13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2014 2:28 PM by iahflyr RSS

Bayou City

skyemema Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

What is the BAJOU City of Houston, Tx.??

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Bayou City
    erc Platinum

When I lived there, Houston was known as the Bayou City because of all the bayous/waterways running through it. I'll defer to local expert IAHFLYR to educate us all.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Houston is a very large spread out city with a diverse population that is economically strong and has been for years.  With a relatively low cost of living for such a large metropolitan area it's a wonderful place to live.  The winters are much milder than those of the city to our north and summers rarely have temperatures into the 100's, but we do have our famous humidity.....we deal with it!

The Texas Medical Center is second to none and houses M.D. Anderson Hospital, Baylor School of Medicine, Texas Children's Hospital to mention a few of the more well known.  The oil and gas industry is huge yet technology and research companies have been showing up all over town. 

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is one of the largest if not the largest in the world and is about to start the 2014 show this weekend.  The entertainment venues are many, restaurants too many to number with some excellent chefs and cuisine, United has it's largest HUB in Houston, challenging and numerous golf courses all over town, home of The Johnson Space Center (JSC) and a downtown area that houses Toyota Center (Go Rockets), Minute Maid Park (Come on Astros) and the Texas sized George R. Brown Convention Center.  Near the Medical Center is Reliant Stadium the home of our Texans (bad season last year) and sits across the parking lot from the Eighth Wonder of The World, The Astrodome.  The dome is dwarfed by Reliant Stadium and will soon be torn down so if you want to see it you better hurry.

The nickname Bayou City as erc mentioned comes from the waterways that run though the city with Buffalo Bayou being the largest.  The waterways act as our drain system during the torrential rain storms we tend to get, often coming out of their banks and giving the areas in and around downtown occasional flooding.  Buffalo Bayou is also where the last battle for Texas Independence was fought so it has a huge place in Texas History.  The city also got the nickname "Big Heart" after Hurricane Katrina and we took in tons of hurricane evacuees from Louisiana, many of who still reside here.  My favorite name is Clutch City named after the Rockets won back to back NBA Titles in 1994 and 1995.....did I mention "Go Rockets"!!  

The official nickname for Houston is Space City because it is home to NASA's JSC.  All of the astronauts for the entire Space Program conducted their training at JSC and their flight training originated at Ellington Field near Clear Lake. 

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Well IAHFLYR, I had been to Houston a few times when People's Express still flew there.  From your wonderful post, sounds like I need to go back soon to check it all out!  I could certainly go for the warmer climate right about now...

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

but how are the Marriotts IAHFLYR? No, just kidding. You should send this to someone in charge of magazines because it is a great write up of all or nearly all of what Houston has to offer and very well written. Thanks for the info

skyemema Platinum

I actually asked this question tongue in cheek as the Marriott spells Bayou as BAJOU!  I was hoping they would correct but publicity is nice for Houston.  People certainly have misconceptions about us!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

looks like the joke's on all of us then huh??

erc Platinum

You're velcome.  Good having you with the Insiders, stick around and share some travel experiences. We like tongue in cheek .

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

ok by golly I caught that one...Velcome-haha

I like jokes as much as anyone

The biggest misconception is that Houston is like that city to our north....NOT EVEN.

Hey skyemema, are you a resident?

skyemema Platinum

Yes, in Katy now.   Houston for 30 plus years.

Nice, I've been in The Woodlands for 30 years.  Howdy my across town neighbor!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...