17 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2014 6:51 PM by shoeman1000 RSS

Rules and rule-makers and Marriott Rewards

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Ever wonder how decisions are made in a big company? I do and wonder who stands for status quo, who stands for devaluation, and who stands for increased valuation of points in a loyalty program like Marriott Rewards.

"What if?" I always say to myself; though I seldom listen to my inner voice. 

• Is this purely a bottom-line decision (probably)  so that earned points are now worth less than they were a year ago?

• Is there a chance that given the number of new members in a program, mostly unaware of the old system, that criticism and impacts will be tempered by the blend of new and old members (maybe).

• Is there a lone voice appealing for status quo (who can say).

As we near the annual adjustment to categories time (based on historical precedents) I hope the lone voice is being heard.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rules and rule-makers and Marriott Rewards
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The "what if" IMHO:

• It appears points each year are worth less and less than the previous year.

• Absolutely, tough to criticize the system when you have nothing to compare it with while the unaware numbers continue to rise while the old members continue to wander away looking for a better reward program.

I too hope the lone voice is a strong voice.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

shall we start pondering the 2015 de-valuation, as it appears we have already set in stone what will be happening in 2014.     Interestingly, the only de-valuation experienced by any of us, will be when we stay at one of the small percent of properties that, in fact get bumped to a higher category.  Otherwise, our points are valued the same as before, and in the few cases where properties are put in lower categories, we will actually see a bargain.  Woo-hoo….  Now that is putting lipstick on a pig!

erc Platinum

I think we're pretty much in agreement about the inevitable change, our inability to do anything about it, and even that there are more severe potentially damaging benefit reductions that could occur (after all, it is essentially just a price increase - although for those holding millions of points, it's a hit to their balance, a Cat. 7 going up 5k is close to a 15% increase which results in a 15% decline in an eroding value balance).

I will note however that just doing a quick eyeballing of last years 27 and a fraction pages of increases with 47-8 properties per page, does represent more than a small percent of the then 3500 properties. That's why I always smiled at the explanation that increases were based on redemption, because redemption must mean more than once!

Very true erc. In doing a multiple regression analysis found that the incidence of category upping highly correlated to the frequency of sunspots and solar flares. Of course I used day dreaming as my independent variable, so maybe I should take Statistics again?

erc Platinum

Well you're certainly outside the standard deviation

But within th circular error probable. (CEP--look that one up and be ready for a surprise)  I iused to worry about those kinda things.

erc Platinum

Even after looking it up, my only response is "What chu talkin' bout Willis?"

We worried about nukes hitting DC, and the CEP was the blast zone.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I take umbrage to that!  I believe Anadyr is most certainly a DEVIANT…...

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Have you noticed that the former 10-pound bag of ice is now 8-pounds and the same price as before?

What about packaged coffee that supposedly 16 oz., but upon closer examination is only 12 oz.?

Candy bars are generally the same size as before, but weight/volume has been reduced with price same or higher.

Walgreen runs advertisements for Cheezits crackers repeatedly, but instead of 16 oz. they're actually 12 oz. or less.

Have you checked the ingredients label on your olive oil recently? It might say "Extra Virgin" on the front, but on the back are listed multiple countries....

....Balsamic vinegar, to be good quality, should not have caramel coloring, but many do.

Some wines are advertised as "product of Germany, or Italy", but are bottled in California (probably ship the wine in bulk containers from country where grapes grown or harvested)

Many commercial fertilizers and paints today include various "fillers", or "extenders",  such as "wood flour".

"Organic" foods are not always what they claim to be unless they are posted as "Certified Organic", and then you'll have to pay higher price for questionable, improved quality.

There are fewer available economy seats in airlines, with more  "opportunities" to upgrade to "comfort economy" for additional $75.00, and these are not just in the Exit rows!

Newspapers have been reduced in size (USA Today and others) to save costs.

Maybe it's time for N.A. to move off Imperial measurements and convert to Metric System like Europe and UK??

"It's all about the information, Marty" !(Remember the movie, "Sneakers")?

si por cierto senor

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I don't know what anadyr said but with all the examples of inflation cited by fschumpert it's no surprise that Marriott hotel catagories keep getting added and points per night required keeps going up.  On the other hand, I'd like to thank each and everyone of y'all for the less expensive ethanol readily available in farm belt states.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...