40 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2014 5:42 PM by bpelican RSS

Issues with posting and replying on MRI

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am posting this as a new thread as I tried to post in the Re: Not Fade Away? thread, but when I tried to post I received a pinkish/red box with an exclamation point and no explanation as to the reason my post would not go through.

NathalieF, can you comment at all as to any issues that have been occurring with the site?  If you read through the Re: Not Fade Away? thread you will see others have also note issues with posting and replying to posts.

Additionally, I had the following post: Tool to explore flight deals flagged as "advertising", however this recent post (Frontier Airlines to expand service in Trenton, NJ) was not considered "advertising".  Can you comment on why this would be?

Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Issues with posting and replying on MRI
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I've also noticed issues with the "credits" on MRI updating. Normally when an Insider "likes" a post (or when someone "likes" your comment), the activity credits increase. This doesn't seem to be happening all the time. I've long since stopped worrying about what my "score" is, but I do sometimes like to check the activity to know when someone has liked a comment I posted.

I've had some of the same issues jakeal mentioned, but most of them seem to go away only to return later. It's no fun when something we've come to accept as reliable starts acting strange. I hope whatever the issue turns out to be gets resolved soon.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

bejacob

I've noticed this issue also for the last week or so.  Sometimes you get credit and sometimes you don't.  If it isn't fixed, it's going to be very difficult for MIs to progress up the ladder which may be important to many of them.  Sounds like the NathalieF is on it and he usually gets some resolution of the problem.  Let me know if you get this post to verify it got through to you.  Thanks.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks boelican and bejacob, specifically with participation credits for liking content, we've made an adjustment to include a daily limit on that action. So you likely saw new credits and then a delay which   may have appeared as a bug. Sorry for the confusion.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

NathalieF,

Thanks for your explanation.  Just so you know, credits are not posting for contributions to discussions.  Unless, your comment above applies also to replying to posts, it appears one of the bugs with the sites has to do with credits posting after replying to a post.  Two replies I wrote earlier today were done using Firefox as my browser and no credits were given.  I am crafting this reply in Chrome and will let you know if I see a difference in credits.

EDIT - after posting this reply, I am not seeing a increase in credits.  However, under the "Reputation" tab in my profile I am seeing "1 credits" for each of the discussions I have contributed to.  

Like bejacob, I am not overly concerned about the number of credits I have, but am pointing this out in case it is also is affecting other parts of the site.

Thanks again communitymanager for working on these issues.

Message was edited by: jakeal

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I am also experiencing multiple problems with the system rejecting posts that I make.  something is amiss….

Thanks for letting us know. If you experience issues replying to a post, please email me details at insidershelp@marriott.com to help me troubleshoot. I have not yet been able to replicate the issue so details like; your operating system, your browser and it's version number, what you tried to do, what happened including any error messages. Thanks everyone!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I have had issues in numerous areas and fashions since the first day it was posted that people were having trouble with the site. It is not one issue but many different ones regarding posting to sites, likes showing up, etc. such as bejacob mentioned. I don't think it is a browser issue since it has never happened before to so many different people. It happens sporatically as bj mentioned and it has kept me off the site for 3 or 4 days because of the frustration. Once in a while I get a post in but more often than not it will not let me post. I have gotten quite a few times nothing but a red line and exclamation point showing me that the post did not post, and sometimes it just will not let me post. I click on post but it does nothing at all so I cancel, try something else (cut and paste, repost, etc. but still nothing. Hopefully you can figure something out soon or you more than likely will lose alot of insiders.

Thanks for looking into the matter.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Hang in there madmax this site would not be the same without you.  I know it's annoying, but our NathalieF should be able to get some action on the problems.  I was a Computer Programmer at one stage of my career and know that sometimes when you try to fix what appears to be a simple problem can result in serious unintended consequences.  Possibly that has happened here. 

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

yes you make a very smart point bpelican in programming issues. When one change is made, it can effect many other areas of the site. NathalieF just mentioned a change in how many "likes" a person can make daily now...wondering if that or some other little "change" has caused so much turmoil with posting? I too have some programming experience and know there seems to always be some backlash with almost every change in a program unfortunately.

And btw, communitymanager, a somewhat curious change to "likes"... just curious as to what prompted the daily limit?

