38 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2014 3:10 PM by iahflyr RSS

Are you ready for some football "}???

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

It's 5-0 nothing now (what a bizarre starting score), but I am most assuredly rooting for the Seahawks (who have the 5).  Denver people, please understand I think you're city is lovely, though I've only been there once.  But I think Seattle is one of the greatest cities in the US.  And that has absolutely nothing to do with my pick.  As a Pats fan, I might be accused of rooting for Pete Carroll.  Not so -- he was deplorable as coach when he was in New England.

When I realized way back before I graduated high school and knew I wanted to be a sports writer, I had become an enormous fan of the NHL, and even was an usherette at the old Spectrum in Philly so I could get into Flyers' games free.  Those were the good ole days, and I came to understand sports as teamwork.  The Broad Street Bullies were not such bullies in their first years (with Bobbie Clarke and Bernie Parent that would be ridiculous).  At the same time, I listened from Philly on radio every night to WBZ in Boston to the Bruins' games in their great years (Orr, Esposito, Sanderson).  And I came to understand what teamwork meant in creating a winner.  The Flyers surprisingly won sometimes, but the Bruins more so, because they had the ultimate of teamwork and talent.

I remember at the same time deploring the Chicago Blackhawks for what they did not have, i.e. teamwork. They had Bobby Hull.  He made a big splash all the time -- mostly for himself -- but in those days they rarely went far.

To me, my Pats (I've been a fan since moving to New England in 1976 (the bad ole days, but I am no fair weather fan), but the teamwork part began with Belichick and Brady) are the epitome of it, since Brady has taken pay cuts repeatedly to try to keep players under the cap.

But enough of my Pats -- Denver and Manning beat them fair and square. On to next year.  But while watching that game, alone, as I always do, since I am not fit for human companionship during a major football game -- I kept yelling at the screen "GET INTO MANNING'S HEAD."

I say that because I've seen it many times in postseason.  Get to him through sacks, picks, or foiled plays, and suddenly his team often crumbles. The Pats, sadly, were not able to do it this year.  I'm a big believer in psychology when it comes to sports, so while Tom Brady has bad games, he doesn't crack when things go wrong -- the prior Denver game when we were down 24-0 at the half and ended up winning proves that.  But just look at Peyton Manning's face when things start to go the other way.  He DOES get down.  And when he is most of the team(Denver fans, feel free to dispute me here) that will not bode well.

BTW -- it's now the equally bizarre score of 8-0.

Short answer to this rambling (but I think coherent) message is that I have nothing against Denver and not much for Seattle (except for a city I love), but I like teamwork in any professional sport I follow.  I never want and never will root for a Bobby Hull (boy am I dating myself!) or Peyton Manning team.  Some will challenge me with Brady's fame, but everyone on the Patriots and who reports on them always say he is first man in, last out, and always, even when injured coaches his subs (like Matt Cassell a few years back -- the same year Brett Favre said it was not his job to teach Aaron Rodgers how to be a QB ).

As for Indianapolis, now that Peyton is gone, I am all for a team with Andrew Luck.  He seems good and team-oriented and will be a challenge in the future.

Finally, I don't loathe Peyton Manning -- I just don't like what he seems (to me) to stand for -- himself and self-promotion.  His brother Eli, who if I'm not mistaken has won more Super Bowl rings, usually at NE's expense, does not strike me that way at all.

Sorry all.  Once in a great while I need to express that longing I had to be a sportswriter in 1970.  This is no example of that, just ramblings.  But go Seahawks!

Cheers, ProfC

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Are you ready for some football "}???
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Professor,

Manning does seem to be rattled, something not oft seen, and Denver's offense is indeed struggling.  What strikes me even more is that Denver's defense cannot seem to get any sort of read whatsoever on Seattle's offense (which greatly pleases me.)  We'll see what wisdom if any might be gained during halftime by the Bronco defense (hopefully none), and hopefully Seattle will remain strong in a contest that demands endurance among other things.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi Pluto,

Hope you all know I was playing my hand at what I wanted most to do in life -- but as a woman could not do in 1970.  How times have changed!  But the Bobby Hull part -- when the Blackhawks never won anything important but he had the most goals taught me important lessons about sports that were proven by the Flyers and the Bruins in those years.  I think the same lessons are true in life -- about teamwork as opposed to stars.

