49 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2015 9:08 AM by shanghaisha RSS

Anniversary - Ren. Paris Arc de Triomphe or Hotel Le Parc Trocadero

donc Gold
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I are going to Paris in April for 8 days to celebrate our anniversary. Which hotel is better - Ren. Paris Arc de Triomphe or Hotel Le Parc Trocadero? I just want to stay in the better hotel so looking for opinions. We are gold members and have enough points for either. Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Le Parc Trocadero Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
  • Re: Anniversary - Ren. Paris Arc de Triomphe or Hotel Le Parc Trocadero
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I have only stayed at the Arc but it was wonderful  great location and great hotel. Jerrycoin has stayed at both so I suspect will depend on what you are looking for

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

jerryl,

I know a lot of folks really like the Le Parc Trocadero, but I have never stayed there, just walked by it!  It is a quiet area, not far from The Eiffel Tower.

This makes it a "Tough choice" for donc!

donc,

First, I have never stayed at The Ren. Le Parc Trocadero, so I will have to let others discuss their experiences there, but I have stayed a few times at The Ren. AdT, and will again be there in May, here's why:

The Concierge Staff arranges (For a fee) to pick me up at CDG, and bring me directly to the hotel, and put the charge on the room.

The hotel is located just off the C-E, and the prices of dining are much less. 

Less crowds and much more relaxing atmosphere.  Having been to Paris a lot, if it was my first trip, give me the C-E, but again, I can walk it without all the constant crowds.

The shopping in small shops is better at The AdT, as you have pastry, chocolate, other places that are wonderful to visit.

The hotel is very modern, the staff very friendly, and they bring me a full breakfast every morning to my room. (Plat/comped).

Here are a few photo's that may be of interest:

IMG_2314.JPG

That's the AdT, pictured at far right, from my room.  That's how close you are to it and The Metro, other transportation and the C-E!

IMG_2394.JPG

Wonderful, friendly shops adorn the area.  Great for gifts and appreciating Parisian ambiance!

IMG_2364.JPG

The friendly Concierge at The AdT can arrange any type of "Tour" event you would like.  Here they arranged at tour at The Louvre for me, and see the crowd.  They helped me avoid it, with a personal guide!

IMG_2299.JPG

Remi and Elisabeth, two of the finest Concierges you are ever going to find, anywhere!

IMG_2304.JPG

Inexpensive but delightful places like this are a short walk and English speaking friendly.  Great food and really relaxing!

Good luck with you choice donc!  Let us know if you have more questions, and have a wonderful trip!

Location Brand Hotel
    Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
      shanghaisha Platinum 1 Reviews

Have been reading your reviews for years....almost settled for the C_E Marriott due to your glowing reviews. Thank you for posting about the AdT, which had appealed to me more than the C_E.. (have stayed at the Ren Troc and Ren Vendome before and loved them).

I was torn until reading this post, now have made my reservations with points firm at the AdT.  As a platinum member what can I expect...maybe an upgrade? --does it have an executive lounge? Certainly not deal breakers when you mention how great the service and conceirges are.  Any tips on what  to request before I go---floor, room number, side of hotel, etc.  Also your favorite restaurants close by...not too much to ask, n'est pas?  Thanks for all the info over the years.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Provided two-night stay at this Marriott property in Paris for one of my grandsons and his bride two years ago and they were well satisfied with all amenities, and especially liked the location to local tourist sites.

donc Gold

Thank you all for the helpful answers and photos! I think it is going to have to be the ADT, though my concern is the tiny rooms I have read about. But the hotel looks gorgeous and the location is great. This is a tough choice but I know the trip will be amazing.

donc,

I really have not found the rooms to be "Tiny" at all!  Maybe you are getting AdT mixed up with The Ren. Louvre.

Hope you can go back and see other posts on the AdT, but I found the rooms very nice.  Likewise, look at the "Square footage" on the reservation site and check it out vrs. other properties.

One last thought, when I go back in May (On points), I will pay a daily amount to upgrade to a larger suite.  Make sure you "Look at the room" first, prior to taking your luggage to the room".  If you don't like it, request another room, then move your luggage.  The doorman will hold the luggage, till you find the room you like.

This is why I tend to email the Concierge, request to be picked up at CdG, and politely ask that they make sure I have a nice, peaceful room.  It has worked just about every time!