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

NathalieF,

Will this affect the "Top Liked" tab on the main page?  It appears that MRI can still "like" posts, but just will not receive "credit" for them. Is that correct?

Since, I brought up the topic of "Top Liked", just a suggestion: I do not find the "Top Liked" or "Popular" options on the main page to be helpful.  It would be more helpful for me to see the most recent posts like we do now, but broken out by category.

Thanks for your consideration.

No problem jakeal, I can double check on that but the top liked or trending content should not be impacted. while not a categorized activity feed, another way to find interesting discussions is with the trending content on the right side of the activity feed. There's even content suggested for you based upon your activity. Activity | Marriott Rewards® Insiders

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

another issue I just saw on the home board NathalieF is the order of the postings. The top posting was jerrycoins post about London but activity showed to be posted 1 hour ago. Under that post was this post which said the latest activity posted was 13 minutes ago. I haven't seen that come about before as they have always been in order of latest post time. Just letting you know of another issue I saw, not that it is a big one but one nonetheless.  Thanks for working on this and hopefully the bugs will be worked out and site will be back to normal very soon.

Thanks madmax

erc Platinum

madmax

There's some strange goings on with this forum, especially today. Perhaps it's a tribute to the late, great Harold Ramis and some psychomagnotheric slime gumming up the works. Seems to me the IT gang at Marriott should "grab a seat, make themselves at home and join Mohammad, Jugdish, Sydney, Clayton and Kent Dorfman, because these forum tech headaches seem a bit like Groundhog Day, and "that's the fact, jack"!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

erc Somebody crossed the streams!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

ha I was just about to say it was better today as I only had one message come back to me, but when I tried to reply to this one, voila! ERROR

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

It's deja vu deja vu all over again...all over again

I think communitymanager may have to fall back 5 and punt

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

communitymanager,

Not sure if there have been any tweaks / changes made, but I am not having any problems today posting, replying, etc.

Awesome and glad to hear it! Thanks for your patience

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

NathalieF,

I am still having issues with the MRI site.  After posting and replying to threads I am not having any credits posted.  However, it does seem like any issues with replying and posting have dissipated.

Can you comment on any outstanding issues with the site that may be causing the credit glitch I am referencing?

Thanks.

jakeal See NathalieF's post of Feb. 25 @ 11:52 am above. It seems there's now a daily limit of 4(?) credits, no matter the number of posts or "likes." I don't know it that was the intention, but it seems that's the result.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Thanks foxglove.  I thought communitymanager's post that you reference was only speaking to credit for "liking" content, not posting or replying.

Regardless, when replying or posting I am not seeing any credits added to my total (not even the daily limit you mention).

Well, like I say, I don't know if management meant to cap it even for posts and replies, which seems like a slight disincentive for participation, but it appears that's what's happened.

If I remember correctly, posting and replying never added MRI credits. Points (not reward points, but MRI credits) are added for liking content, tagging posts, status updates, blog entries, following another Insider, reviewing a property, marking a question as helpful or correct, and likely several other actions (which at the moment I can't recall).

In any case just posting a reply or comment wouldn't increase your tally.

This may be causing some of the confusion.

From the getting started guide:

Participation Score

"Your participation score is a reflection of your individual activity and participation in the community. You'll earn participation credits (not Marriott Rewards points) for each new discussion, reply, helpful answer and more."

It does seem that participation would be credit-worthy.

Participation credits are earned for completing specific actions or "missions". Some are repeatable and some require multiple actions.

You can view a complete list of the missions you have left to earn

1. click on your credits (alongside your username)
          2. click more
          3. and select "missions" in the left column

participation-score-missions.jpg

Thanks Andy. Is there a reason that the number of "likes" is now limited?

In a typical day, I find anywhere between 5 and 15 items to like. Some days (especially after being offline for a few days) the number jumps even higher. While a cap makes sense, it seems the new limit is a bit too restrictive (IMHO).

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I concur bejacob

NathalieF And along those same lines, my question would be, "Why does starting or replying to  a discussion receive no participation credit?" Since there would be no MRI community without the dialogue, credits for participating in discussions would likely encourage participation from more members.

