16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2014 3:45 PM by anadyr RSS

Lounge Closed, Platinum Could Select Points or Breafast?

ljharmony Platinum 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Page 3 of the Platinum's Essentials said we have the option of continental breakfast for two at the hotel's restaurant or 750 points.

Do we really have a choice?

Hotels often would give us 1,000 pts or 750 pts for the two weekend days and that's it.  We were not given the CHOICE.

MR should clarify this point as many guests have the same question: do we have the choice or it's entirely up to the hotel?

If's up to the hotel, then the latest 2014 Platinum Benefits mailing is misleading at best or worse....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Lounge Closed, Platinum Could Select Points or Breafast?
    erc Platinum

I agree with you ljharmony, it was presented that weekend breakfasts at Marriotts, JWs, Rens, and Autographs were (with the exception of listed properties who opted out of the program and therefore give 1,000 points) the elite's choice, not the hotels.  Can you name the properties so:  A) Andy or his team can research the issue and B) if they have ignored the policy, we know which properties. Breakfast is a significant evaluative criterion for many of us and 750 points comes nowhere near the costs/value of two breakfasts.

NathalieF has there been a change in the implementation of the program?

Here is the original policy (also over there in the More Like This Column in the Re:Breakfast or No Breakfast link)

(oops - here's an example of Insiders not accepting a link, sorry - )

Here's hoping there hasn't been a relaxing of the policy (which came at the cost of the much beloved Platinum Arrival Welcome Amenity of beverage and snacks).

Thanks for posting.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

thx for writing, erc.  You are right but there are a few to name them and they are not U.S. resorts.  I don't think this is an oversight by a selected few but widely practiced by those who deem their bkfst at their restaurant is way more than 750 or 1,000 pts.  I can see that but don't agree with that practice - meaning doing one thing while Corp. has been promoting another.

as indicated, inconsistency is the least but worse is total disregard.

another inconsistency which i didn't even mention is Page 3 also failed to mention the points awarded is PER STAY, not PER WEEKEND NIGHT.

if you stay for Sat. and Sunday, how many morning you have a chance to have bkfst?

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Here are links to the announcement here in the community and on Marriott.com. There hasn't been a change in policy -

free continental breakfast for 2 (7 days a week) at JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, Renaissance and Marriott Hotels across the U.S. and Canada. Any time the lounge is closed, you'll have a choice of continental breakfast for 2 in the hotel's restaurant or 750 points.

Beginning June 22, Be Our Guest for Free Breakfast – 7 days a week

Marriott Rewards Free Breakfast | Marriott Rewards Member Benefits

erc Platinum

Excellent, thanks for the follow up. This policy and your reinforcement of it is worth having access to, for the unfortunate times we run into a situation like ljharmony writes about, when properties Go Rogue.

erc Platinum

As a side note - NathalieF's response to this issue is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that Insiders has a competitive advantage over our larger and very useful FlyerTalk sibling. For all of their expertise and eyeballs, they would not have been able to secure a firm verification that the policy had not been altered (they would have only been able to discuss it in the theoretical). Between the travel expertise among Insiders and the exclusive inner track to Marriott, we must re-build this forum. Go man, go. Keep on keepin' on Insiders.

Do we have the choice or not?  As you indicated, is it one or two hotels going rogue unknowingly of the Corp. printed Policy or they have made a business decision (after cost/benefit)?

They realized some members might be ok with the 1,500 points for two weekend nights.  And even if some raised the issue as we are doing here, the hotel decided to accept the potential push-back.

From statistical perspective, given the limited responses from the loyal memebers here.  Perhaps only a tiny number of members encountered this inconsistency or rogue.

This is a good example of what is printed and published is entirely different from actual events - my weekend expereince is the inconsistency happens often at higher tier hotels locating at appealing/most traveled places such as the coastal cities in CA.

erc Platinum

Community manager confirmed that the choice is ours - not the hotels (except those listed that have opted out). Granted you may run into hotels that balk at the policy (like we used to with gift cards or welcome amenity guarantees) and if they want to be complete jerks, you may lose even after pulling up the policy. At that point, take the points and it will be time to name names and steer clear of them, if it's a relevant issue to the Insider (which to me, it is, very much so).  The grey area is like allleisure mentions the Pittsburgh Renaissance (which is greatly disappointing, because it's a great place otherwise) where they just toss out rolls, coffee, and juice and play by the letter of the rule, if not the spirit.

Platinum 28 Reviews

For what it is worth - the following properties presented me with weekend vouchers for breakfast without offering me points (2014 stays)

Raphael Hotel - Kansas City - (Autograph Collection - does not have CL)

Warner Center Marriott - Woodland Hills Ca.

Overland Park Marriott - Overland Park, KN 

allleisure Platinum

At the Warner Center Marriott did they offer the full breakfast buffet? 

At the Ren in Pttsburgh all I was offered was toast, coffee and a sweet roll or points (though they did give me points for both weekend days).

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Overland Park Marriott has been giving me 3 options:

1)  continental breakfast for two

2) upgrade to full buffet for $4 each

3) 750 points

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Fairview Park Marriott (early February stay) outside WDC offered full buffet breakfast with omelet station.

Fairview Park was one of the original (at least to me) to offer full breakfast on weekends and I'm glad they're still doing it.  Hoping to be back there in Oct where my gropu of old retired military guys will have the honor of laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Nice erc, hold them to the fire and I agree we need to have a list of places as misterchk mentions that do not offer points. We do not normally eat breakfast at a hotel, but rather find a fun spot and get away from the hotel so the points do matter.  I certainly don't stay at a hotel in order to eat just like I don't fly airlines to enjoy a nice meal.

Two stays in the last three months I found the Boutique Hotels in Downtown Portland | Portland Marriott City Center Hotel

offered either breakfast coupon or points and we took the coupon as we were flying out later the next morning.  To my surprise it was a full breakfast buffet with plenty of options.  Monterey CA Hotels | Hotels Near Monterey Bay | Monterey Marriott Hotel does not have a CL and they offered either the coupon or points and again a full buffet so we could fill up the tank before heading to Pebble Beach each morning.  Psst, ERC, they had a waffle iron.

Slightly off topic, but the Ft. Myers Gulf Coast Town Center STILL has free coffee in the lobby so all you need is to bring your own waffles iron ERC!!!

Renaissance at ATL offered the full breakfast buffet or 1000 points.  I took the points and stopped at Hardee's nearby.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...