I watched the Patriots through many awful years (wrote and got published letters to the editor in the Boston Globe with my criticisms -- and even a letter back from long-time coach Chuck Fairbanks who 'acknowledged' my complaint that he played Steve Grogan long after Steve Grogan could do anything useful). Then we had the horrific Tony Eason as QB, followed by Bledsoe.  I give Bledsoe all kinds of points for character with the Brady switchover, but it was a long time a' comin' and I was ready to write another letter.  I was actually watching the game at the house of the parish manager (priest there, but he and I were the only ones seriously watching the game) when Bledsoe got taken out for injury and I cheered YES!!!  Not that I wanted Bledsoe injured of course, but I wanted him gone as QB.  Belichick made the right choice once Bledsoe got healthy and Bledsoe showed his class then.  But at least some people ))) in the parish view me as a prophetess for that vision of Brady way back in his first real year. Others probably view me as a witch.  (There are lots of Giants fans in these parts since in the olden days when they were the Boston Patriots, Giants games got shown in Maine -- way before my time!)

The thing about Manning (Peyton, not Eli) is he's easy to rattle.  That is what so frustrated me about the AFC playoff two weeks ago.  Don't mistake me, Peyton earned that win, but there was so much even a depleted Patriot team could have done to get him off his game.  I really do believe that understanding the other team and its most important players psychologically is at least one of the keys to winning.

It's now 22-0 at half.  Bath time since I hate halftime shows.  But GO SEATTLE!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Hi prof,

Late checking in as usual, but I was totally immersed in the game, and then we went out for a celebration piece of pie afterwards.  The Seahawks had a truly remarkable defense today.  Their offense was good, but we all know that really good defense can win games, and boy did their defense show up for this game.  every aspect of it.  It reminded me of the preseason matchup that Denver and Seattle had this year.  It almost seemed like a replay.  I figured that Denver had gotten over that, and made compensations, but didn't seem to be the case.  My hats off to the Bronco fans, as I try not to let myself get caught in up the "I hate the team, so I hate the team's fans" mentality.  It's never fun to be on the losing end, and we, along with almost all fans, have taken more that our share of the losing.  Anyway, you are probably in bed, so you'll see this tomorrow.  GO SEAHAWKS!  Oh, may wife Sandy and I made a video that we put on Youtube (that we had to take the music off of because of copyright, so it doesn't sound near as good) of a pool trick I modified to show the 12th man pushing the 11 players into the Super Bowl.  A little dorky, but we just got caught up in the fever.  pluto77 and IAHFLYR , since you are Seattle fans too, here it is:  A Pool Player's 12th Man Salute to the Seahawks Road to the Superbowl - YouTube

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

tryt53,

That's a great video......no dork in that at all.  But how long did it take you to set it up and how many takes?

Thanks IAHFLYR,

It took about 30 minutest to set up and about 6 takes.  The shot is really pretty simple to make, and the takes were usually related to video issues.  The night before, they were having the last Seahawks Blue Friday in O'Blarney's, as a charity fund raiser for the Boys and Girls Club, so we went.  Just for fun, I tried the standard version of the shot that I hadn't shot for several years, and my wife shot it with her iPhone and it went perfect the first time.  The standard version is to put the 8-Ball up in the corner, with all the solids lined up, and all the stripes lined up right after them.  That shot shows the 8-ball coming down and then all 15 balls going in, one after the other.  It was Friday night after I got home, that the idea came to me to make a 12th Man Seahawks version of the shot with all the little props.  I think we were trying to think of ways to add to the 12th Man fever, and find ways to pass the time to the big game, at the same time.  Glad you liked it.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Super video and congrats to Seattle Seahawks and their great fans!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

very cool tryt!

nuhusker, I'm glad you liked it, and it's always good to hear from you

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Well, it's 29-0 and I am thinking of watching Downton Abbey in a half hour…..  This game is worse  than terrible.  That said, I cannot believe, Prof, that you feel the way you do about Peyton.  I think he is one fine man.  I suppose it is a New England thing…..  Also, I think Eli is a crybaby…..

