17 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2014 1:57 PM by iahflyr Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Amazing Schedule Changes: Order one, get another

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

schedule.jpg

You can book a flight way in advance, but there is no guarantee that your schedule will remain the same or even close to the original.  Look at this round trip mentioned in an article today in the Wall Street Journal, the outbound flight changed by 12 hours!  Imagine the hotels or the rental car companies doing this? Hope that never happens. Notice that changing the rental car resulted in an up-charge of $101.00!

What can we do about this, other than stop flying? Nothing.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Amazing Schedule Changes: Order one, get another
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

A change like this would be terribly upsetting. I look closely at all my route/connection options and select the one that works best for me. Having it changed by an hour or two might not be a huge deal, but 12 hours would not be acceptable. If I wanted to travel in the morning, I'd choose a morning flight to begin with.

I try to book my flights far enough out so I can get the best fare, but not so far out that changes like this might happen. The crazy thing about this is that the flyer was traveling around the holidays so clearly wanted to book early enough to get the flights he wanted during a peak travel time.

I hope he was able to get the airline to pay for the extra $101. I'd be furious if I had to pay that because of a change I didn't request.

Great post.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Apparently not, according to the article, so the moral is. watch out, the airlines rule the schedule and can be as capricious as they want to be--you are merely the purchaser.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

So true and so wrong.  Just wrong!  Like when I wanted to ditch my outbound and still use my inbound.  My paid for flight, my paid for seat.  Nope, I ditch the outbound, the airlines automatically cancels the inbound.  Wrong, wrong, wrong, shame, shame, shame.  (Someday I'll tell you how I really feel. )

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Not only that, but he also lost 8 hours of vacation time (may have had to take an extra day off of work because of the change) and no guarantee that he'd get an early check-in.  I am always mindful of my annual leave usage and how it's spent.  I often book my flights around my work schedule.  Work all day and then head straight to the airport.  Time is money.  I'd be furious.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

It is getting worse all the time.  I have had the most schedule changes with Delta and often had me misconnecting.  They have to do a change then.  I have had a 9am flight and they changed it to 6:50am.  They would not budge and told me that if the change was more than 4 hours, they would allow a change.  To me, leaving at 6:50am means no breakfast at hotel and getting up hours earlier but to the airline, it is allowed.

I just had one on Air Canada that was from 12:33am to 5:40pm, 17 hours later.  This cost me 2 additional nights at hotels, one at each end since I was on a night flight and had a sleeper seat since I was in business.  The airline will not cover the hotel cost.  I also loose a day of vacation.

ansaa Member

Thanks for sharing this news, anadyr. As someone who travels frequently (both for business and pleasure) this sounds like a way to lose a lot of customers…fast. As others have mentioned, a difference of a few years is manageable, but a 12-hour schedule change is not acceptable. People have jobs, families and many other factors that go into their travel planning. Hopefully, the airlines will see that having this “freedom” is not worth a lot of angry passengers!

Agreed that it is not acceptable, but until we can all afford a private pilot and Jet we are likely yo have this happen more and more.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

never been that bad usually a couple of hours and they offer you a chance to get out over some time value

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

Thanks for sharing this news, anadyr. As someone who travels frequently (both for business and pleasure) this sounds like a way to lose a lot of customers…fast. As others have mentioned, a difference of a few years is manageable, but a 12-hour schedule change is not acceptable. People have jobs, families and many other factors that go into their travel planning. Hopefully, the airlines will see that having this “freedom” is not worth a lot of angry passengers!"

Suspect you meant a difference of a few hours.... difference of a few years would crimp anyone's plans!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

They changed our flight from SFO-MRY by three hours from what we originally booked, cost us a days golf tickets that we couldn't use due to the later arriving time.  I get home only to find another two trips have changed, the worst being the first flight of the day I was scheduled on is gone so we get two extra hours of sleep now just not what I wanted.

This is getting worse and worse as well as they change out equipment as well, sometimes even to the point of not even reassigning you a seat.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Those of you who travel on UA and have reservations a month or more in advance might want to recheck the reservations for schedule changes.  They made some schedule changes last Friday night and impacted three of our reservations.

Originally had booked a very cheap First Class ticket for July IAH-LGA on the first flight of the day.  Well UA made a change a month ago an cancelled that flight only to put us on the next flight which got us into LGA too late in the day for a convention my wife is attending.  So we had to change to IAH-EWR, luckily since they were responsible for this change they waived the change fee however; we had to pay the increased fare. 

Last Friday night I was reviewing all our reservations for changes and noticed our seat selections were missing on the IAH-EWR flight and my continuing flight the next day from EWR-RSW.  Yep, true to form another change moving a 7:55 morning departure from IAH 7:15 and my EWR departure by an hour.  UA does NOT send the customer and email you have to find it out on your own.

Anyway while taking care of the above I noticed they have also loaded the B789 Dreamliner into their seating charts United Airlines - Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner and soon to their schedule on some domestic routes from IAH to DEN, SFO and LAX starting in late July or early August.