46 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2014 10:10 PM by treetree RSS

FAVORITE SAYINGS FROM FAMOUS PEOPLE

Platinum 28 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

WHAT ARE YOURS?

Here is mine:    

"Everyone complains about the weather, and no one does a damn thing about it!"

(Mark Twain)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Santa Barbara, California, USA
Santa Barbara County/Buellton, California, USA
  • Re: FAVORITE SAYINGS FROM FAMOUS PEOPLE
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

"I believe that there is one story in the world, and only one. . . . Humans are caught—in their lives, in their thoughts, in their hungers and ambitions, in their avarice and cruelty, and in their kindness and generosity too—in a net of good and evil. . . . There is no other story. A man, after he has brushed off the dust and chips of his life, will have left only the hard, clean questions: Was it good or was it evil? Have I done well—or ill?"

John Steinbeck, "East of Eden"

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

"Let reverence for the laws, be breathed by every American mother, to the lisping babe, that prattles on her lap -- let it be taught in schools, in seminaries, and in colleges; let it be written in Primers, spelling books, and in Almanacs; -- let it be preached from the pulpit, proclaimed in legislative halls, and enforced in courts of justice. And, in short, let it become the political religion of the nation; and let the old and the young, the rich and the poor, the grave and the gay, of all sexes and tongues, and colors and conditions, sacrifice unceasingly upon its altars."

Abraham Lincoln, 1838 Lyceum Address

Platinum 28 Reviews

Another of my favorites comes from the musical "South Pacific" - lyrics from the song "Cockeyed Optimist".  Words by Oscar Hammerstein II:           "I'm stuck like a dope with a think called hope!"

ansaa Member

Love this question, misterchk . I am looking forward to seeing what the other Insiders have the share as well. I cannot just pick one, here are a few of my favorites at the moment!

“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” – Nelson Mandela

“We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; we travel, next, to find ourselves. We travel to open our hearts and eyes and learn more about the world than our newspapers will accommodate. We travel to bring what little we can, in our ignorance and knowledge, to lose parts of the globe whose riches are differently dispersed. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again… to slow time down and get takens in, and fall in love once more.” – Pico Iyer

“I wish friends and lovers still wrote letters to each other, poetry to each other, or recorded their thoughts in the form of small, tangible gifts. There is nothing lovelier than receiving the innermost thoughts of another person in their handwriting, their words smeared with the side of their palm or looped in cursive ink so that they all run together. I would keep them all.” - Arosary

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I don't know who Pico Iyer is ansaa but he hit the nail right on the head for most of us travelers and mri's

ansaa Member

It is one that hit home for me too, madmax! I thought you guys would enjoy it .

Platinum 28 Reviews

(Forgive my "Left Coast liberalism)

Also from the musical SOUTH PACIFIC the following lyrics by Mr. Hammerstein caused the show to be banned in the state of Georgia in  1949:

You've got to be taught
    To hate and fear,
    You've got to be taught
    From year to year,
    It's got to be drummed
    In your dear little ear
    You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
    Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
    And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
    You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
    Before you are six or seven or eight,
    To hate all the people your relatives hate,
    You've got to be carefully taught!

That play changed Broadway from a musical with dancers to a social statement.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Still significant in it's message 65 years later!

And Rodgers and Hammerstein got it right the first time

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

"ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"   JFK had it right, somehow many have forgotten this and only want to receive…….

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

"Never miss a good chance to shut up"

- Will Rogers -

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Madmax, I like it.  Along similar lines, "I like to listen.  I've learned a great deal from listening carefully.  Most people never listen." - Ernest Hemingway

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

“My congratulations to you, sir. Your manuscript is both good and original, but the part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good.”

attributed to Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784) though disputed

"After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known quotations."

H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956) on Shakespeare

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Einstein's definition of insanity:

"Endlessly repeating the same process, hoping for a different result."

Along those same lines, also from Einstein:

"Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them."

Ambrose Bierce said, "Laziness has replaced incompetence as the hallmark of a journalist." Or maybe vice-versa?

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

THE GOLDEN RULE  OF LIVING LIFE (ESV)

So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.  Matthew 7:12

“A man should keep on being constructive, and do constructive things. He should take part in the things that go on in this wonderful world. He should be someone to be reckoned with. He should live life and make every day count, to the very end.”

Bill Marriott

"Is sloppiness in speech caused by ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don't care."

William Safire (1929 - 2009)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

"If you like your health insurance, you can keep your health insurance."  BHO

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

and the winner is……"  If you like your health insurance, you can keep your health insurance"

How about Harry Truman:  "The buck stops here'"

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Ben Franklin (allegedly): "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

Platinum 28 Reviews

Another one from Mark Twain:

"God made idiots for practice, then he made the school board"

erc Platinum

As a coach and trainer of the young, I have a boatload of sayings from folks far wiser than myself that have guided me and my teammates throughout the years. The two most influential sayings that I have reflected upon for over thirty years are;

Bruce Lee (as I grow older I am more and more impressed by of course not only the physical capabilities of this remarkable young man, but also the philosophical depth of a 32 year old taken far too soon for the good of the world); he wrote numerous insightful thoughts, but probably due to my own youth, the one that stood out and stays with me to this day, is from his work on his martial arts form Jeet Kune Do, "using no way as way; having no limitation as limitation" (a sort of precursor to Larry the Cable Guy's , "git r done" ).

and the other guiding saying of value to me (especially during the 'Masters of the Universe' eighties);

The Dalai Lama (and no, I'm no Richard Gere), " Man sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then he dies having never really lived."

I'm certainly enjoying the present and Insiders is a valuable ally as I race against the big clock on the wall of life.

"(a sort of precursor to Larry the Cable Guy's , "git r done" )."

Larry makes more sense to me.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."  (Mark Twain)

"Golf is a good walk spoiled."  (Mark Twain)

"You cannot expect to live a positive life if you hang with negative people."  (Joel Osteen)

""You cannot expect to live a positive life if you hang with negative people."  (Joel Osteen)

Kind of like if you sleep with dogs you're gonna get fleas...

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

"I like myself better, when I'm around you"!

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

"Have a Good Time, All the Time!" - Viv Savage, This Is Spinal Tap.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

"If you want to feel good, do good."

I can't remember where I read or heard it, but it's stuck with me.

Here's one from a famous man in 1983, and I helped with these words in the speech:

"The defense policy of the United States is based on a simple premise: The United States does not start fights. We will never be an aggressor. We maintain our strength in order to deter and defend against aggression -- to preserve freedom and peace."

anadyr,

Sounds like something my favorite President would say,  Ronald Reagan!

You got it Jerry!

anadyr,

Thank-you not only for your service to our country, but now I have learned of you input with our great President.

Again, thank-you for both.

I was lucky enough to visit The Reagan Ranch, and the "Favorite Sayings from Famous People"  RR, would have many!

IMG_3331.jpg

AMEN!

Location Brand Hotel
          Santa Barbara, California, USA
          Santa Barbara County/Buellton, California, USA

Thanks Jerry, I was pleased to have been involved with the White House for a couple years during the administrations of Ronald Reagan.

"Write something worth remembering, and your name will live forever."

- author unknown

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

"Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - George Carlin

"Everybody you fight is not your enemy and everybody that helps you is not your friend" - Mike Tyson

""Old soldiers never die, they just fade away"

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."

-Steve "Pre" Prefontaine

treetree Platinum 14 Reviews

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" Dr. SEUSS

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...