23 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2014 7:56 AM by tker RSS

2014 Category Changes-Anyone heard anything?

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just curious if I missed any updates for this year. Announcement came out towards the beginning of February last year for 2013 changes.

Thank you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 2014 Category Changes-Anyone heard anything?
    jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

tker,

You may find some useful information in the following discussion:

Re: Category Ten on the Horizon?

Erc did a nice job digging up dates of when changes have been announced over the last four years.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

So how much longer?  Merb didn't bother to reply when I asked her how long.  Stony silence from Marriott.  Makes me wonder, how about everyone else?

erc Platinum

Be careful what you wish for - it's inevitable, and it's coming. If we keep pushing (and I agree with you, the sooner we know the better) Marriott will bring it out and act like by doing us the favor of telling us, they've added to our benefits!

It is now March - and still nothing!  No responses to EMails, nothing on the Insiders thread. All very, very quiet.  I have bonus nights to book, and want to know what the new categories are first.  But nothing!  Not very encouraging is it.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Tommo781,

To reference a post by erc in a similar thread:

2010 - announced 2/24

2011 - announced 3/2

2012 - announced 2/27

2013 - announced 2/11

So at this point we are looking at the latest announced date in the last four years.  But, as erc so wisely states "Be careful what you wish for - its inevitable and its coming." 

What do you mean by bonus nights? Award nights?

I would go ahead and book. You can always cancel and rebook if (unlikely) cat. drops. Otherwise you are locking in current categories.

Well, I've just looked and Bournemouth and Hanbury Manor in the UK, have just gone from 5 to 6.  This means that my bonus nights will no longer be valid there.  So the changes have been made, but not publicised.  Why, Marriott?

I doubt that any sweeping changes have been made. In addition, those changes have always been effective in May or so. Individual properties have bumped categories on different cycles. Flyertalk has thread on these a couple of times a year. It catches people off guard. I don't think that should be allowed, but again don't think they have made the annual changes we are looking for.

Hi Tker.

Thanks for that.  But I know that last week the 2 properties I mentioned were cat 5 and now are cat 6.  What a pain!

I am not doubting you for a second. Just hoping its the "one-offs" not the master published changes. Maybe I am being too optimistic.

Oh dear.  I didn't mean to insinuate that you were doubting me.  It is just that I have some bonus nights for cat 1-5, and had a list of prefered venues.  Overnight the two mentioned have gone from 5 to 6.

We do too. Ren. Aruba was a 5 then 6 then 5 now a 6. I hoping……

There are about 3-4 places we use them for. DC during the week are a great value.

erc Platinum

We are very fortunate in the DC area for the variety of Cat. 5's and even a few terrific Cat. 4's (that won't be mentioned out of my paranoid superstition that anything I admit liking, get's taken away ). Tonight we're kicking off Mardi Gras with dinner in the terrific restaurant Bethesda Md. neighborhood and a Zydeco band at Bethesda Blues and Jazz with a stay at the very pleasant (great breakfast) Cat. 5 Bethesda Residence Inn.

We fly for pleasure out of Dulles several times a year. Better international selection than BWI. Often times we are using FF miles so we need the flexibility. We love Marriott Dulles Suites. On the weekend, you can get MR rates of $67/night. Unbeatable-I would never use a certificate or points there. But, Sun-Thurs its $279/night. That's when we use the certs.

Its in a great neighborhood too. Lots of places to eat. We really enjoy it.

BTW, another GREAT weekend value in the area is the Ritz Tysons. Often available for $169/night (AAA). Nice getaway. Its part of the Tysons Galleria. My wife (and my credit cards) love the shopping. Again, great restaurants.

erc Platinum

Wow, I was going to ask what tker asked (because several NYC properties also did post announcement increases and a few others slip some in along the way during the year).

It sent me to my favorite properties just to make certain and fortunately no changes, yet. So hopefully (although unfortunately for you) those are just outliers. Coming prior to the major announcement, it is a bit of weasel-ly behavior and I certainly hope it's not an indication that we won't be given the 2-3 month booking opportunity prior to implementation.  But as we have all stated - it is, what it is and will be, so all we can do now is wait and see.

I just wish they would make the proper announcement.  I have mega bonus nights, and this just isn't fair on anybody!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

tommo781

I suppose what will come will come and we should just take a 'wait-and-see' attitude.  Unfortunately, someone started a thread , I believe at 12:01 am on January 1st, lamenting about the coming devaluations.  As I have mentioned before, I expect to see a post worrying about 2015 devaluations any day now.....

Well still nothing.  Anyone seen anything elsewhere on the web?

Nope. Nothing on Flyertalk at least. They would be all over any update when announced anywhere. Marriott posted the changes there directly just as they did here….. Still waiting!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...