14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2008 1:19 PM by mgrant RSS

Italy

lovetravel Silver
Currently Being Moderated
I am thinking about traveling to Italy next year. I need ideas of where to stay.  I want to cover as  much area as possible. We will be staying for two weeks.  I want to visit Rome, Florence, Venice, and probably take another side trip that is close.  Is this realistic? 
  • Re: Italy
    numerounopa Platinum

I think that is a excellent amount of time.  A couple of  years ago we spent a week seeing Rome, Venice and Florence.  Two would have been perfect.  Rome is the most intense.  2/3 days in Florence and 3/4 in Venice is plenty.  We cruised Italy this year and stayed at the Grand Flora.  It may be one of the best hotel experiences ever.  The staff, the atmosphere and the Champayne breakfeast are all exceptional experiences.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

dentaltraveler Silver
    We did this and pre booked first class rail tickets in advance through a travel agent. The rail system is great and we went from Rome to Milan stopping in Florance and Venice. We flew into Rome and out of Milan. We took a 2 day side trip from Milan to Lago De Como. Very beautiful but a little pricey. All in all it was great. We had private seating with glass doors we could close to be alone or open to show we were available for conversation. We brought wine, cheese and snacks and met fun people to talk with and share experiences. My favorite city was Florance. My least favorite was Milan

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

colbiggy Gold
    Almost two years ago, we went to Europe on our honeymoon: Rome, Venice, Vienna, Paris and London.  Rome is enchanting and exciting.  We toured the Vatican (were lucky enough to see the Pope); walked to every fountain and plaza on our map and had some excellent food!  The Metro is modern and an efficient mode of transportation when we tired of walking . . . watch for pickpockets!  We read Dan Brown’s Angeles and Demons before going . . . it can almost be used it as a travel-guide.  All this said, Rome is also very dirty; but, worth looking at yourself.  We took the train to Venice staying two days and one night . . . very expensive lodging.  The next leg was a flight from Venice’s Marco Polo Airport to Vienna where we attended a performance of the Lipizzaner Stallions at the Spanish Riding School.  Paris and London were also top attractions.

travelcrazy Platinum
    I just did the trip you are looking to do 2 years ago.  We did spend two weeks doing so.  We did 2 days in Venice, 3 days in the Tuscan region, 3 days in Florence, 3 on the Italian Riviera, and 4 in Roma. Could have spend more in Roma, but now I have an excuses to go back.  We did all our travel by train, only rent a car to drive the Tuscan area (much like Napa, CA).  You will really enjoy this trip.  Only the Dollar to Euro makes it difficult if on a budget.

wildman Silver
    A couple of years ago I started in Milan & drove down the left coast to Naples & then flew back to Milan to fly home. We stayed in B&B's all the way except in Rome we stayed in a Convent in the old town. It was all booked on the internet. It was a great 2 week trip.  But there was just 2 of us & we did not mind the fasct that we never stayed mored than 2 nights in one place.

paulinsocal Platinum

While Rome is the only city in Italy I have been to so far, I can echo NumeroUnoPA regarding the Grand Flora.  I spent 6 days there year before last and it was excellent.  The location is good, the staff is wonderful, the accomodations were very nice.  And as everyone says who has been there during good weather, the rooftop breakfast buffet is great!

swinburne Member
    In what season will you travel?

• Re: Italy In Hotels
    terryfurr Gold

Three years ago(this coming May)my wife and I made a 2-week trip to Italy with same purpose as you...cover a good amount of geography with the time alloted and in our case on a budget, using mostly points. The excellent train system made it possible to visit Milan, Venice, Florence, Naples, and Rome. We flew into Milan(United), stayed at the Marriott 4 nights(points)...made a day trip via train to Lake Como area(ferry to Bellagio,great)...trained to Venice but stayed in a Holiday Inn 2 nights(points) about 10 miles outside of city and shuttled in...trained to Bologna and stayed in Holiday Inn 3 nights(points), but daily commute to Florence was too much---would stay in or closer to Florence if had to pay next time, trained to Naples and stayed at Marriott/Renaissance(points) 2 nights--great historic fort there plus in walking distance is ferry terminal to all outer islands--Pompei, Sorrento, Isle of Capri for 1/2 day or day trips, trained to Rome and stayed at airport Marriott Courtyard 2 nights(points) hotel bused us to and from city...tried staying at Gran Flora, but never available for points,starting year in advance. We each had a 22-inch carry on bag and a back pack for ease of traveling on the train...worked out great...we plan to do it again in couple of years to see the Tuscany area and possibly back to the Lake Como area as can stay at one location and ferry to others daily...got to see a lot of Italy culture and great people observation on train...lots of local commuters...we did not use a rail pass and was not a problem...May was a good time to visit...not too crowded. 

