16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2014 6:44 PM by missgee RSS

Are any Insiders visiting the 2014 Winter Olympics?

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'm curious -- is anyone going to Sochi?  I noticed last night when we were watching the first of the broadcasts that many venues didn't seem as crowded as I thought they would.  This was especially noticeable at the indoor ice arena which I would have expected to be sold out at all times.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Are any Insiders visiting the 2014 Winter Olympics?
    ansaa Member

Wouldn’t that be fun, Sledchick? I am not going to the Olympics this year, but I was fortunate to go to 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta with my family. The crowds during those games were massive. It took us months and many “lottery” pickings to even get ONE gymnastics ticket and ONE track and field ticket. I agree with you, the seats do not look full, I would like to see the statics of attendance for this year!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

It would be fun, ansaa!  I know we can't judge attendance by the pre-opening ceremony qualifiers last night, but I would have thought more Russians would have been there since it was probably easier to get tickets and some visitors haven't arrived yet.  Lucky you, seeing the Olympics!  I'm sure it was something you will never forget.  I'm going to speculate that most events will be mobbed after tonight's official opening.  We shall see!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I've read not so great things about the hosting job that the city of Sochi is doing. I sure hope it's just media hype, but hmmm.  Olympian athletes deserve so much more than that!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

They couldn't even get the olympic rings right during the opening ceremony.  Typical.

Yes, pluto, I have read about the unfinished infrastructure, the incredible lines and delays to get into venues, and even local Russians having to get a special card with a photo taken for admittance into events (after already purchasing the tickets of course).  It's too bad.  I'm sure the athletes get more "psyched" when there's a full house watching them.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Wish I was!

The opening celebration was gorgeous!

Reminded me of the Bolshoi spectacle style performance that I have experienced at the ballet and opera when at the Bolshoi, but I never see when they tour in the US.

In particular, part of the show reminded me of The Golden Cockrel by Rimsky-Korsakov, a true traveler's work of art as it is based on Alexander Pushkin's poem, "the Tale of the Golden Cockerel" which in turn is based on Washington Irving's, "Tales of Alhambra".

The only difference was scale.  I thought the Bolshoi stage sets and performance were over the top, but Sochi definately topped this with 3 dimensional objects and thousands of people.

Travel faux pas on my part not to get in touch with my Russian friends for tickets and travel plans.

The Golden Cockerel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Golden Cockerel sharpens its satirical claws | ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT | The Moscow News

Thanks for the information and links, Gem.  I wish you were in Sochi now, too -- it would be fun to have an MRI there to report back to us!  It must have been a truly amazing experience to be at the Bolshoi (and in Russia itself).   Russian history is so vast and complex; I don't ever remember studying it in school and wish we had done so.  The older I get, the more interested I become in the past -- this might be a true sign of aging!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Well, at the risk of being booed of the stage, let me tell you how boring I have found these Olympics.  In fact, last evening I watched the tribute to the Beatles and wondered if it outdrew the Olympics.  It was a fantastic show and reminded me how great a group of artists they were.  Anyone else see it?  Now, I did think the Opening Ceremonies were pretty darn good, Olympics circle blip notwithstanding. 

I wouldn't boo you off the stage, shoeman.  I agree.  I feel the commentating is lame (Todd and Todd on snowboarding sound like accountants -- slopestyle is new and exciting but they detract from the excitement of it) and the blonde woman interviewing the athletes right after they lose is asking the stupidest questions!  Example something like, "How does it feel to not get the gold?"  DUH.  The figure skating performances themselves are nice to watch, but again, the commentators detract from the experience instead of enhancing.  We are now channel surfing during prime-time olympics.  But today the curling competitions broadcast before primetime were actually quite good and so was the commentating.  I'm sorry I missed the Beatles tribute last night as that was something I had really wanted to see.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Right On Shoeman.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Didn't watch either one of those shows, but really enjoyed re-runs of Duck Dynasty.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The Beatles show was a show not to have missed. Great music, interviews, and seeing Paul with Ringo again.....all excellent,

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...