38 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2014 12:30 PM by nuhusker RSS

Welcome Back Promotion - Curious

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am curious as to who might have seen the Welcome Back Promotion that I found under the My Marriott Account, "New Promotions For You." I am curious if this is a widespread promotion or if it is exclusive to me (or others like me) --> I have not booked a paid night in 12 months having switched my 200+ nights/year to Hilton last February. So is this promo trying to entice me back to Marriott?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Welcome Back Promotion - Curious
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I do not have it in my account, but I have paid for about 12 nights in the last 12 months so maybe they do want you back.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Not only have I not seen it, I can't even pull it up using your link...so it must be exclusive to you pingreeman. You're very special

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I'll say you're very special, Pingie.  You haven't booked a paid night in 12 months and yet were still rewarded with Platinum Premier renewal.  I can see why PP holds no enticement for you, since many PP's on here say that they haven't noticed any difference between PP and P, and you probably have maximum status with Hilton as well.  I tried the link and it indicated that I was not eligible.  Yes, I think they are trying to entice you back.  May I ask what the promotion consists of?  The most important question is, are you enticed by it?

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

that would be the enticing question pingreeman...

I didn't realize this link did not work, so I have attached a picture of the link.

pluto77 - You are spot on with your comments. As a PP for 10 years and LTP for 4, I have little incentive to be enticed back with this offer. Having switched to Hilton Honors (not a perfect program but it meets my needs), I see little differences from MR. The most important benefit that I have through HH is a guaranteed suite on points-only reservations when booking family vacations. I have argued MR needs to have this program and even spoke with the VP-MR to encourage implementation, but to no avail. That was 3+ years ago and I was told in that conversation, this would be rolled out for MR members within 18-24 months. IMO, another promise not made.

A guaranteed suite on points would be a great addition.  Wonder if NathalieF forgot or if The specified item was not found., merb or ansaa may be able to resurrect that idea?

Waste of time, my good friend.  He already spoke with a VP who made an empty promise, and how disappointing.

Gotta keep hoping and dreaming as it costs nothing!

ansaa Member

We will be happy to share your suggestion with the team, guys!

The "suite" option, pardon the pun, really trumps, doesn't it?  Good for you and your family, Pingreeman.  With all of the nights that you spend away in a hotel, you certainly deserve a guaranteed suite now and again.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Interestly, I can't remember the last time I stayed in a Marriott property where I wasn't upgraded to a suite...usually pre-assigned before I arrived, or during check in when I simply asked about the possibility of an upgrade.

nuhusker - To make absolutely clear, I want a suite upgrade when vacationing with my family, not while on business.** Over the years, I have used points at the following resort venues of St Kitts, San Juan, Maui, Big Island, Costa Rica, etc. and NOT ONCE have I been able to get an upgrade to a suite ON POINTS, most often told that the T&Cs only guarantee an upgrade (and are written to specifically exclude a suite, but do state "an upgrade" which could be a "better view" or "higher floor" or "concierge floor" etc., but never a suite). I have tried everything possible under the sun - especially promoting my PP status for x-years in a row (advanced e-mail to the manager, call the PP 800#, call the desk within a few days of arrival, sweet talk the clerk at check-in, etc.; only thing I haven't done is offer a bribe). What irks me most is that on every occasion listed above, after getting my "stupid room", I log in to reservation only to find a suite is available - but for cash. ARGH! So the T&Cs "limitations to a suite" are used against me every time.

So I am WILLING TO PAY MORE POINTS to get the GUARANTEED SUITE as my once-a-year treat to my family for being gone 50 weeks of the year to lavish the family and make it very special for them.

**As in my other posts, my business travels are usually for 6+ months at the same venue and I routinely get suite upgrades for such long stays. But being solo on business, I appreciate the perk, but it is overkill. On a family vacation, to get a better view rather than a suite is underkill. Until the T&Cs for points are changed to allow a guaranteed suite, call me MR HILTON.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Pingreeman

I,too, would welcome even just one opportunity a year to get a guaranteed suite while using points.  It would be a great perk for those of us 'uber' travelers.  That said, just a husker acknowledged, I also find upgraded made available to me much more more often than not and I appreciate every one of them.  Yes, sometimes the Presidential Suite when traveling alone is overkill, I accept it a wonderful gesture…...

shoeman

"To make absolutely clear, I want a suite upgrade when vacationing with my family, not while on business."

Yeh, I think you've told us that before.

And maybe I should've been more clear.  I get upgraded, many times to a suite, much of the time on business travel and nearly every time when I'm traveling for leisure. 

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Hey guys.... I also get upgraded almost every time I book. Now, here's the rub. Like pingreeman, I'm scheduled for a Cayman Islands 7 night points stay in about two weeks. The only thing that can be booked for points is a "deluxe room"...no view, no balcony, no suite.  I've swapped two emails with the guest services mgr at the hotel. I asked for consideration of a view with a balcony, I did not request a suite. I was told that my reservation qualified my only for the "deluxe room" and there was not a way to upgrade this points stay. If, at check-in, they have something available, they'll see what they can do. 

So, I join the pingreeman and wish that Marriott would allow for a points stay to allow for snagging a suite...once per year.

pained

I'm with you on this.  Please clarify, are you wanting an upgrade on points stay?  Or, are you looking for the ability to book a suite on points even if it tasks more points to do so?  I think the pingreeman was looking for a suite upgrade while on vacation.  I would think the ability to use points to secure the upgrade would be a good first step.  thoughts?  Also, I believe some resorts already offer that option.

erc Platinum

shoe

I agree with you, the ability to book a suite with points would be a great start (this is where a true cash + points would be a benefit). Even an upgrade (like an ocean view) would be acceptable to me. Because of the significant difference in value/enjoyment (to me, at least) of the type of room at a 'vacation getaway', I usually just go ahead and pay cash for the guaranteed room, since points/plat upgrade is too risky (especially since I don't have yours and nu's results). I was able to upgrade San Juan properties - paying cash/upgrading points, but those situations seem to come and go, property by property and season by season (i.e. - no true Marriott program).