Good luck!

donc Gold

Thank you everyone. Booked ADT for 7 nights next month and we cannot wait!!! Jerry, I will make sure to check out your suggestions!

donc,

You let me know how I can provide information for you!

I will be there in May!

jetsetter888 Platinum

Hi Everyone - I'm new to the discussion, but have been reading a lot of the threads regarding this topic.  I'm stuck between the 3, Vendome, AdT, and C-E.  I will be visiting Paris in October, so I have some time to do more research.  Right now, I've made reservations at the AdT using my points. I also found the property to be in Conde Nast Traveler 2013 Gold List.  I'm a first timer so making a decision will be difficult.

The other property I'm considering is the Opera.  It didnt have a high score in Traveladvisor, but the points to use are 20,000 less.  (160,000 vs 180,000 for 5 nts at the 3 above).

Decisions, decisions, decisions.... 

engineergirl Platinum 1 Reviews

My family and I will be at AdT next month on points, and we chose based on advice we got from folks here.

They've never steered me wrong .  We are paying a fee to upgrade to the "family" room as we will be four adults (hard to imagine my "kids" are adults but there we go).  I'll let y'all know how it goes, but so far my correspondence with the concierge has been wonderful--they have been responsive and informative.  For instance, when I inquired about the possibility of taking a cooking class, I had their recommendation and pricing within a few hours, and shortly after my response, they had me booked for a 3 hour French dessert cooking class in Montmartre.  I've been impressed.  Many thanks to jerrycoin and other Insiders who have provided detailed information for us!

platinum4ever Platinum 1 Reviews

jetsetter888,

I have stayed at the Marriott C-E twice and both times it was fabulous.  The last visit was in June 2009, so I can't speak for the timeframe since.  But I found it to be the most elegant of most of the Marriott properties there (I didn't see all of them).  Note that since it is actually on the C-E, the area is very popular and a bit crowded.  With that said, if you are wanting to immerse yourself fully, you will be in the thick of things.  The location is very convenient to most sites in Paris.  With the Marriott C-E, you are selecting location, location, location.  And the breakfast buffet was a highlight.

Good luck with the trip planning.  By the way, I suggest buying a Fodor's Paris Travel Guide, reading it in advance to familiarize yourself, determining a plan before you travel and following the plan during the visit.  You are going to have a great time.

donc,

You are in for a good time!

Let us at MRI know how we can provide details that will make your trip memorable.  It won't, and never is "Perfect", but a few good details in planning will sure help!

Consider being picked up at CDG, the hotel Concierge can arrange that for you.  It might cost a little more than a taxi, but well worth it!  If you want to really save money, take the RER from CdG!

Make sure you let the hotel know you are coming by introducing yourself to The Concierge.  If you have any special requests let them know prior to getting there.  That would include dining, sightseeing, or ?

You will be there at a wonderful time of year.

Try to review previous post by others and myself about Paris, it may be helpful!

Good luck!

donc Gold

So we are booked for the AdT from April 3-10 and we're very excited.  We are looking to do one day trip (besides Versailles) and would love to get some opinions.  we are considering a champagne region tour, Loire Valley, Mont St. Michel and a few other.

Also looking for few good restaurant recommendations.

Thanks all!

would go to Giverne  Monet house  it looks just like he left it

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Don,

Regarding day trips:

Definitely visit Versailles.  It's proximal, easy to get to, and huge.  I think a person could easily spend a couple of days there, with the main palace, the massive park and gardens and Marie Antoinette's Trianon and Petit Trianon.  Be sure to walk down to the lake where you can rent row boats and bicycles.  We rented bicycles at the head of the lake and biked to the Trianon.  It helped with the feet, since it's a good walk from the train station to the palace, then touring the inside of the Palace on foot, then the massive park/gardens.  There are other things (carts and trams) that you can rent or ride in the gardens/park.  Just inquire when you get there.

You can also take day trips to the Loire Valley for castle visits and also Bruges is very doable.  I think Normandie is a bit far, and though you could do it, I believe most of your time would be spent driving with not a lot of time left over for sightseeing, and there is an enormous amount to see in the area.  I almost would save Normandie for it's own vacation honestly, though if it's hard to get to France very often and you really want to see something specific, then you do what you need to do.