Does anyone else feel the same as Prof?

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I don't think Denver was "ready for some football."   

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I don't feel the same about Peyton Manning.  He is a good ambassador for the league and he is an incredibly passionate player who cares a lot about those around him (just look at his going away speech at his last Indianapolis Colts conference).

He does do a lot of commercials and it is all about him.  Is it too much?  I do not think so.  If you can be the biggest sports figure around...why not?  I think it stands out because so many top athletes do not do it...Tom Brady, LeBron James, Derek Jeter, etc. do not do many commercials.

Michael Jordan used to do a lot of commercials and he is still the most popular basketball player today and Peyton Manning is the most popular football player and will continue to be for some time.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

My choice of the Seahawks is based solely on the fact that I resided in the Pacific Northwest for almost 10 years. I lived there during the only other Super Bowl appearance (a loss against the Steelers). I think Peyton Manning is a great quarterback, but want to see Seattle win a major championship. It's been a long time since the SuperSonics (now OKC Thunder) won the NBA championship, and while I'm ever hopeful that the Mariners will someday win the World Series, it looks like the Seahawks will bring glory to the city.

BTW, I don't mean to disrespect the Seattle Sounders (soccer team) who have won a couple championships, but MLS doesn't have the attention of the country like the NFL, MLB or NBA.

In terms of tonight's game, it is not really all on Manning.  Seattle just has a far superior defense, a better coach, a better special teams, and Seattle's offensive playmakers have stepped up their game while Denver's offensive playmakers have not.  The reality is that the NFC was a much better conference this year and one of the AFC's top teams (Patriots) had a lot of injuries; Denver had a few too.

No QB has ever won a Super Bowl with 2 different teams so to just get to this game says a lot about Peyton Manning.  Joe Montana and Tom Brady have more Super Bowls, but even though Peyton Manning has had a lot of great players/coaches around him...Joe Montana had Bill Walsh, Jerry Rice, Roger Craig, Ronnie Lott, John Taylor, etc. and Tom Brady has had Bill Belichick and many great and even underrated players (Richard Seymour, Corey Dillon, Tedy Bruschi, etc.).

I do think Peyton Manning is probably not going to win another Super Bowl.  Denver needs a lot of work and he is just not going to have enough healthy years left.

With all that said, I was rooting for Seattle.  I've always liked Pete Carroll because he is always respectful to fans/media while many coaches like Bill Belichick and Nick Saban kind of dismiss people and are even condescending to people.  Nothing against those coaches...they are obviously very successful...and I do not know what it is like to be in their shoes or have to deal with what they have to deal with on a daily basis.

However, no matter how frustrated I get, I do my best to treat people with respect and I feel Carroll does that as well...while a lot of other coaches barely try.  I do not mind it as much with players, but I think head coaches should try to be more (as Colin Cowherd would put it) presidential like Mack Brown.

tfreeman98 Platinum 13 Reviews

marriottmemberfromla -

I am not trying to pick a fight here, but I have exactly the opposite impression of Pete Carroll.  My first memory of him was the famous "choke" gesture he made as an assistant coach for the Jets, directed at a Dolphins kicker, over 20 years ago.  http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1992-12-22/sports/9203080015_1_jets-defensive-coordinator-pete-carroll-shula.  I don't follow college football, so I don't know the whole story, but I am aware that there was some confrontation between Harbaugh and Carroll when they were both college coaches.  For all I know, that incident was Harbaugh's fault, so it may not reflect poorly on Carroll at all, or not much. 

Bottom line is that I have always thought that both Carroll and Harbaugh come off as first class jerks.  Which is why I was rooting for the Broncos today, a team for which I have no particular affinity.  I feel good that some of the Seahawks players that they won the championship (in particular Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch), but I otherwise wish the game had gone the other way.  Carroll is the last person associated with the Seahawks that I wanted to see get a Super Bowl ring.  (Well, either Carroll or Richard Sherman.)

Just my opinion, but the main point I was trying to make was Carroll's treatment of the media/fans because I can relate to a journalist asking somebody questions and I would rather ask Carroll a question after the game than Saban and Belichick.  This is probably more Saban than Belichick, but the way Saban talks down to reporters can be rough...the person is just trying to do their job at the end of the day.

