9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2014 3:57 PM by iahflyr RSS

Is Scrub Island Family Friendly?

jldmk Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am considering traveling with my family to scrub island.  I'm wondering if it is family friendly?  I have a 6 year old, 12 year old and 14 year old.

Is there anything for the kids to do?  Water slides, games, etc?  Also, any good ideas on how to get there from St. Thomas Airport without taking a taxi to the ferry and the ancient ferry to tortola, etc.?  I did that once for a sailing charter and it was painful!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Scrub Island, British Virgin Islands
  • Re: Is Scrub Island Family Friendly?
    FredSHomeNet Platinum 10 Reviews

jldmk

Certainly looks family friendly from photos, but I have never been there myself. Regarding, getting to the island without taking the ferry, have you checked with The dependable airline of the caribbean - Winair, apparently they have flights going into Tortula.

Hope you have a great time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hi jldmk,

Having been to Scrub Island twice I would tell you it is a fabulous destination and a very relaxing place.  As merb (isn't she great) posted there is a small water slide that goes into the lower deck pool, they have kayaks that you can paddle around to Honeymoon Beach which is only accessible via the water and you can walk or use the resort shuttle van to get to North Beach where there is a restaurant/bar and pool.  All are just beautiful and very relaxing spots that one can spend hours feeling like you are on your own private beach.

However; while the resort is great I am not sure I'd call it a family place due to the seclusion of the island, the limited amount of activities available other than what was previously mentioned as well as chartering a boat for the day to motor around The BVI and maybe do some snorkeling/diving.  I'm not trying to say don't go with the family, but more just be ready for a more quiet and peaceful vacation.  I do remember on our first visit having a couple of families with children probably in their early teen, but I think they were on a boat sailing the islands and had pulled into the marina to spend a few days.

As far as getting to Scrub Island, if you can fly into Tortola Beef Island Airport (EIS) it is a two minute van ride to the dock where the Scrub Island Ferry will take you on the 10 minute ride to the resort.  From San Juan both United Connection (Cape Air) uses a great nine seat C402 or Seaborne Airlines flies 37 seat SF-340's.  WInair does fly to EIS, but not sure if they fly from any place other than St. Maarten.

Regardless, the resort is excellent and here are a few links to some reviews and pictures we have posted on Insiders:

Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Scrub Island BVI

Scrub Island Trip 2014

Hope some of this helps and if you have any questions please ask as I know there are other Insiders who have enjoyed the resort as well.

jldmk Platinum

Thanks everyone!  Flying from Boston to Tortola is tough - only way to do it is with 2 stops minimum but we can get to St. Thomas non-stop from Boston.  Also, does anyone know if there is a water trampoline in the ocean at Scrub?

Thanks!

Not sure if you are loyal to one airline or not, but JetBlue currently has two non-stop flights to San Juan each day, there you can hope on Cape Air for the 45 minute flight to Tortola.  I believe JetBlue and Cape Air are partners on those flights as well.

I've heard the stories of the St. Thomas ferry and then getting transportation from that ferry dock in Tortola to the Scrub Island dock at Trellis Bay.  Pretty sure I'd rather change planes a few times rather than endure that trip.

jldmk Platinum

Ah yes - didn't realize how many flights cape air had.  Do you know how long you need to leave between landing in San Juan and departure for Tortola?  e.g., do you know to get bags from jet blue and then recheck them and check in on Cape Air?

Thanks!

I just grabbed this from the JetBlue website:

About Cape Air

Visit some of the most beautiful destinations in the world with Cape Air, one of the largest independent regional airlines in the U.S. Enjoy easy connections from Boston (BOS), Fort Myers (RSW), and San Juan (SJU) to destinations in Cape Cod, Florida and the Caribbean.

Baggage information
          For any JetBlue-Cape Air itinerary, JetBlue’s standard baggage allowances and fees apply. One free checked bag permitted up to 50 pounds (size must not exceed 62 inches in overall dimensions (length plus width plus height). Cape Air accepts excess baggage only on a space available basis, and does not accept bags heavier than 70 pounds. View JetBlue’s schedule of fees for optional services. View Cape Air’s baggage policies.

Cape Air is a partner airline so you should be able to check luggage all the way to EIS and not have to grab it at SJU.  If you check into the flights on JetBlue from BOS-EIS you'll find a connection that will be legal and thus have no problem making.  In fact, JetBlue and Cape Air share the same area of the terminal at SJU or at least did when we were there in January.  You literally walk off JetBlue and the Cape Air gate is right there, within 50 yards.

FYI, should you decide to fly into Tortola or even another island in the BVI such as Virgin Gorda (which you have to visit by renting a boat at Scrub Island) you'll have to pay a departure fee which is $20/person.  All over the BVI they use the U.S. Dollar as the currency so no need to exchange a thing, just keep the cash money saved otherwise you'll have to use the airport ATM and I'd bet that is a pretty penny for using.

jldmk Platinum

Thank you!!!! This is great!  I was using Kayak.com to look up flights and they don't show this option.  This is fantastic!  I can get from Boston to Tortola in 5h 50min and only change planes once in San Juan.

Perfect, glad to have been some help.  Now I know why I never use those travel sites as apparently they don't offer all possibilities for travel.

What time of year are you going to paradise?

eyeman Platinum 4 Reviews

I agree with iahflyr that your children may find the pace a little slow and the activities limited at scrub island. My wife and I spend a week there Nov 2012 and found just what we were looking for, a secluded and restful time at the beach. I would suggest you might consider the Cayman islands as an alternative family destination.  We loved the snorkelling and family time there. Also, it was more easily accessible for air travel.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...