43 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2014 3:49 PM by Sledchick RSS

Venice III: Last week in January

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I took very few photos my last trip both because I have approximately 700 photos of Venice and because I got sick toward the end of my stay.  But staying in my suite at the Pesaro Palace made everything worthwhile because I could just watch the Grand Canal all day and night, since I had three windows looking out on it and one other from the bathroom looking out at Ca' d'Oro. This is only accepting a certain amount of photos now, so I'll send a second post.IMG_1942_1.JPGIMG_1944_1.JPGIMG_1946_1.JPGIMG_1954_1.JPGIMG_1962_1.JPGIMG_1967_1.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Venice III: Last week in January

Here are the rest of the photos, including views from the room:IMG_1977_1.JPGIMG_1973_1.JPGIMG_1987_1.JPGIMG_2004_1.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Those are gorgeous Prof, thanks for sharing them and hope you are feeling better.  From the looks of it you had a very spacious room and well kept up as well. 

Last two times we were in Venice we stayed at Boutique Hotel Venice accommodation Locanda Orseolo Official Site |  typical charming Inn Venice,St. Mark's Square which was spectacular, brings back great memories seeing your photos.  I think I asked you previously, but have they cleaned up some of the graffiti and street peddlers over the last couple of years?

Hi IAHFLYR,

There's some political graffiti, but it's usually cleaned up quickly.  They've been doing something creative for the past few years which takes getting used to but is good in the long run: companies are putting large but more or less tasteful large signs on some buildings and monuments which are supporting the infrastructure and lagoon.  Venice is also becoming very eco-friendly.  While other cities may not care so much, in Venice it's crucial.  And as I mentioned after my December visit, it's also becoming more handicap-accessible.  The main bridges (like near the Bridge of Sighs) now have ramps as well as steps.

It is good to hear they are keeping the city clean and are eco friendly.  Thanks for the info.

The 'vu cumpra' as the sellers of knockoff purses etc. are known derogatorily (Donna Leon has a great mystery about them) still are in the main tourist areas but they generally don't bother you.  The area around the Bridge of Sighs is where most ply their trade.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Heavenly.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Quick question:

Am working on a trip to Venice for Dec 6 thru the 13th.  Arrive Sunday, leave the following Saturday.

Would you recommend we stay at the Pisaro Palace, in the lovely suite you had, or where?

Will be booking someplace soon.

Thanks!

Hi Jerry,

Absolutely!  There is no better place in Venice in my view.  I have stayed in three different rooms there -- two suites (one an upgrade and one I paid for, but since it was down season, when you will be going, it's very affordable) and one superior room. The reason to go for a suite is you have many windows on the Grand Canal.  On their site they have an email connection and you can write to Paola, who is simply wonderful.  (You can mention my name --you know the real one-and I am pretty sure she will remember me ).  It is right next to the museum Ca' d'Oro (known as the wedding cake palazzo because of its whiteness and Gothic arches), which you can see from my shots.  Best yet, although it has a launch area of its own, if you get off at the Ca' d'Oro vaporetto stop you are right there -- no bridges at all.  It's also in my favorite sestiere of the city (Cannaregio), which is north of the Rialto Bridge and thus quieter and more 'real' in many ways.  And there are some wonderful restaurants I can guide you to nearby.

I think you'll be happy you did! (Like Rome.)  Weather is the only if, but I have so much come to prefer December and January to the summer months.

Best, ProfChiara

professor,

Thank-you so much!

Will get to work on this.  Again, my major problem is getting there from STL, with poor connections, it makes it tough, but will look for decent flights/  With the current "Mergers" in airlines, I just hope something will make it easier to fly there and avoid multiple connections.

Cheers to you professor!

And to you to, Jerry, for being adventurous.  I remember when you didn't want to go to Rome a few years ago.  I don't know about from STL, but it's only one stop for me, even in winter.  You might do a reverse search on arrivals and departures from Aeroporto Marco Polo that go through US or fairly easy international cities. 

PS - Jerry, one you are at Marco Polo either arriving or departing, it is one of the simplest and easiest airports anywhere.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

profchiara

As always, excellent pictures.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Oooh, is that where you are right now, Prof?

Hi MissGee,

I returned Tuesday night after a week because second semester starts next week.  But I've been in Venice twice in two months so I can't complain (and 3 times in 4!)

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Heaven.  I've always thought that I should live in Italy for a portion of my life.  Sadly, I need another lifetime to carry out all my "shoulds".  lol

MissGee,

I was reading an Commissario Alec Blume mystery today (Rome), and there was a wonderful quote which the character could not attribute: "To live in another country, to know another language, is to possess a second soul."  Supposedly that was said by Charlemagne, who knew several.  Oddly, although he tried all his life and kept a pencil under his pillow, he could never learn to write.

But I fully believe the gist of the statement.  I certainly have a French soul, and although I have never lived in Italy like in France, I think my ever so many visits and now fairly good command of the language should qualify me.

I am a different person in these places.  I am friendlier, more gregarious, really go out of my way more than at home to help people if I can, and just soak in the experiences. I also learned from my "French family" long ago that I had to learn to yell under certain circumstances -- not to be nasty or mean but to be heard.  To me, it is absolutely impossible for me to raise my voice at home (unless I witness animal or child abuse), and I shrink like a violet when neighbors have fights.

But in Italy and France, yelling doesn't mean fighting. It means having a conversation.  So by my travels I get to have multiple personalities that are quite different from the Hermit of Waterville .

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Prof

Thanks soooooo much for the travel pics!  what a beautiful place.

shoeman

Hi Shoeman,

Thanks! When I'm more awake I'll add a few more.  I arrived in extreme fog and some of those pics are interesting too.