For Loire Valley, there are a few options, you could

1) rent a car in Paris and do a day trip.  The downside of this is that no one likes to drive in Paris on the streets, it's a bit crazy, though if you work with the hotel, they may be able to get you to a car with good directions to get right on the highway from the hotel/car rental and you'll be on your way out of Paris on the highway and not having to deal with the horrible city street driving that exists in Paris.  The Ren Adt might be well located for this sort of option.  The upside of a car is that you are on your own time table.  Get a good nav system and a good guide book with Loire Valley Castles and dinning recommends, and you're on your way.  As far as castles to visit, three excellent ones that you will never forget are: Chambord, Chenonceau and Cheverny.  The farthest castle is Chenonceau, about a 2.5 hour drive from AdT, then work your way back.  We had lunch at a wonderful restaurant right outside of Cheverny.  It was excellent.  Also, Cheverny has a working kennel of hunting dogs, and if you time it right, you can watch them at meal time, which is a delightful sight (if you like dogs).  Each castle is very different from the other and has it's own unique history, architecture and beauty to offer.  If I ever did the castles again (and I would like to), I would do it by car, but I am no longer intimidated by driving in and out of Paris.  We did the guided tour bus 8 years ago and were not disappointed in the least.  I would just like to go back and spend more time at each castle for more thorough exploration.

2) you could train from Paris Austerlitz to Orleans, then rent a car at the Orleans train station and do Loire Valley by car if you wanted to avoid driving in and out of Paris.

3) you could take a bus tour (about 12 hours) from 8am to 8pm.  Upside is comfortable transportation, English speaking guide with lots of good information, admission prices are included as is lunch.  Downside is time at each castle is limited.

The tours are expensive upwards of $160/person, but they do include admission prices and lunch.  But the train and car rental combination isn't cheap either.  It just depends on how you like to do things, be in control and on your own or be taken on a tour.

For Bruges

1) You could train from Gare du Nord in Paris, but it's not cheap as far as I can tell.

2) You could take a guided motor coach tour, which is what we did.  Same thing, comfortable transportation, about 12 hours start to finish, great English speaking guide, but again because of distance, time is limited.

3) You could rent the car, just like to Loire Valley.

Someone recommended Giverny.  I've never been, but it sounds lovely and seems very easy and affordable.  Either rent a car and drive or catch a train from Saint Lazare train station in Paris to Vernon, then catch a taxi or bus shuttle to Giverny from Vernon.  I would probably stick with that and Versailles, rather than squeeze the farther out places in.  It depends on whether or not you've visited Paris in the past and if so, how much you've already seen or would like to see again.  There is a TON of things to see in Paris.  I've been 4 times for about a week a piece in the last 9 years, and I feel I could do another dozen trips and not ever tire of it.  So if it's a first visit or first visit in a long time, why not relax and keep to the lovely places that are proximal to the city and easy and affordable to get to.

Lots of good thoughts and ideas here in this thread for you.  Best of luck and feel free to ask more questions.

pluto,

Wonderful information!

Just would like to add a few comments that may help:

To go to Versailles, take the metro to the Eiffel Tower station and go on the RER which ends at Versailles.  That is the fastest, easiest and cheapest way to get there.  One can have the Concierge help with the details  Here are some photo's:

IMG_0539.JPG

This is a "Fun trip" and relaxing!

Hope you enjoy!

Good point Jerry, and the sign in your photo is an important clue.

At metro station Charles de Gaulle Etoile (underneath the Arc de Triomphe), catch metro line 6 towards Nation, and get off/transfer at Champs de Mars/Tour Eiffel (5th stop), then transfer to the RER C line towards Versailles, making sure that you catch the RER C train that goes to Versailles Rive Gauche, not Saint Quentin (the track splits at some point).  See the sign in Jerry's photo above.  When you leave the train station at Versailles Rive Gauche, just follow the signs to the palace.

pluto,

Good information!

I don't think that there is a better way to get to Versailles than the way you described. The trip is really pretty scenic!

IMG_0537.JPG

This is a photo as you cross the Seine approaching the RER Station to transfer to go to Versailles!

IMG_0540.JPG

It was a beautiful day and you will want to make sure you "Check-out" events in Paris, prior to your trip!  I didn't and there was a Paris to Versailles Marathon that day.  The RER was pretty crowded, as the runners were using it to return to Paris!  Still a wonderful experience.

