for asking this question, Jack 613,  I am new to the Insider and I am trying to understand things.  So do you get the 15 nights within that year to use and these nights are free, or do you have to make the 15 nights reservation to get the points for the next year and move you up in status?  How exactly does this work.  Thanks for any answers anyone can give to me to shed light on this. 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

HI parcaae,

the 15 credit card nights are simply a type of bonus night credit that goes to your marriott rewards and counts towards your annual nights total.

hence for plats with the card they need only 60 nights in marriott since once their extra credit card nights get counted they total 75Nights credit for the year. When in the year they credit really makes little difference other than those where the member is increasing nights stayed and as a result moving up the elite ladder. Lets say a silver stays 40 nights in one year, with 35 of those nights occurring by end September, then if his credit card anniversary falls in any month before then, he'll have his 15 extra nights credited thus making gold (35+15=50 night credited) if the members credit card anniversary falls in a December he will find his elevation to gold delayed since he needs those bonus night credits to make gold. Of course, once he has gold it's then retained for the entirety of the following year, hence it then doesn't matter when the anniversary falls.

says I with an anniversary date in November!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...