Because it wasn't that long ago that I "got started," I remembered reading the blurb I posted above (9:15 am) as I explored the site.

erc Platinum

NathalieF - Andy

Ok, like ol' Rip over there, I'm just waking up to this issue, which still isn't really an issue to me, but you've responded several times and it's apparently  an ongoing topic, so it has piqued my curiousity. I checked that reputation link you mentioned (I learn stuff every month about the bowels of this forum) and saw the ranking of posts. Now, like shoe, nu, and most others, I'm not necessarily interested in who ranks where based on credits, but in looking at the top 10-15 there are some folks there that I,a weekly, if not daily reader, have never heard of and some have over 4,000 credits this year!

I was under the impression that 'credits' were an indication (which has somewhat of a value) of contribution to the forum.  So essentially, a Like is weighted as the same contribution as a write up of a property with photos, suggestions, and ideas? Wow.

No sweat, now I know, and besides those folks credits that I had never heard of, didn't give me the wrong impression, because I never ran across one of their posts (because there weren't any - I just checked Recent Activity - zip).

But, while this post has your attention, I would appreciate your thoughts on my Top Liked/Popular question over the weekend (man, the more I learn, the more puzzling the forum is to me - ignorance apparently was bliss). Thanks

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/106308#106308

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

NathalieF,

Can you specifically comment on whether or not credits are awarded for participation?  Having looked at the "Missions" you reference above it does not look like credit is awarded for posting or replying alone, however as foxglove pointed out above the Getting Started Guide reads as follows:

Participation Score

Your participation score is a reflection of your individual activity and participation in the community. You'll earn participation credits (not Marriott Rewards points) for each new discussion, reply, helpful answer and more.

Can you clear this up for us?

Looks like we can tighten up the language in the getting started guide . Participation credits are no longer awarded for each post or reply, but rather answers that are marked as helpful or correct because these credits are intended to encourage helpful or thoughtful participation.

Just as we don't permit spam or abusive behavior, we don't permit abuse of these credits to pad one's participation score. to your questions erc, offending threads and or replies will be removed and participation credits restored whenever the credits are abused. We are in the process of restoring the credits for those accounts.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Thanks, NathalieF.  You have a hard job keeping up with such a big site.

Thanks for all you do to respond to our questions and concerns.

Good information. We appreicate the job you do, NathalieF. Managing this bunch is like herding cats.

The regular contributors don't need to pad their participation score, but it does make sense to acknowledge them for what they bring to the site. I'm guessing this is the reason such a score was created in the first place.

Without erc, anadyr, jerrycoin, bpelican, nuhusker, pluto77, madmax, foxglove, IAHFLYR, or painedplatinum this forum would be much less interesting and engaging.

BTW, I would have included more, but I have a self-imposed cap of 10 call-outs per post (not counting the community manager) I feel like I'm giving my Oscar's speech and the music is starting up before I've finished thanking everyone.

Wait, kharada46, ssindc, fschumpert, texasvoyager, vaboywnder, lakersfan, all the blogers, merb, The specified item was not found.. Okay, I give. Thank you everyone! (expect the video bookmark spammers). MR Insiders is a great place!

erc Platinum

NathalieF

No implication of abuse and certainly nothing that offended me, I was surprised that someone with over 5,000 credits (more than 4,000 this year was someone whose name I had never seen fly across the forum).

I was writing about the recognition of the reality that liking something has as much length of service/contribution value as providing an answer like jakeal and madmax just did in record time regarding transfer of points or as much as a jerrycoin or profchiara writeup on Europe or a sg1974 list of moneysaving websites or even as much as an infamous Roger's Ramblings. Now that I've stumbled into the labyrinth, I'm interested in how  the Popular and Top Liked columns are determined, thanks.

I can very well understand the basis for limiting the number of credits one receives for giving "likes," as that would cut down on the number of those who would abuse the system to pad their participation scores. But it seems a bit odd to me that the number of likes received by a poster should be under the same participation credit cap restraint. The person receiving the like from another Insider certainly isn't padding. The "likes" continue to be tallied in the post, but the recipient's score doesn't change once the cap of 4 (?) has been reached.

Maybe it's the technology: The system can't discriminate between "given" and "received." But if I enjoy and appreciate someone's post and click "Like," I would like to think that poster would receive a credit on his or her score, regardless of how many he or she had given out or received earlier that day. That's the only way someone who didn't initiate the conversation has to express whether something's helpful or thoughtful.

Okay, I'm through beating now -- this horse is dead, and my arm's getting sore. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...