Cheers, ProfC

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

No wonder you go back time and time again!  Just beautiful.  Thanks for sharing.

sledchick,

Wonderful comment, and it's a shame Venice is so difficult to get to from the Mid-West!

But we all know that eventually nothing will stop you from getting to where you want to go, jerrycoin!

sledchick,

I hope the airline schedules change so I can go in December.  Right now, I would have to fly to Atlanta, Paris, and then Venice.  Same on the return.  I just cannot fly that long, "To relax"!

Jerry, How do you normally fly to Paris?  Venice is only an extra 1 hour and 33 minutes!

Venezia is calling your name.  "Come to Venezia, Jerry and Nancy."  The voices of history (is that Marco Polo I hear?), romance, shopping and dining are calling out to you.  "We're waiting for you.  A table and a gondola, a room with a canal view and a guided tour of the Basilica di San Marco and the Doge's Palace, along with chamber music outdoors in St. Mark's Square excitedly await your visit."

Jerry, you mustn't ignore such a welcoming beckon!

pluto,

You are a "Wonderful saleslady"!

I think if I try that trip, instead of winding up at "The Doge's House" , I may wind up in "The Dog House"!

Your advice is well taken!  Thank-you!

Si, si, Jerry e Nancy!

Pluto ha ragione.  Venezia vi chiama!  (Pluto's right, Venice is calling to you!)  Another possibility is a direct flight to Rome with a short flight to Venice.

I am going to feel terrible if the weather is bad in December, but I can tell you from my personal viewpoint that I love Venice so, so much better in winter after the last several trips (3 of them in winter in the last 14 months).  When the cruise ships dispense their thousands of passengers into a city of 65,000 inhabitants, it becomes a different place.  But in December and to only a slightly lesser degree in January, you have the city to yourself with Venetians and only a few tourists.  Everything is easy to get into without lines, prices are cheaper, and oddly (for me) the weather has been better.  Some of the worst weather I experienced in Venice was last May with acqua alta (not seriously so, but a lot of rain).

Ciao, ProfC

jerrycoin, how can you pass up Venezia with profchiara and pluto77 guiding you?  Now I even want to go!

Sledchick,

The Professor, Pluto, and you are all my "Valentines"!

But before I really get into trouble, I just want to say "Thanks" to all of you!

Here's my special Valentine, last week at The Grand Canyon!

IMG_3736.JPG

BTW, that is NOT my purse!

Thank you, jerrycoin, you're so sweet!  The private jet idea sounds sweet, too.  Mrs. Coin looks cold -- was it on the cool side or just breezy?  And um, okay, it's not your purse.  Whatever you want.  A male tote bag?  Just kidding!!!!

And I forgot to tell you it's a beautiful snapshot.  That was my first thought when I saw it, I went, "Awwww!" and then spaced on mentioning it at all.  I appreciate your sharing it with us!

Jerry, What she said!

Sledchick,

First, I am not sure what Pluto means with "What she said"?

Secondly, I will have to put together a "Photo album" of The Grand Canyon.  Will post is soon!

"What she said" is akin to "Ditto", meaning she concurs or agrees or would have written that comment herself.  Okay?  We love the photo albums, keep them coming!

Sledchick,

It was cold and windy!

The bottom was about to fall out of the weather, but we had a great time.  Will put together a story on the trip soon!

PS, My Dr. has also prescribed "Pepper" in large "Doses" to offset my "Sweetness".  It's a real struggle!

Looking forward to your trip report.  So can one assume that you spike your Dr. Pepper with medicine?

Your comment reminds me of my father putting pepper in his beer glass when I was younger.  You made me smile -- thanks!

That's a lovely picture of Mr. & Mrs. Coin.  Private jets are always the best way to travel and the pharmacy is ALWAYS well stocked.

Thank you so much, Jerry and Nancy!  You are the epitome of Valentine sweethearts, which is all the more reason you must go to Venice.  It is (as long as you're not there in the heat of July and the cruise ships and endless tourists) one of the romantic places on earth.  If you do go to the Doge's palace (highly recommended), and cross underneath the outside view of the Bridge of Sighs, just don't stay too long -- it was the dungeon from which no one returned.  I  hope you get a good stay at the Pesaro.  Along with a hotel on Mykonos, it is my favorite hotel in the world, and Paola is unbelievably friendly and helpful.

Professor,

Thanks!

I am really going to work on "Making this happen"!

You will help me with details of course.

When will you be going back?

Professor,

You were sure right about Rome, so I will take your suggestion very serious.  As a matter of fact, I am going to check with Delta on their "Private Jet" program, and maybe I can "Hitch a ride" for us to/from Venice!

I have a new colleague in Italian ( from the boot of Italy ) who seems to agree with me about winter being the best months to spend time in Venice:

"Anche a me piace molto Venezia d'inverno! " (I, too, much prefer Venice in winter.)

So it's not just me, and Jerry, I think you're going to have a wonderful time.  It's remotely possible I will be there at the same time, or at least overlap in the second week of December (the first I still have to teach).

professor,

Nancy and I will try to co-ordinate with your schedule.  The Pesaro Palace would be the place!

I will be working with Delta tomorrow on flight possibilities.

Hi Jerry,

My last day of first semester teaching in fall of 2014 is Thursday December 4th, and I can probably get a flight that night from Boston, which would get me to Venice on the 5th, probably in the afternoon.  I can't guarantee it, but that's my best guess and I would love to meet you personally!Cheers ProfC

professor,

Nancy and I feel the same about you!

Will be working on this this, she just won't change planes more than once on a trip.  There will be a lot of "Airline changes" this year, so I will keep an eye on them.!

Thanks for the information!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...