I will say this about Carroll, I do see him quite a bit in Manhattan Beach at brunch and at the local movie theater (usually 3-4 times in the offseason) and he is always very friendly, polite and respectful to restaurant servers/theater employees and that is not always the case with athletes and celebrities; in fact, a lot of people in general do not treat restaurant servers and theater employees that well.

To Carroll's credit, he was overwhelmingly voted as the coach most NFL players wanted to play for according to an ESPN poll.

In terms of the stuff that goes on the field and in locker rooms--the choke gesture (though a long time ago), Jim Harbaugh and his fights with coaches (Carroll, the Detroit Lions coach), Richard Sherman (though his stuff did extend off the field)--I really do not try to analyze that.  It is a competitive and violent world that I do not understand and I think most people outside of professional sports would not understand.  Tom Brady was caught on TV swearing at a ref this year.  Michael Jordan punched a fellow Bulls player during practice.  After the Jonathan Martin story, NFL players came forward and said that players on some teams would bully assistants and trainers they disliked into quitting their jobs.

I am not saying that any of this is right/okay but just that we do not have access to this world.  The Jim Harbaugh stuff, the Richard Sherman stuff and the Carroll choke gesture may actually be tame by professional sports standards.  Who knows what really goes on there?  There are probably things our favorite players do that would disappoint us.  It is like Jim Mora said, "You think you know, but you do not know."

I enjoyed Seattle winning a championship.  A lot of cities like Seattle do not get to win a championship.  I also enjoyed Pete Carroll winning a championship--3rd oldest coach to win ever (which is a feat).  I think it would have been great if Manning would have won too (he would have been the first QB ever to win a Super Bowl with 2 different teams).

tfreeman98 Platinum 13 Reviews

You make some fair points.  There are a bunch of different issues floating around about how these coaches interact with their players, opposing players, referees, other coaches, media, and the public, and of course we only see what becomes public and/or is amplified by the media (some of whom may have an ax to grind).  Harbaugh, for example, seems to be just as big a jerk to the media as he is to other coaches, whereas I take your word for it that Carroll is not.  Anyway, I am looking forward to the 2014 season already.

Did anyone actually see this score coming before the game?  Honestly?

I picked Seattle in a pool, but only by 31-21.

I did not see that score coming.  I was nervous as I think I wanted Seattle to win more than I was willing to admit even to myself.  It's not often that a favorite team makes it to the Superbowl and then wins.  So when it happens, it's special (especially in my case, since besides being a Niners fan, I'm a closet Seahawks - well, not any more , Rams and Cardinals (AZ) fan, none of which have done very well in the past decade at least).  My husband was foul the entire game.  Like Anadyr, he was a sore loser over the Niners conference championship loss (I mourned that too, just shook it off and switched to plan B).  Why there is Superbowl food (and Clydesdales and puppies), to comfort the fans of the thwarted.  Speaking of which, what happened to the Superbowl food poll?

As all of my fave teams are NFC, I am gratified that the NFC had such a good year.  The AFC has dominated for a very long time.  My only problem is that all of my favorite teams are in the same division.  I have the same problem in the MLB.

Anyway, congrats to Seahawks and their Twelfth Man.

pluto77,

I deleted the poll this morning in an attempt at house keeping since it closed yesterday with Hot Wings the winner.  Somebody has to delete something from all this site!

We went to a party yesterday where the large majority were Bronco lovers.  My wife had been doing some facebook banter with one of the woman that was going to attend the party. She was a Bronco fan and since the Mrs. is from PDX of course we wanted SEA to win.  Before we left for the party after I had found a blue v-neck sweater to put over my lime green tee shirt she printed a Seahawk poster, folded it up and told her it was a recipe to try....LOL soo funny to see her face when she opened it.  She gave it back to my wife and kept saying "don't touch them they have Seahawk juice".....the wife wore it on her shirt the rest of the game.  The two of us and two others loved the game while the others sat in disbelief and shock, yet still a great time with great friends all in fun.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

profchiara, Reading your post brought back fond memories from the mid- to late 70s, when the Atlanta Flames were in the Patrick Division with the Flyers. I always made it a point to see the Flyers when they came to town, with Clarke, Parent, MacLeish, Schultz, etc. The Flames gave them some good matches during those years, with Tommy Lysiak, Bobby MacMillan, Guy Chouinard, and Eric Vail providing most of the offense. Of course, the Flames never really got over the hump till they relocated to Calgary. And hockey continues to be a tough sell down here.

