27 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2014 1:34 PM by phctourist RSS

HAS ANYONE HAD SUCCESS UPGRADING ON UNITED WITH NEW STATUS

Platinum 28 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I haven't been a United customer for years (Currently Delta and American Elite) - but thought I would give it a try.

My question is aimed at current UA frequent flyers:  WITH A LOWLY SILVER ELITE STATUS WHAT ARE THE POSSIBILITIES OF A SIMPLE UPGRADE TO UNITED"S "ECONOMY PLUS" (The extra leg room etc..)

Is there anyone out there that is finding that you are just "too low" on the totem pole for any advantages with the Silver status?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: HAS ANYONE HAD SUCCESS UPGRADING ON UNITED WITH NEW STATUS
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I would guess getting upgraded to Econ Plus at check-in would average pretty low and it will most likely be a middle seat, but still a better chance than being upgraded to First Class. This is just me throwing my two cents in as I have no experience being a Silver, but the status does not contain many advantages at all.  Premier Silver status folks have to wait until check-in for the complimentary seat does reduce the chances as the higher levels of Premier gobble them up first or book them at purchase.

Tell us how you do when/if you get on a UA flight.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bubbie Platinum 2 Reviews

I Was able to get one econ plus aisle seat which I gave to my husband. I actually ended up with the better deal. He might have had extra leg room but was seated next to a large gentleman who spilled over into my husbands seat. His seat was right under an air duct so he froze for the 4 hours.

Meanwhile I was in the back of the plane spread out in a seat and a half. The woman by the window and I shared my husbands empty middle seat.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Years ago, I used to get upgraded on AA a lot and when the plane was not full would turn it down and often had the 3 seats to my self and could put the arm rests up and lay down.

I got an econ plus seat on 2 flights that I took out of 2.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I got an upgrade both ways to E Plus.

ansaa Member

Hi misterchk,

That is a great question. Here is a similar thread posted on Insiders: Re: United Premier Silver to Gold (Plat Reciprocal). Hopefully this helps!

suzysharp Platinum

I have flown 6 flights since becoming Premier Silver due to Marriott. I have been upgraded to Economy Plus 5 out of 6 flights. The 6th flight was upgraded to 1st class which was fantastic as I was flying with my mom and she got first class too(through my status). These upgrades have been on fully booked flights between ORD/MCO and ORD/BWI. I'm a huge fan of this program!

Good to hear of some of you getting the Econ Plus and even upgrades, guess I will have to take my low chances of it back at least for now.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I have flown three legs with United since receiving the reciprocal Silver Elite status on United.  On one leg, we were upgraded from Economy plus to first class, from Denver to Dulles, on a fairly full flight.  On a Dulles to Paris flight, which was less than half full, we were not upgraded from Economy Plus.  On our return flight from Paris to Dulles, which was about 2/3 full, we wee upgraded from standard Economy to Economy Plus.

We were, in other words, upgraded on 2 of our three flights, since receiving Silver Elite status.

chiragkhushalani Platinum 10 Reviews

I have had success and I find upgrading to economy plus seats to be a much more comfortable ride. However, I want to point out that I am now a Gold member on United and I get to pick Economy Premium seats while making my flight reservation. Silver members only get to pick their seats 2 days prior to departure. So your changes may be slim, but a good perk nonetheless.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

I flew with them, twice, while I had the perq status.  I was highly disappointed.  The first trip I had no idea you were on your own to change seats.  I waited patiently for an upgrade at the gate, but my name wasn't called.  I did see it displayed on the monitor, though.  After being seated next to a disgusting ape, I requested a seat change.  They made me wait until the gate agent came on with a machine to take my money (yes, they charged me extra and made me pay) before they would let me move.

I checked their magazine and realized they shouldn't have done that, so when we landed I requested a refund.  The baggage agent did what he could but was unable to do so because there was no record of my extra payment!!  He suggested I request it at check-in when there was an agent available.  (All were off shift by this time.  I did see Al Roker was on our flight, though.  He is much better looking in person.  lol)

When I checked in for my next flight and explained the situation (again) to the agent, she rather surly told me she couldn't help and to call the United line.  And so ends my bookings with United.

On the other hand, after I told my husband of the reciprocal arrangement he immediately signed up and has been upgraded to First Class on almost every single flight he has taken with them!  I believe the only time he hasn't been upgraded was when it was a short commuter flight and the seating type was all the same.

Oh well.  At least one of us is happy.  lol

suzysharp Platinum

missgee I'm sorry to hear about your experience. On my last flight I had problems upgrading my mom to economy plus for our return flight and ended up calling customer service and they took care of everything and were awesome. I did learn that if you call Mileage Plus customer service regardless of the reason you get much quick and better service. Good luck with future trips!

suzysharp,

What city are you flying from that UA is giving you such good service with upgrades of either type?  My guess is that it is not a HUB, but I could be wrong.

suzysharp Platinum

I fly from good old ORD also know as Chicago so for United I would say its the Hub of Hubs as they pretty much own the airport. Things like Priority access at O'Hare don't mean much but upgrades on flights etc have not been an issue. Now I've only had 1st class once. I've been offered it 2 other times but only for me, not the person I was flying with so I turned it down but economy plus has not been an issue.

Okay gotchya.  The actual HUB of HUBs actually is IAH since they have about 88% of the airline flights with a smattering of AA, US, NK and DL.  A piece of worthless knowledge, right after the merger of non-equals ORD was just behind IAH in terms of total flights, but I think since the poop head CEO dislikes our Mayor so much they've cut some flights and now ORD is the largest UA HUB.

suzysharp Platinum

Good to know. I figure the fact that United's headquarters are here also helps with some of that. I've know a number of people who had family that worked for them.

The fallout with the Mayor and that guy the call the CEO started when he took the CO HQ from Houston and moved it to Chicago, since then they have not played well with each other unlike the days when Gordon Bethune and the city got along very very well.

suzysharp Platinum

I didn't know where CO had been out of. UA has always been Chicago so I just figured it was a logical choice for that reason but that also makes sense... probably a few factors...

Didn't make sense to us here as we have much better weather and no state income tax which should have been huge, but what do we know.  Don't get me wrong I love Chicago, but the entire merger thing destroyed an excellent airline in CO in my opinion. 

Anyway, upgrades from here are harder to come by so I get very creative in purchasing of tickets, but it is good to read others are at least finding some success.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

We have now taken 3 flights since getting Silver Elite at United by virtue of being Marriott Platinum.

First flight we were upgraded from Economy Plus to 1st class.

Second flight we had Economy Plus tickets and were not upgraded.

Third flight we had standard economy and were upgraded to Economy Plus

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...