8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2014 8:57 AM by anadyr RSS

INDESTRUCTIBLE?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Card.jpg

After getting my new Chase Marriott Rewards Visa in the mail, and activating it I was told to destroy the older, Target compromised one. Simple enough but the card is made of Kryptonite so should I:

Use my Ronco home premium laser death ray to vaporize it?

Run  over it with my studded tired Humvee?

Put in a hermetically sealed time capsule at Area 51?

Just hold onto it. assuming that after the Earth is hit by a giant asteroid I might need it for some reason?

Please advise.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: INDESTRUCTIBLE?
    tfreeman98 Platinum 13 Reviews

I had the same question.  I got my "Target-replacement" MR Rewards card today (after just having received a new MR Rewards metal card a few weeks ago).  I told the agent on the phone that I usually shred old cards.  He said definitely don't do that.  He said he would send me an envelope to return them, which I guess I will do.  But I was tempted to chop this one up with an ax.  I like the heft and coolness of the metal card, but I have to say that sending a still-active metal card in the mail does not seem like the best idea.  Other thoughts?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

torch.jpg

A friend tried tin  snips and that did not work. so he resorted to using a blowtorch (I only use the little ones for cooking Creme Brulee myself) and melted it.

What he did with the molten mess I do not know.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Anadyr

I think you may need to use the blowtorch to stay warm.  I guess the good news is that the drought has been been broken, but man does it look cold, windy, and just plain nasty…..

stay warm my friend.

Yes it barely reached 64 today with the rain and wind, we were shivering (actually not me I was in a van comfy warm)

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Anadyr -- I had to order new cards after a gas station in NJ stole the number (it's against the law to pump your own gas there).  The agent on the phone neglected to mention that they would be sending an envelope for the cancelled cards.  So after my usual scissor cutting did not work, my husband valiantly used tin snips, and then some special IT cutters he has which didn't do much good either.  The cards were mangled but it was kind of cool to see the struggle that went into it.     Four days after the new cards arrived, we again had to order replacement cards (thanks to a chain restaurant which I will never go to again, another reason to eat local!).  This time, I placed the cancelled cards into the provided envelope and sent it off.  I imagine whatever they do with them at the collection point will be much better for the environment than what we did!

Amen to that

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

my new one came with a postage-paid-send-back-the-old-one envelope.... 

it was not nearly as challenging....

Was it sealed to prevent magnetic or RFID theft?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...