1 2 3 9 Previous Next 131 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2014 3:55 AM by kharada46 RSS

Your Perfect "Room"?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Currently staying at a property I have so often enjoyed.  Likewise, not only is the staff wonderful, but they make sure I get the same room each stay.  While not being a room for everyone, it has everything I want in a room:

Space

A kitchen

Stove

three tv's

Two Bathrooms

A vaulted ceiling

full breakfast included in price

peaceful and very clean environment

centralized location

free parking

reasonable rates

The place?

The Residence Inn Paradise Valley, AZ, 2 BR Suite!

IMG_3038.JPG

BR #1

IMG_3039.JPG

The living room

IMG_3040.JPG

The dining area

IMG_3042.JPG

BR #2

That's my take, "Could you share your favorite room"

BTW, I can't tell you how much KH, helped me with a report on a room in Rome!  It "Made my trip"!

Your choice?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Scottsdale Paradise Valley
Denver, Colorado, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Denver Cherry Creek
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA Autograph Collection The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection
Seattle, Washington, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Seattle Marriott Waterfront
Rome, Italy Marriott Hotels & Resorts Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Berlin, Germany
Kapolei - Oahu, Hawaii, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Ihilani Ko Olina Resort & Spa
Ko'Olina, Hawaii, USA
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
Berlin, Berlin, Germany Marriott Hotels & Resorts Berlin Marriott Hotel
Salinas, California, USA
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Branson, Missouri, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Branson
  • 1. Re: Your Perfect "Room"?
    marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I do not take photos of my rooms (maybe I should...though I've missed so many great ones...whatever photos I take now...it just would not feel complete).

I really liked my last room at The Cosmopolitan (one of my favorite hotel rooms ever), but does that it even really count?  It is barely associated with Marriott.

For a true Marriott brand hotel, it would be the JW Marriott Denver Cherry Creek--the bedroom mixed a not-over-the-top luxury with a contemporary look--I loved the walls done in different colors (a nice beige wall and a subtly bright sea blue wall).  The bathroom was spacious and featured both a soaking tub and a glass shower.  Most Marriott brand hotels I have stayed at have been comfortable and feature all the stuff I need, but that room had a great look.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Your Perfect "Room"?

marriottmemberfrommia,

It doesn't even have to be a Marriott room, just a special room, anywhere!

Thats good news about the Cosmopolitan, (Never been there), but have been to JW Marriott Cherry Creek, and totally agree, it is special!

Thanks for your post!

Location Brand Hotel
    Denver, Colorado, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Denver Cherry Creek
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA Autograph Collection The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection
  • 3. Re: Your Perfect "Room"?

Since you included free parking, I guess you meant everything about the stay and not just the room.  I listed some of the things I look for when staying at a hotel that are not necessarily standard at most Marriott brand hotels.

Bedroom:

--Good A/C unit (so many Marriott brand hotels do not have this)

--In-room safe (available at most JW Marriotts, Marriotts and Renaissances; almost non-existent at Courtyards)

--An upscale and comfortable chair for sitting/relaxing

--A contemporary look (a rarity at Marriott brand hotels)

--Turndown service with chocolates

--Some kind of ottoman or something to easily unpack/pack luggage

Bathroom:

--A rainfall shower head (getting more common)

--A glass shower

--Mouthwash

Fitness Center:

--Bottled water

Concierge Lounge:

--Open 24-hours to get a bottled water, packaged snack, etc.

--Open 7 days a week for breakfast, nightly appetizers and desserts with good food

--A comercial grade single serving espresso / hot chocolate machine (I've only seen this at JW Marriotts)

Lobby:

--A contemporary and lively lobby/lounge area

Parking:

--Self parking (and not jus valet) that is competitively priced; it does not have to be free but consistent with the area.

Price:

--If it is an expensive hotel, maybe a few not-busy weekdays or weekends during the year where they offer reduced room rates (several Bay Area hotels do this)

--Shopping, dining and other activities within walking distance

Service:

--I am pretty good here; service has been consistently good on almost all of my visits

• 4. Re: Your Perfect "Room"?

I forgot to mention...a high floor with a view (city, water, mountains, etc.).

• 5. Re: Your Perfect "Room"?

marriottmemberfrommia,

Where is this place?