Since I'm not holding my breath over the chance of outright booking suites with points, I would be appreciative of any type of start that allowed us to use at least some points (either for the base w/cash upgrade or cash w/point upgrade) to get the exact type of room we want, when the room is that important to the stay.

erc Platinum

I meant to add that one strategy I've tried that has worked out well; are the Marriott Vacation Clubs often allow you to upgrade to 2 and 3 bedroom villas for points (Ft. Lauderdale for example). The other technique I use, find a SpringHill like the Va. Beach Va. property, where all rooms are oceanfront or a Residence Inn where I want to be, (depending on ping's children's ages that may not work - but if they're adults, then just get two rooms - better start using that 2 million balance soon before it continues to decline in value ).

erc, isn't there an option to use more points for upgrades at resorts?  I thought i'd seen something like that before, although I've never used it.  I've been to the caribeaan twice, St Thomas and PR, and both times I was pre-assigned a suite upgrade which I discovered by looking at My Reservations a day or two in advance of my arrival.  In fact, I think I've been upgraded to a suite everytime I've stayed at a resort since I became platinum in 2000 or so.  Sometimes I had to ask at check in and other times it was upgraded a head of time. 

erc Platinum

I guess there must be. Perhaps (like a AAA rate) it's related to whether the property is even available for points. When I tried the Aruba Marriott there wasn't a point option at all, so I just bought the room I wanted out of concern that I'd be facing the parking lot if I hadn't. I've only received a pre-arrival upgrade once in all of my bookings, so whatever you're doing - it's working, congrats.

Marriott International Declares Cash Dividend; Board Increases Stock Repurchase Authorization - Marriott News Center  stock just jumped up over $51, so oceanfront here we come (the hedge strategy - going long in Marriott stock balances the Rewards erosion )

I certainly agree that if we really want to make sure we get a suite, oceanview, etc, the best way to guarantee it is to just pay for it.  That'll work.

nuhusker " I think I've been upgraded to a suite every time I've stayed at a resort since I became platinum in 2000 or so" - WOW, I don't know how you do it and at P-status; now perhaps you can empathize with me having been PP since 2003 and NEVER an upgrade at a resort.

Perhaps, and this is just me trying to find an excuse, but my vacations have usually been around "high season" to work around school schedules for the kids. But in actuality, I have gone to my yuck-room to look up suites on the internet for cash purchase and every time they were available for booking for the same dates as my stay. So much for me trying to find an excuse for the venue.

And I generally try to travel for leisure during off seasons which might be increasing my chances of  these upgrades.  And I also don't understand why if there's actually a no black out poliscy using pooints why we can pay for a suite or a even a regualar room for that matter but not get that same accomodation with points.  And I also agree with you and others that Marriott should return to its previous policy of including suites in its guaranteed upgrade.  But then I'm not having that probl;em so it's not that big of a deal.

I should have mentioned that I too have been PP, just don't make a big deal about it.

shoeman1000 I am more than willing to pay EXTRA POINTS to guarantee the suite - but I have yet to see where that is possible. A while back, they used to offer points + cash but I believe that has gone away a la Dodo bird.

Ideally, the uber travelers should get the suite on regular points, but if other "ubers" are like me, we earn more points than we can spend in a year, so having to pay more points to get a GUARANTEED suite upgrade would still be worth it. If it were not for the T&Cs that specifically excluded suites, I would not be posting this desire so often, right NU? nuhusker

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Points and cash is gone but cash rather than points still exists--is that confusing enough?

Pingreeman

I just tried to book a points stay at the Ritz Carlton on Maui and was given multiple choices to upgrade.  Each level of upgrade needed more points, but I was able to get the upgrade using points.  Maybe all properties do not provide this opportunity, but this one did.  Take your family there, I can tell you form personal experience it is a great place. Also, you can get that guaranteed suite upgrade!

shoeman

That's exactly what I was asking erc about...upgrading for more points.

Yep, the Ritz Kapalua is very much a beautiful spot even though not right on the beach it's a great spot to enjoy a suite upgrade for sure.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Yes shoeman, I'm looking for the opportunity to get something other than a "deluxe room" for points. I'm fine with an escalated scale.

Best of luck pained with the suite, our Jr. Suite (they got the junior right) was nothing more than a room with a few extra feet near the closet which was sort of behind the door, and the management team was less than helpful when I complained and even less after I posted my review on Insiders.  They did finally give us a two night stay coupon from the GM which we might use one day.  Hope you have much better luck than we did.  On a brighter note they were supposed to renovate the rooms late last year so hopefully that is finished as they needed it.

P1010675.JPG

This was our view, nice wall that completely blocked any view south.  The balcony was just large enough for two chairs and a small round table, but you can't beat the sunsets.  Make sure you grab your beverage and one of the small chairs that almost sit you in the ocean and take it down to the water, awesome time.

blava007 Platinum

nuhusker

I‘m sorry, I do not want to sound like pain in the rear, but I just do not believe that you almost always get upgraded to a Suite. Reading the extensive number of comments from others Marriott travelers tells that is not cannot be the case.   I do wish that we got automatic upgrade for P, PP and LP members while vacationing with their family.  

I suppose you can believe who or what you want.  Really doesn't matter a lot to me.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Doubting Blava?

"In Husker We Trust"……  Now, that shoeman guy………..

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...