3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2014 11:41 AM by iahflyr RSS

United fare shenanigans

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I came across this article and I had to share it. Basically United's uses certain logic when displaying fares, but they don't make much sense, and certainly don't always give the best fare. The fact that you can arrive at a different fare for the exact same flights simply by changing the way you search seems very wrong to me. What does everyone think?

http://blog.wandr.me/2014/02/uniteds-best-fare-only-if-you-ask-very-nicely/

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: United fare shenanigans
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Good information and thanks for posting the link ks77.

Being creative in your searches for the best fare for your flight has been a fine art for the last 10 years or more.  There are so many options to consider and even First Class fares are not much higher than Economy on some flights.  I've recently been booking some trips on this flying friendly airline (but not to Europe) and found the following in the last 10 days:

• IAH-EWR Economy non-refundable change with a fee   - $449
    • IAH EWR First Class non-refundable change with a fee - $1739
    • IAH-LGA  Economy non-refundable change with a fee    - $537
    • IAH-LGA First Class non-refundable change with a fee   - $607

All these were on the exact same flights.  However; the catch on the IAH-LGA First Class fare  of $607 was you have to spend three nights or else it's $1512 for the exact same non-refundable change for a fee price, but no place is that shown you just have to search around and dig deep.  I found very similar things when searching IAH-RSW, First Class fare within $120 of Economy.

Then you have the other fares depending on your Premier level.  If you find an "M Class" fare still non-refundable and change for a fee, most times on UA a Premier 1K can buy the higher end Economy fare and get the free upgrade to First Class if available at time of purchase. Other fares such as "B or Y Class" are fully refundable and changeable, any Premier level can get the free upgrade to First Class on most flights if available at time of purchase.

So look around some before clicking that purchase button, I would imagine all airlines have similar issues not just UA.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Very interesting. Everyone wants the best deal/cheapest price. Business always wants to make as much revenue/profit as possible. The ethics part comes in when you have deceptive agents who are wholly unhelpful or knowingly watch you book something more expensive when a cheaper or even better option is available.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Well said, I just don't use agents unless I have totally boned up my reservation which could happen at any moment.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...