designeredith Silver

We went to Rome last September and stayed in a Courtyard Marriott near the airport on our way to Croatia.  We had a great time staying in that hotel in the town of Fuimucchino. It a nice coastal town with many charming restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Everyone who work at the hotel speaks English. They pick you up at the airport and it's about a 15 minute ride to the hotel.  

Croatia is really the new area to visit these days. Not long ago, you never heard of any Americans really going there. We went there 5 years ago and flew into Milan, took a train to Triesta and rented a car and drove in from the North. But it's only a 1 hour flight into Split which is a fascinating city on the coast. It was built by the Venetians in the 12th century so the old city feels very much like Venice!  It's a city full of young people with 4 universities.  We proceeded to take ferries to 3 other island cities. There are over 1100 islands along the coast and many Europeans sail from one island to another. It's very beautiful and the water is more clear than I have ever seen in my life!  It's much cheaper than Europe (which is ridiculous with the exchange rate now)but the food is not as good.   

We ended up in the city of Dubrovnic. The return flight to Rome was only one hour as well. 

I have included some pictures of:

SPLIT,CROATIA 

BOAT LOOKS LIKE IT SITTING ON GLASS B/C THE WATER IS SO CLEAR IN CROATIA 

LOOKING ACROSS AT HVAR (WHERE MARCO POLO IS FROM) 

costa0605 Platinum
    Hi! yes it is realistic, depending on how long you want to stay in each city and how much you want to see. if you want to spend also some time on the beach then would suggest croatia or Sardegna.

jimcinci Platinum

We did the same trip last summer in same amount of time. 4 days in Rome, 2 days Venice, 2 days Florence and the remaining driving North to explore Cinque Terre (a coastal must see), Parma (cheese), Modena (best vinegar/olive oil), Pisa, etc. We did the trip it that order. Take a train between cities, reserve in advance on Italy govt website to get first class seats for same as walk up coach (see link below), rent a car in Venice or Florence (be careful driving in Flornce, very crowded and they have cameras for issuing tickets back to you through car rental agency).  For hotels, use the link below for Venere to see picures/rates/reviews. To reserve your hotels, this is Europes site for rooming reservations across brands and private hotels. http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html  http://www.venere.com/ Use Frommers online for details, of what see http://www.frommers.com/ Your trip is very doable in 2 weeks, have fun, we will definitely  go back!!

msp2nyc Silver
    2 weeks in Italy will fly by, but go for it. Incredible country. DO NOT miss Pompeii and the Coliseum in Rome. Both are incredible. Also, I wouldn't waste my time looking at the Leaning Tower of Pisa, but do spend time in Siena (1/2 day), Lucca, touring some vineyards and at the museums in Florence. Great hotel in Florence I stayed at in November is the Baglioni. Superb rooms, awesome location just a block from the train station and walkable to everything in the old city. Please, do not use your hotel points for the Hilton Garden Inn or similar. Italy must be done in locally owned hotels that you almost certainly have never heard of. They are much better than our American cookie cutter ones. Vino, cuisine, Michelangelo....it is all overwhelming and enthralling. Great country!!

highlandsguy Silver
    A couple of years ago, I made a similar trip.  I would suggest Florence as a base- about halfway between Rome and Venice.  And travel by train- a wondersful, non-stress way to get around.  There is so much to see in Italy, it will take more than one trip; probably several.

mgrant Platinum

Take some time to stay at the JW in Capri.  When people talk about Italy, you never seem to hear about the island of Capri too much.  This is a hidden gem.  Very relaxing with lots of shopping, hiking, great restaurants and small world charm.  May take a bit to get there, but worth it once you are.  The hotel staff was fantastic!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...