55 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2014 9:16 PM by tklocke RSS

SUGGESTIONS FOR ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR PLATINUM ELITE

Platinum 28 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

WITH ALL THE POSTINGS ABOUT THE DETERIORATION OF BENEFITS AND VALUE OF POINTS I SEE FEW POSTINGS SUGGESTING THE POSSIBILITY OF ADDITIONAL BENEFITS.

YOUR IDEAS ON NEW/ADDED BENEFITS THAT MARRIOTT COULD AWARD PLATINUM ELITE LEVEL MEMBERS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED BY ME AND OTHER INTERESTED MEMBERS.

I will begin with an idea that came to my (simple) mind:

Offer MARRIOTT GIFT CARDS at a lower rate for Platinum Elite Members.  This would be a wonderful acknowledgement by Marriott's appreciation of their most valued (?) customers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR PLATINUM ELITE
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

they offer discounted room rates for seniors and AAA why not platinum's

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

As you know as well as anyone, many of us have stopped suggesting new benefits because we're busy trying to keep the ones we have (the ol' don't wake the sleeping bear concept). Anything else we wanted; guaranteed upgrades, ability to add points to certificates, BOGOs, CLs open on weekends, gift cheques for 135k points, more rewarding/easier MegaBonus process, more Elite offers, etc etc etc, has most likely already been turned down or taken away. But since I also engage in fantasy baseball, I'll play along;

My fantasy benefit for Platinums - when Marriott offers a From $*** rate offer, Platinums have a special code to enter to actually see the date when it is offered, rather than the current hunt, peck, and seldom find process. Marriott is willing to sell at those rates, why not to their most loyal customers?

Question - what's the difference between Bigfoot and my benefit request?   It's possible you may one day see Bigfoot.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

How about waiving parking fees? The thread Member Discount Parking Price highlights the pain of these charges and how quickly they can add up. I know often parking is in non-Marriott owned facilities, but if the hotel is going to charge you to park, they should be able to "comp" the fees for Platinum members.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

How about (by now, everyone should know my biggest gripe)?

Darn, can't resist - GUARANTEED SUITES ON POINTS!

jack613 Silver

for platinum members who have 75 or more paid nights should be treated in recognition of their loyalty to once or twice a year(especially for that once a year family vacation)to recieve a free upgrade to a suite.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
    1. A Special Platinum Elite section on www.marriott.com that would give Platinum members real (not generic) special deals, based on customer relationship marketing intelligence: for example if a person spends a lot of time at full service hotels, give that person deals primarily at those properties and in the locations they frequent the most.
    2. Longevity awards for Platinum Members:  Five consecutive Platinum years, a bump of 10,000 MR points, etc.
    3. Discounted Platinum only room rates.
    4. Suite purchases with points
    5. Surprise me type awards randomly given to Platinum members, not all, such as a free night, free parking, free dinner, etc.

dejamo Platinum

Oh hell, why not.................since we are talking with a southern Texas drawal

I vote that as a favor to all of us Platinum lifers....................even those that don't drink the koolaid any longer..............that Marriott use it's omnipresent millennial pixie dust and convince them to pick "Johnny Football" somewhere higher than the proposed 4th round in the NFL draft.

That prospect has a better chance at succeeding than any of the other ones noted above !.

And so it is written..........................

Maybe Oakland they need the help and a lot more Johnny's to boot

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Please no, no NO "Johnny Foot in Mouth", much rather have a 1/2 speed erc or misterchk than that other guy.