I don't mean to heist a football thread and redirect it to hockey, but I wanted to say thanks for stirring the memories.

Hi foxglove,

Hockey was my first love when the Flyers came to town in the expansion, and when it wasn't hockey season I was in a deep funk since I was never an Eagles or Phillies fan (though I became a Montréal Expos fan!).  I mostly had to listen to games on the radio, including the strong signal of WBZ from Boston so I could also listen to the B's.  I was allowed to go to some games with adults and then briefly became an usherette till they made me do rock concerts too (not good for a 16-yr-old who was expected to control drugs!)

YIPPEE!  I just found out I won the Super Bowl week pick for Bangor's UPick'em!  Turns out I didn't give myself enough of a good score credit -- I picked Seattle 38-14.  Now this may not be Las Vegas, but all I have to do is drive about an hour to Brewer to eat $50 worth of seafood .

Congrats Prof.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

That's worth an hour's drive anytime and probably takes some of the sting out of the Pats not making the big game. Congratulations!

erc Platinum

Congrats prof - that's pretty impressive forecasting.

After whining like one of Arnold's 'girlymen' about my stupid strategy of putting all of my picks in one column and getting 'crappy' numbers (DB/8  SS/4)   (DB/8  SS/6) (DB/8 SS/2) and what I thought was the worse one, (DB/8 SS/3), like a blind squirrel finding an acorn, I backed into half of the neighborhood's scoring grid pool. Because of my Richard Sherman like post game interview highlighting the brilliance of my picking strategy, I'm loved by the cul de sac, one and all .

Most of you no doubt have heard this, but to me it's an amazing fact - the 43-8 score was the first time in history that an NFL game (not just Super Bowl, nor playoff - but any game) had ever ended in that score. I'm sure there's a way somehow in that fact to win a beer out of that little tidbit.

I think that being loved by the cul de sac is what matters most!

Very nice job, prof!  I'm glad you had so much confidence in our Seahawks.  Even more confidence than the loyal fans had.  We had steak and lobster while we watched the Super Bowl and the lobster was frozen, from Canada, and just OK.  Makes me wish I was over in the Maine area for some really good stuff.  Enjoy and let us know how it is

Hi Tryt -- I will, though with two more snowstorms en route, I'm not sure how soon I'll get to Brewer -- it is to the east of Bangor, which is about 50 miles north of here. I really do like the Seahawks, especially this year, though my lack of fan-ship about Peyton (I was trying to put that delicately )may have made me pick the spread that I did.

Congratulations!

I pulled the SEA 6/DEN 0 square.  With about maybe 4-5 mins left in the 3rd quarter, the score landed on my square.  It's difficult to have a score even land on a square, let alone stay on a square until the end of a quarter, so I was happy to see it on my square, but as there was so much time left in the quarter, didn't put too much stock into it.  The the clock wound down under 3 minutes, and then under two minutes.  "Oh my gosh," I thought.  I just might win a quarter in a football pool for once in my life!  Less than 30 seconds now.  "I might win!"  Denver had the ball, and Peyton had managed to slowly move his team downfield, but I thought if Denver can't score (a distinct possibility in this game), Seattle probably can't do anything with a punt return with only a few seconds remaining in the quarter.  "I'm gonna win!"  3rd down, about 10 seconds to go, Peyton manages to get a throw off, but it was an incomplete pass, which would've sealed the deal, had it not been for Seattle garnering a pass interference penalty, which gave Denver another first down and put them in scoring position.  Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!  About 4 secs to go, the ball is hiked, Peyton falls back looking for his man.  The clock hits zero, "YES!"  Peyton finally throws the ball, we're at about -5 seconds now, the win should be mine, right?  Touchdown.  Why, why, WHY?    Arrrrgh!!!

Sorry Pluto, my wife got the 3 and 8 square and won the last quarter and game.  I want my allowance now!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...