One will have a good time, but wear your "Best" walking shoes!

donc Gold

Thank you all again for the great ideas, opinions and tips.  One thing I found odd was that when I contacted the concierge at the AdT, they quoted me a price of 175 euros for a one way transfer from CDG airport, and that was the lowest of the options they gave me. I thought that was a bit on the high side. Otherwise, looking forward to the trip in 2 weeks!!!!

Too rich for my blood.  A taxi will cost about 60€.  Or train to Gare du Nord or Chatelet on RER B (blue) from CDG and then pick up a taxi, which will cost about 40€ (two train tix + taxi from train station.)  Or if you're a glutton for punishment (as am I), transfer to the RER A (red) at Chatelet, exit at Charles de Gaulle Etoile (Arc de Triomphe) and walk down the street with your luggage to the hotel for about 8,50€/each.

Anyway, je suis envieuxe!  Bien s'amuser!

donc,

Wow, prices have gone up!

I wonder if that was for the VIP Treatment.  That's where they meet you as you get off the place, take you thru customs help with luggage and get you directly to hotel?

The RER is a great way to go, if you don't have too much luggage.  But if you do, be careful.  You will be tired, and there may be many steps to negotiate as well.  Just don't be an "Easy Target" for criminals!

donc,

I have done all the ways from CDG to the Marriotts, here's how it goes:

With buddies, RER, and Metro, luggage: one carry on!  8 Euros' plus tip for doorman.

With "Lady Coin", "Private hostess" at exit from plane, get's us thru customs, get "Seven large bags",  into a Mercedes S-Class for 373 Euros, and give driver, guide and doorman tip!  Cost 400 Euros.  Now you know why I "Work" all the time!

The service is great and the good news is I only use the service coming from CDG, used to do it both ways.  Really din't think it was that expensive, but costs must have really gone up!  Will do again (One way in May).

IMG_2295.JPG

Samantha, "Greets" you as you exit the door of the plane at CDG!  Take you quickly thru customs, gathers your luggage, walks you out the door to your car.

IMG_2298.JPG

Philippe, puts you in the rear seats, drives you to the hotel!

IMG_1637.JPG

One of the fine "Concierges" will then assist on "Making you comfortable"!IMG_1656.JPG

BTW,  Helene, is another wonderful "Guide" who makes getting thru CDG after a long flight, "A pleasure"!

Well I had better get back to work, I have some upcoming "Travel expenses" to cover!

Thank-you donc for the information.  I am ready for the "Sticker Shock" now!

Jerry,

That was a great photo exposé.  I just realized that once you hit Paris soon, you and Lady Coin will have done Rome, London and Paris all within a six month period.

Now that's the way to roll, my friend!  You and profchiara, with her frequent excursions to places like Nice, Athens, Santorini, London, Venice and Rome all within short periods of time, have really got it goin' on.  Well done!

shanghaisha Platinum 1 Reviews

Donc,  did you ever let us know about your Paris trip at the AdT last year?  I am going on April 1 2015 for a week there...any suggestions about floor, room, location, restaurants>?  Thanks in advance for any info.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Don't know if you're a Marriott Vacation Club owner or not, but you might enjoy trip to the Marriott Village d'lle-de-France to check it out. You might even check with village, or MVC home office, to see if they might provide a couple of  free award nights to review the facility

http://www.marriottvacationclub.com/vacation-resorts/marriott-village-dile-de-france/overview.shtml

If you do decide on  buying into MVC for yourself, tell them I referred you (I will benefit from this). We haven't stayed here yet, but plan to in near future.

Fred,

Another wonderful suggestion!

I am not a Vacation Club owner but have stayed at Marriott Village d'lle-de-France and it was great.  Good place to visit The Loire Valley or Champagne Region.

FH050032.jpg

Condo like place to stay, very relaxing!

Location Brand Hotel
    jetsetter888 Platinum

Which hotel did you end up staying at?

one more point if you are staying at Ren jerry C did give me a couple of restaurant choices close to the hotel but I would also highly recommend if you bring an ipad or computer using wifi get onto trip advisor and click restaurants near me . You will get a list with all reviews in the area. I used to find a couple of local restaurants that were small and wonderful

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...