Was it communitymanager I saw opening another box of a powder material to mix with water when he saw this thread?

erc Platinum

IAHFLYR

There you go again, rousing me from my beauty sleep and stirring up trouble. First off, even though at my age I live by the axiom, "the older I get the better I was", with my torn ACL (have you read how many geezers die from surgical complications or hospital infections?, I can go w/o racquetball, volleyball, fly patterns and tracking down a frozen rope) I'm not even at half speed, so choose Johnny and help him grow up (he does after all, to his credit, want to play for you, that's a plus).
        Realizing this thread was an intellectual exercise, I participated with a suggestion.
        But to bring us back to reality, we only need consider this, to measure Insider influence - in spite of all of the protest over Courtyard in this very forum (Think about CY w/Bistro Boycott  2600 views, 50 protesting replies, Seriously Rethinking Staying at CYs - 6600 views 124 protesting replies among many thoughtful complaints and threads) guess which brand in the US is the one that leads all others by more than 50% in 2014 new hotel development?
        Pixie dust  dejamo  and power material mixed with water (iah) indeed. Everything old is new again;
        2008-13 New Plat Benefit Suggestions
        Keep on keepin' on Insiders, but let's keep it real.

It is great fun to rouse you from anything so guess I'll keep on keepin on!

And I actually think that IAH guy meant Powder, but one cannot be sure.

While I like the "straight talk" philosophy, that even seems like "pixie dust" IMO.

dejamo Platinum

WOW erccie..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bold type no less !

So the Hilton Monogrammed Terrycloth robe I had them put in your Courtyard closet (the one with the built in TED Hose) was a big hit then I take it)?

LOL

erc Platinum

Aah my ol' pal dejamo, owner of the site's most eye catching avatar.

Bold print was for attention grabbing, not level of sadness. You know my feelings from the very beginning of the non-breakfast, few upgrade Courtyards; to paraphase my pal Eva Peron,

"Don't cry for me Courtyard Bistro,

the truth is I never liked you

all through my lodging

my overnight stays

I kept my distance

don't keep your daft ways"

Now, if they mess with my SpringHill waffles - why I oughtta....

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I guess someone is buying those Starbuck's coffees and Bistro fare.

I like the changing light colors at night in the Tallahassee, FL Capitol CY, too, as well as most of their rooms even when we can't get upgraded because we're not checking in under husband's PP name.

BTW, good post erc , as per your usual.  You are the biggest help to me usually.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I think the benefit I would want most (and that is very reasonable) is online self-service customizable Mega Bonus offers.  You can call them and change the promotion (and I have done that), but I would like the ability to very easily pick free certificates or points online.  I actually prefer the points, but I don't travel enough in some seasons to hit the minimum threshold.

For free parking (though I would really appreciate this and it would open up more properties to me), I think that is a tough one because parking is so expensive in some cities and the hotel/property would be taking on a significant cost.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

just to be consistent in their offerings, whatever they may be

erc Platinum

This is where I truly believe Insiders have the best potential for impact.  Attempting to persuade Marriott to pursue effective communication, consistent application, and straightforward interaction with Rewards Members.

Pursuing a quixotic (IMO) quest for additional benefits that add costs (as opposed to obvious win/wins, if there are any) dilutes the impact of the Insider voice and apparently has Marriott turning a deaf ear to our ongoing 'requests'. Hit target, seek optimal is an effective goal accomplishment strategy; I would love to see us get Marriott to the point of 'straight talk' **** first and go from there.

**** this involves all aspects of interaction (pricing, programs, packages etc) not just Rewards

cktaymd Platinum

What about the ability to upgrade when making reservations online.  I have found that, as a platinum member, I have rarely received a room upgrade, but perhaps if you offerred the opportunity to do this, say "twice per year", it would be a perk.  Thanks for the opportunity to opine.

I agree with that one, misterchk, as well as the MegaBonus, but then, I think the MegaBonus choice should be available to everyone.   

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I think that is a good point. Customizing MegaBonus should be an option for everyone.  One thing I would like to see is improved visibility and access to new properties (as well as a channel to provide feedback).  For example, when a new property opens...

1. A specific email informing top elites of a new property (I know they have that general email, but I kind of ignore them because a lot of the email does not pertain to me)

2. Some type of promotion to encourage a stay (a discounted rate and/or reduced points required)

3. A survey/website to provide feedback

Other companies do this for their top customers. Those companies are more product-based whereas Marriott is hospitality, but it would be nice to feel included in the shaping/improving of Marriott's new products.

