7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2014 11:23 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Australian Open 2015

tenniskeith Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Out bucket list includes all of the Grand Slam Tennis Tournaments. Next up is Australian Open 2015. Never been there and never talked with anyone who has been there. So looking for any and all suggestions for travel, lodging, etc. Current (vague presently) include flying to Hawaii (live in midwest) for a couple of days before flying on. We usually like to go to the matches the end of the first week of play, and probably only attedn two or three days of matches. Rest will be vacation. Thanks for any and all recommendations and suggestions.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Marriott Hotels & Resorts Melbourne Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Australian Open 2015
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

TennisKeith,

Great bucket list item!  I've never been to Melbourne (Aussies pronounce it "Melbun") so can't assist much there, however if you have any Sydney questions, I may be able to answer.

If you are not a Qantas frequent flyer member, I would suggest signing up now so you can get on their emailing list for deal announcements.  If you're prepared to book early, there are some great deals offered from time to time.  Here's a link to the latest one:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/105141#105141

I recommend flying a Qantas A380 out of Los Angeles (not sure if they fly A380's out of DFW) and purchasing premium economy seats if you can swing it (unless of course you have unlimited financial resources and can spring for first class, by all means!).  Premium economy is a great value, and Qantas service is far superior to that of U.S. airlines.  The A380 aircraft is my favorite for long haul flights, especially with the right seats.  I've never flown via Hawaii, so not much help there, and sorry.

I'm sure you'll hear from others regarding a stay in Melbourne, and welcome to Insiders.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Quantas has been flying a B744 from DFW and it is one darn long flight according to a neighbor who takes it down under a couple of times a year.  He much prefers the LA stop over.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto,

Good information!

Am going to see if I can get more details from my "LP" buddy "Hof", who just got back from the 2014 Open!

Hello TennisKeith - Marriott Insider Jerrycoin saw your question and requested I respond.

Just returned from the 2014 Aussie Open and truly believe that you will find the 2015 to be extraordinary. We have been to dozens of tennis venues worldwide, including the other Slams, and confidently state that Melbourne tennis facility is the best ever. In addition to Laver and Hisense stadiums ( specific seat tickets required), there are 4 more out court small stadiums plus 24 more out courts. Of course if you have Laver/Hisense, you also have total access to the entire property. Or you can purchase grounds passes only, which is the most economical method. Your choice of late in the first week is exactly what we always seek, as the second round, Wed. and Thurs. usually has every top ranked man and women playing somewhere during those 2 days....and the doubles begin on Thursday also.

#2,

THERE WILL BE MORE INFO COMING!  The system seems to be a little "Slow" today!

geezer715 Platinum 1 Reviews

Trouble sending you a complete message in this forum.  Check your Insider In Box for complete message.

Thanks for forwarding information, geezer 715!  Hope it helps!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...