This sounds like the "Utopia" JW!

• 6. Re: Your Perfect "Room"?

It would be a utopia, but I've seen parts of this perfect hotel with the Marriott brand (see below). Still haven't found that perfect hotel yet.

Bedroom:

--Good A/C (several Marriott brand hotels have this, but I remember the Denver Marriott City Center having nice A/C)

--In-room safe (Courtyard Manhattan Times Square...not a big one but a rarity at Courtyards)

--An upscale and comfortable chair for sitting/relaxing (JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead)

--A contemporary look (JW Marriott Denver Cherry Creek)

--Turndown service with chocolates (Washington Marriott Metro Center)

--Some kind of ottoman or something to easily unpack/pack luggage (Renaissance Nashville)

--High floor with a view (The Cosmopolitan)

Bathroom:

--A rainfall shower head (Philadelphia Marriott Downtown)

--A glass shower (Courtyard Kansas City Briarcliff)

--Mouthwash (JW Marriott Indianapolis)

Fitness Center:

--Bottled Water (Santa Clara Marriott)

Concierge Lounge:

--Open 24-hours to get a bottled water, packaged snack, etc. (Renaissance Tulsa)

--Open 7 days a week for breakfast, nightly appetizers and desserts with good food (JW Marriott San Francisco)

--A commercial grade single serving espresso / hot chocolate machine (JW Marriott LA LIVE)

Lobby:

--A contemporary and lively/lounge area (Milwaukee Marriott Downtown--could be more lively but has a great look)

Parking:

--Self parking that is competitively priced (Renaissance Boulder--free and a lot of full service hotels charge you)

Price

--Reduced rates (SF Marriott Marquis...you can stay here below $150/night sometimes)

--Shopping, dining and other activities within walking distance (Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile)

Service:

--Great service at most Marriott brand hotels I've been to (Renaissance Boston at Patriot Place stands out)

• 7. Re: Your Perfect "Room"?

marriottmemberfrommia,

OK!

Now I get it, I really thought this place existed.

There are places that are close, and I hope we hear from some MRI as to where they are!

• 8. Re: Your Perfect "Room"?
    erc Platinum

Thoughtful post jerry, thanks. For me it's all about the view. Yes, I love the suite upgrades, but having banged around for decades staying in 250 sq. ft. rooms for sports tournaments, I'm easy when it comes to elbow room. I will say that my very favorite experience though was a suite upgrade. It was the Marriott Marquis in NY and by the once in a million chance, they gave me apparently some type of huge Presidential Suite, overlooking Times Square, it even came with an exercise bike! What made it so sweet was I was traveling with my dear friends, 25 year Marriott employees and their son, who when I gleefully showed off the room asked his folks, "hey, how come erc got this room and not us?" they had to say, "we're Quarter Century members, we only get rooms free or cheap, erc's Platinum, he gets the goods" - ha, ha, ha. Although I would have preferred free,  boy, that added to the 'Perfect Room'!

So, a great room for me is one with a terrific view like the top floor corner unit I've had (and this March also) at Newport Beach Villas or Las Olas blvd (I prefer the movement of the intracoastal over ocean) of the FLL timeshare, or the high floor corner unit of the 6th Ave. Res. Inn in NY. An even greater room is one combined with easy access to the snacks, sodas, waters, and yes, for this tech troglodyte, computers, like the marvelous JW Indy or the Wardman Park DC Marriott. The perfect room for me is one that all the stars align and I've got view, snicky snacks, and space (where my wife can catch up with her work - her choice, with a glass of wine, and I can read papers before we head out) like the hospitality suite I've been lucky enough to land at various Marriotts like the Marriott Magnificent Mile, Chicago or last weekend's beauty at the San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter.

• 9. Re: Your Perfect "Room"?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

jerrycoin you already know of one of my perfect rooms, Seattle Waterfront Marriott.  The corner room on the top floor has windows from the ceiling to the floor, two sliding glass doors which open up to a balcony that stretches around the corner of the hotel and overlooks Elliott Bay.  This is a two room suit and is simply stunning from the standpoint of views as well as comfort.  Watching the sunset over West Seattle and the Olympics with a glass of wine, or stealing a shot of the first B788 Dreamliner on it's third flight ever...........Priceless!!