No matter what the "perk" as someone else here implied, it cannot cost Marriott a lot of money. This furthers my request to allow guaranteed rooms on points.

Marriott - ARE YOU LISTENING?

The GAAP board has argued for several years to require company loyalty programs to have their points/miles booked to their balance sheet as liabilities (perhaps this rule has already been promulgated, but I don't know for certain). Any good financial person knows that this offsets asset value which in turn, lowers the company's overall value. Consequently, companies have one of two choices - - -

1. Devalue the points which in turn, lowers the total liability, or
    2. Provide members good cause to use up those points without incurring ridiculous incremental costs to burn up those points

To use ADDITIONAL points to guarantee a suite accomplishes both - use up points at little incremental cost to Marriott. If a suite is going to remain empty (no cash customer has purchased it), then the incremental cost of switching from a "standard room" to a suite is almost nil to the property. In the meantime, additional points are required which lowers the balance sheet liability. WIN/WIN Marriott.

So - Marriott - have your bean-counters ENCOURAGE this program and improve your balance sheet! Quit devaluing points to offset liabilities!

Here, here, and yes to all of the above.

erc Platinum

We're certainly on the right track. How do we respond to the Marriott pushback that suites are  A) higher margin and B) impact rooms for closing deals and if they allow a suite to be booked by points ahead of check-in, they lose the potential of selling/bartering the suite?

I'm not arguing against the idea, I'm trying to fortify it.

ps- as pingreeman has mentioned before, like stelzer001 he's an accountant/finance guy so stay with us stelz, he's using Beancounter in the pejorative sense toward those accountants who are myopically focused only on cost controls, not toward accountants in general - us Insiders must stick together to move the mountain.

Also, something for us to keep in mind (the obvious to all of us in this forum) - as consumers, we are in one of our weakest bargaining positions in a long time. Just yesterday, the Hilton CEO (like Sorenson has said before) was highlighting the strength of the industry as supply of properties (due to the virtual shutdown in development financing in the previous 4-5 years) remains way behind the demand, so once again occupancy will not only remain high but continue to grow even in the face of rate hikes.

erc

Are they including resorts in that comparison?  That would be interesting to know whether that option is deliberately being ignore or not.

erc Platinum

Often, as nuhusker taught me, resorts DO allow you to upgrade a points award stay with points certificates (not cheaply, but available, which is business). The drawback with resorts can often be availability, as you wade into the no blackout blackout (which is a bit squishy) and the general demand issue (which is fair - first come, first serve).

I agree w/pingreeman, the ability to use points to purchase/secure an upgrade at a full service non-resort or a Residence Inn (a two bedroom or 'penthouse' loft for example) would be a significant benefit which would seem to be a minor incremental cost to the property (other than my example above of opportunity cost).

I do love the RI penthouse except if you have to take too many prescribed "meds" as jerrycoin would say, those stairs are a hazard. 

As mentioned before the pingreeman concept is one I'd very much like to see acted upon.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

as a card carrying bean counter, I agree, but on the other hand, the FASB is never going to make anyone book value on the books for reward programs, too much drag on current EPS and the hit to the stock price, oh my, Janet Yellen will need to figure out how to over stimulate the economy if companies are required to book an expense for future freebies. Now what do I want? Like Hyatt, 4 free suite upgrades at my choosing per year. Bfast for me and my spouse and my under 18 children, not just for 2 guests. The free upgrades cost them $0. The Bfats, a few $, as my kids eat cereal and a glass of joiuce, and paying $18 for that seems a bit stiff. The gross margin is great from them, bad for me.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

stetzer

I want free suite upgrades as much as you do, but how can you say the cost to them for that is ZERO?  The properties will demand increased payment from corporate on suite stays and that will cost money.  am I missing something?

stelzer001 - (Yes - erc is correct, I hold a CPA license). Digging a little deeper, FASB does have proposed ASU (Accounting Standards Update #605) (comments were due by 12/2012)that deals with "Revenue from Contracts with Customers" and has an impact on loyalty program points. The most concise description / definition for our fellow MRIs and non-bean-counters like us, can best be found here: Rewards programs face new reporting rules with the following key statements:

. . . hotel companies must now account for the issuance of points as a separate component of the sale. For example, a sale of US$1,000 will be recorded in two parts: US$950 of revenue recognized on the profit and loss statement immediately, and deferred revenue of US$50 for points value

AND

. . . companies that have been accruing liability based on the actual cost of the points and rewards issued must now account for the deferred revenue at the fair market value. In some cases, a big gap separates the perceived value of the award to the consumer (say, two free room nights in Paris) and the actual incremental cost of delivery the reward to the issuer (say, the cost of changing the linens once a day)

I did not realize that loyalty points have, for the most part, been counted and recorded as liabilities.

I found this part of the article the most fascinating (I inserted some of my comments):

The amount of revenue deferred and/or recognized in any period is contingent upon such things as the number of members enrolled in the program, the number of program member hotel stays, the number of points redeemed by members (to my point - the more points redeemed the lower the liability), the point levels assigned to our various hotels (the higher cost of redemption per room night lowers the point value and liability - hence the annual "re-tiering" of hotels into higher categories), and the level of occupancy at the hotels.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Great discussion. misterchk, I wanted to let you know that Elites do receive a discount on giftcards (you might need to be signed in with your Rewards account to see them though).

Check out the giftcards from the Shop Populr link

Offer MARRIOTT GIFT CARDS at a lower rate for Platinum Elite Members.  This would be a wonderful acknowledgement by Marriott's appreciation of their most valued (?) customers.

giftcard.jpg

erc Platinum

This earns three George Takei's "oh my"s.

1) It is a discount and misterchk asked for a discount - so no quarrel there, thanks for the update

2) Marriott does well in the rewards point arbitrage game - it would cost us (altho 50k is max purchase) $687.50 to buy 55,000 points, we can sell 55,000 points for $200. But, still, it's better than letting them rot

3) A quick way to look at it for those wanting to burn points - 27,500 points for $100. A Cat. 5 (25,000 points) is almost always significantly more than $100 per night, so for the flexibility of gift card cash, a relatively steep premium; but again, it is a discount and a discount was requested.

4) At these prices, it reminds me of Omaha Steaks, who often offer 50%off  on meat marked up 75%, but again, it is a discount.

So, please, no one get their knickers in a twit, I'm not knocking NathalieF, if anything it demonstrates my point about how carefully we must as a team approach Marriott regarding better benefits.

Yeah, but 275,000 for elites for a total of $1000 vs. 300,000 for everyone else when $1000 gift card itself can be exchanged by everyone for 255,000 pts. isn't exactly what I was thinking of as a discount.  I doubt that anyone else was, either.

Thanks for those who were and for trying to find a great offer for us.

erc  You got your answer in while I was still looking. 

P.S.:  I just noticed that a $500 gift card is just 130,000 pts. which is a safe loss of only 5K pts. in case something better comes along.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I've tried to distill my primary suggestion here:

Flexible rewards for Marriott's best customers?

In a nutshell

• everything has a price
    • anything with a price should be available with points
    • only Marriott's very best customers have huge war chests (of hundreds of thousands or millions of points)
    • Marriott should work with - if not bend over backwards to help - its best customers spend their points at Marriott properties.
    • Oh, and by the way, the competition does this, so all Marriott has to do is match the competition's policy/offer.

All very true ssindc, excellent points and something we all hope gets some attention!! 

But who is that right person to get these ideas to?  Seems like we are spraying in the wind so to speak!

IAHFLYER

unfortunately, there is no 'right' person.  this is just a silly game we play on Insiders to create posts in hopes of winning prizes…...

Of course, that is just one man's opinion….

right on!

tklocke Platinum 3 Reviews

How about waving the resort fees for gold and plat members. The advertised benefits of the resort fee are generally included as a benefit for achieving status. Why should I pay a resort fee for internet when it's free?