35 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2014 4:13 PM by anadyr RSS

Data Breaches for White Lodging Services Company

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

White Lodging Services Co. which operates several hotels for Marriott  as well as Starwood and Hilton, reported that they may have suffered a data breach, ala Target and Nieman Marcus.  Here are the details..

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, USA
  • Re: Data Breaches for White Lodging Services Company
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Anadyr

Thanks for the heads up!  I don't know about you, but I am beginning to believe that Hackers have breached much, much more than we are aware of, and we will only find out when the information can no longer be held from us.  Unfortunately, it seems that the hackers are always two steps ahead of those being hacked.  Times have changed, and not for the better.  I also saw last evening that YAHOO has announced that their customer logs were breached.  Account names, passwords, and much more were stolen…  If anyone has an account with them, they should change their password asap.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I change mine frequently Shoeman, just for safety sake and make them quite hard to crack (and remember sometimes).  But yes we need to be vigilant.

And yes I assume that every card is breachable, too.

What do you, or others use to keep password information?  I have so many, some need this, some that, drives me crazy….

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

shoeman1000,

I had not had any organization of passwords until I read a recommendation to keep all passwords in a password protected Excel spreadsheet.

jakeal

how do I set up a password protected excel spreadsheet?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I do the same.  For the important ones, I remember most of them.  (Like I said, being a historian really helps in coming up with both memorable (to me but to almost no one else) passwords.)

For Whom the Bell Tolls is always good!

I use very obscure names that usually have lots of u's, x's, q's, etc. in them that are connected to a date, then add weird punctuation marks that somehow conjure the person which in turn conjures up the date.  (I also have a good memory )

Commercial programs (which I have not used) can be bought to keep them safe. I would, never store them in the cloud since it too is vulnerable.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I think you're right about many security breaches going unreported.  Bad publicity?  It also seems like many of the hackers come from foreign countries (eg. China) and it is very difficult bringing them to justice.  Unfortunately, these incidents appear to be increasing and there's no end in sight.  Very bad news for consumers, merchants, credit card companies, banks, etc.

b.g.dixon Platinum 33 Reviews

After reading above responders, I happen to agree totally. 

So, give me all your passwords and I will rate them

Where has Kharada been?  It strikes me that Hawaiians could make up some great historical person/date/punctuation passwords!

With all those vowels too.

Lots of u's are some of the most infrequently used alphabetic characters.  Just don't make your password (you generally, not you, Anadyr) uuuu.  It has just occurred to me but has anyone every tried using other than our alphabetic system as a password (for example, greek letters or Russian ones)?  My guess is they wouldn't be accepted by a US site, but who knows?

Good question, but I assume if you are using a non traditional (for us) keyboard layout then the password can have umlauts, diacritical marks, accent grave, etc.  Even the en-ye (N with with a tilda on top, ole)

But did it?  The final section seemed relevant, but I wasn't clear whether it was saying I could or could not use Greek or Russian (Cyrillic) alphabet letters.  Maybe tomorrow I will try to change my Marriott account to something Greek .

Δώστε μια δοκιμή και δείτε αν αυτό δουλεύει.

Δώστε μια δοκιμή και δείτε αν αυτό δουλεύει.

Did it work?

Haven't tried it yet, but I did get this message in response to the football talk:

Hello,

You have received this email because your recent message was rejected by our moderator due to Spam concerns. 

'Re: Data Breaches for White Lodging Services Company'

Posted: Feb 3, 2014 6:27 AM 

If you have any questions or feel your message has been moderated in error, feel free to email us at insidershelp@marriott.com 

Did anyone else get it?

I have gotten it three times, and it was explained as "being fixed" but apparently if there are very few words surrounding a hyperlink, the moderators (they who must be obeyed) flag it as Spam and send that message.

The breach was one of the first news topics they brought up this morning on one of the morning shoes, so it sounds serious. 

Morning shoes, love it! I type fast too.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

You beat me to the post.  After reading, I had my Marriott cc replaced.  The new one will have the chip and is supposed to be safer.  Passwords are a problem.  I have at times forgot mine and it is not easy to get back in.

Sometimes and I have no idea why, my MR and Marriott password is filled in for me?

It may be partially the browser.  Sometimes with Firefox after it times out all I have to do is click on a box without re-filling in the information.  On Safari, I always have to fill in my MR number (or email) if I have cleared my cache, but not normally.  But I do have to fill in the password each time.

I'm doing it more as I get older, though I also use dictation software, so I'm lucky worse things have not come out!  Morning shoes does sound a little like Ed Sullivan though -- "We have a really shoe for you tonight."  I remember that from my early years.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...