3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2014 4:48 PM by profchiara RSS

Cross Cultural Guest Satisfaction

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The Cornell Center for Hospitality Research has released a study about cross culural guest satisfaction

They discovered that:

1. While price and location remain uppermost as decision factors, residents of some countries give considerable weight to specific services;
  2. People in different countries do consider different factors in their determination of satisfaction;
  3. The effect of certain procedures on guests’ satisfaction differs by country; and
  4. Residents of some countries generally express lower levels of satisfaction than those in other countries.

The abstract is free (and cited above) but you must be registered to read the entire study, sorry.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Cross Cultural Guest Satisfaction
    jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

anadyr,

Thanks for sharing this and providing the abstract.  I am not surprised that there are different levels of satisfaction among some cultures.  Did you read the entire study?  Did they list the "specific services" that different nationalities put considerable weight on?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Not yet but I have bookmarked it for later reading.  Novel writing is my am pursuit!!!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

This is fascinating, because I definitely have noticed it on tripadvisor at places I have stayed, restaurants at which I have eaten, etc.  Some Americans can be really snarky, but for the most part the worst reviews seem to come from people in other countries. While they only send me stats occasionally and I can't find it in my profile, it seems like the people who appreciate my reviews the most are about 34% from non-American and non-UK sources (and considering where I go, that almost certainly means Europeans like my reviews).  The US and UK factions were about tied.  But probably most of that is simply the fact that I travel exclusively abroad.

But beware regional rivalries -- despite travel to and from regularly, the French hate the Italians and vice versa, the Germans hate the French and vice versa, the French and the UK have a longstanding (very longstanding) hostile relationship etc.

But I also think we expect different things when we are from different countries.  I think things have evened out a lot in recent decades.  (I will never forget the 1980s norms for Paris -- rooms with shared bathrooms and one twin bed; stand up squat toilets in almost all restaurants, etc.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...