7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2014 1:00 PM by tomd68 Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Traveling to Hawaii in winter months

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

More and more, there are less and less (U.S.) airlines to choose from, and along with that, much can depend on your to and from.  It seems they have us held over a barrel, and they know it.  And don't care.  A lot of folks don't have options, but for those who do, best to stick with airlines and routes that have the best on-time ratings.

I also try to avoid air travel during winter months and take southern routes whenever possible.  And live and learn (avoid ORD, JFK, DEN, BKG).  Of course, it's easier for me because I live in the westernmost part of the SW where summers are relatively mild.  I've been fortunate that way and it's been good so far.  But then too, not all of these delays and cancellations are necessarily a result of weather.

We want to fly.  What else can we do?  We are not all John Travolta!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Kauai, Hawaii, USA
Lihue/Kauai, Hawaii, USA
  • Re: Traveling to Hawaii in winter months
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Do you remember when we had really cheap fares to Hawaii when upstart airlines were flying that route?  The big airlines matched the fares till they went out of business.  Then we paid higher prices.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Cal,

No, but I'm sure others do.  I know fares have gone up in just one year.  If you're willing to fly out of SAN, AS has RT's to HNL for $500 (it would be on a 738/9.)  Is that good?  (I would fly out of SJC).  Maybe I should have chosen HNL for my free AS ticket, but I did choose Boston instead.  I would've stayed at the CY a block from the water in HNL (what I could afford), but someone told me, no, if you're going to go to HNL, you really need to stay on the water.  Do you agree or not?  (I know this is spinning off, but there's not a lot of activity for this discussion and I don't know why, it's a great topic).

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Pluto,

I have made many, many trips to Hawaii.  I have stayed on the ocean and a short distance from it and had a good time one way or the other.  It depends on what you want to do.  If you are going to veg out and lay on the beach, then being on the ocean is a plus.  If you are there to explore and see the sights, it is less important.  Oahu has really good public transportation and it is cheap.  You can get most anyplace on the island by bus.  It takes longer but you can enjoy the scenery while someone else is driving.  The Marriott is across from the beach but has 2 towers, one closer and the other a block farther.  When I stayed there, I was in the back tower so had a walk to get to the beach.  If you go by this, you can stay at a hotel a block or two from the beach and have the same thing.

If you go to the other islands, there is less to do and being on the ocean is more desirable.

I would have used the free ticket to go to Hawaii since it would have been a better value.  I do like Boston though.  I have made a few trips there and really enjoyed the sights.  It is a walking city with good public transportation.

NathalieF Can you please spin Pluto's and this to a new thread?

Sometimes I see an option in my reply to branch and sometimes I don't.  I'm not sure why.

I am not much of a relaxation traveler.  Maybe that's why I've had a hard time getting on board with Hawaii, because I associate it with inactivity, which is no doubt a huge misperception, especially after reading about erc's latest adventure.  I have to always be doing something, although I must admit that when I'm in Newport I can burn large amounts of time just as good as anybody by sitting on the balcony and staring at the ocean, so would imagine the same would hold true in Hawaii, provided with an ocean front view.  At some point I guess I will have to "get my Hawaii on."

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

pluto77,

You def need to get the Aloha spirit! I live in NJ and I love Hawaii. Whenever people ask about Hawaii I always tell them you can do a much or as little as you want. Nothing wrong with relaxing and doing nothing, and nothing wrong with horseback riding, ziplining, hiking, snorkeling, all that stuff. I have to say, Maui is one of if not my favorite place on earth.

dixie Platinum

There are still discount airlines that fly scheduled to Hawaii.  Check Hawaiian Airlines with non-stops from several cities and Allegiant non-stop from Las Vegas for $149 each way.  Couple with a weekend in LV and you can get two vacations in one.

tomd68 Gold 7 Reviews

I had been scouting out ticket prices to Hawaii both before and after the merger of American and US Air had been cleared by the courts.  I'm not sure if that's why the price on United had gone up or not, but we eventually settled on a ticket to Kauai for our June trip (Marriott's Kauai Lagoons) at $1300 vice just over $1000 that I had been seeing.  I'm positive that these mergers into mega-airlines don't at all help the traveler, and I don't know why the courts allow these mergers to go through.  While not quite a monopoly, we essentially have air-cartels vice airlines.

Location Brand Hotel
    Kauai, Hawaii, USA
    Lihue/Kauai, Hawaii, USA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...