P1010654.JPGS3600058.JPGS3600060.JPG

Other perfect rooms, San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf Marriott, a large corner room with a small balcony that is one of only four in the hotel where you can watch all going on outside as folks scurry to and from the wharf.  The has windows on two sides, a nice amount of drawers to store your goodies, mini refrigerator to keep your wine from the wineries on chill and down a nice quiet hallway which almost hides the room from others in the hotel.  We love our views and ability to have windows/doors open to the fresh air.

• 10. Re: Your Perfect "Room"?

IAHFLYR,

I don't know how I could forget Seattle Marriott!

It is a truly wonderful place!  Thanks for the room photo's and information!

IMGP0032.JPG

I had the room below yours, it had three balconies and a wonderful view!

Location Brand Hotel
    Seattle, Washington, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Seattle Marriott Waterfront
  • 11. Re: Your Perfect "Room"?

KH just reminded me!

How could I forget the room he introduced me to at The Grand Flora in Rome!

Room 620, a wonderful room!

Thanks KH!

IMG_3474.jpg

A most pleasant room!

IMG_3615.JPG

Location Brand Hotel
    Rome, Italy Marriott Hotels & Resorts Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
  • 12. Re: Your Perfect "Room"?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The Seattle Waterfront could just be our all time favorite.....next time we go there later this year I will have to find out just how often we've been there and in the same special room!  They've always been able to block us for that room after we call them and ask for it.

• 13. Re: Your Perfect "Room"?
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

To me the best room in any hotel must have the following:

Bedroom:

A really comfortable bed and comfortable pillows (they do not always go together).  Sleep is my first priority

Multiple sockets, one of which is near the desk where I will put my computer or tablet.  I get so tired of unplugging and plugging in devices then have no light as a result

An easy internet connection without hoops to jump through

THIS SEEMS SO LONGER TO EXIST IN MOST HOTELS:  A digital clock with large numbers.  Especially when I have to check out early in the morning, I freak out (despite being the most ridiculously early morning person around) at the possibility I'll miss a flight.  So I call the desk for a wakeup call and program the TV for it, though that part is SO annoying.  It is really hard to turn off the wakeup call on the TV quickly as it accelerates in volume and makes the people in neighboring rooms probably want to kill you, especially if it is 4 am.  I WANT A REGULAR DIGITAL CLOCK WITH ALARM back!  That way I don't have to turn on the lights to look at my watch at 1am or squint at the small TV digits en route to the bathroom.  I guess I don't trust wakeup calls, but lack of them has happened just a few times enough to make me wary.

A safe that works.  Too often my computer won't fit or the instructions don't work.

Hangers that can actually be taken off the rack -- who steals hangers these days?  At home, I actually throw them out a lot since Goodwill won't take them.

Enough drawer space.  It doesn't have to be huge, but enough

BATHROOM

A bathtub.  For those who want showers fine, but I want a bathtub, esp since I have Reynaud's syndrome and also like to read in the tub.

A socket that is not only for razors

A functional blow dryer (as opposed to one that takes 20 minutes to make a dent)

Shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and bath product or wash

A useable mirror that I don't have to break my body into two in order to put on makeup

DOOR

A Do Not Disturb sign.  In Italy, they now have doors that open on the outside simply by pressing your keycard against an electronic opening; inside you control both the temp and DND electronically.  But when I don't want to be disturbed I mean it.

A chain lock so I can't get up in the middle of the night thinking the real door is the bathroom door, thus locking myself out without keycard.  (Some of you may remember my horrific CDG New Year's Eve story to this effect from a few years back.)

A peephole.

When I'm at a boutique hotel or most hotels in Europe, it depends where I am.  In Marriotts, I love to be upgraded, like happens in Brussels, Ghent and used to happen in Athens, but never anywhere else.  But in certain cities, like Venice, geography matters -- and a great view with at least a small balcony (or an immense one as the Athens' Ledra has with views of the Acropolis) overlooking the Grand Canal or lagoon is a must.  Other cities, no big deal.

• 14. Re: Your Perfect "Room"?
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

true prof I sometimes have trouble with a new clocks set for ipods and same as you get wakeup call.  The other thing that can happen is the alarm can be set when you get there and default I think is 12am so its happen a few times where it goes off at midnight

1 2 3 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...