26 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2014 4:11 PM by missgee RSS

2014 status

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My profile is currently showing Platinum status as of today ( Jan 30th, 2014). Last year, 2013, I was short of the 75 night requirement staying just under 60 nights.

My question is have they granted me Platinum for 2014 as a loyalty bonus or will I be downgraded to Gold in the upcoming weeks.

Thanx, JD

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 2014 status
    missgee Silver 40 Reviews

If I remember correctly, the year end changes are in February.  I'm going to lose my status too. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

hopefully we will both keep our current status....

And.... there it is. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Missgee,

Sorry so late, but you and Madmax, oh and profchiara too can come on over and sit beside me and Sledchick at our Gold Elite table.  There's plenty of room, the food and conversation is good, and from all of the complaining that I've read regarding not getting suite upgrades as a Platinum, I don't think there's that much difference between Plat and Gold (2.5 bonus points per Marriott dollar spent as far as I can tell, oh and that $10 arrival credit that everyone complains about, though the Platinum arrival gifts in Europe are still pretty nice, it seems.)  It's still good to be Gold and breakfast is still free.  And sometimes, as in Seattle this past weekend, they will even throw us a juicy, golden bone in the form of a suite upgrade.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

pluto77 that was my sentiment exactly. I'm not paying 40,000 points which would get me a room in some places away to buy back something that may or may not benefit me more than gold status other than accumulating points faster. I actually don't think I will even make Gold this next year as my Marriott stays are getting fewer when traveling overseas Other chains (Shangri-la, Hyatt, Hilton) are building more conveniently located hotels near my travel destinations, so I am not staying at Marriotts as often. I will however enjoy what I can get as long as I can get it and then hopefully retire and use the rest of my points on leisure travel with my hubby.

Thanks for the invitation to the Gold table.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I am always happy to be a gold, pluto!  And I don't mind bringing the beverages to our Gold Elite table.  We would definitely have a good time and learn a lot from each other!  And, guess what?  Last night we got a suite upgrade -- the best one yet.  Gold Elites are on a roll!

I am happy to be invited to the Gold Elite table, pluto77, thank you!  That makes everything better. 

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

jamesdean,

I have a feeling that you have been renewed as Platinum even though you have not made the 75 nights.  Marriott will often do this for loyal rewards members who fall a little short of meeting the 75 nights.  You can always call the Marriott Rewards desk to confirm that you have been renewed at Platinum.

Hi Vaboywnder, I kinda think your right....it looks like everything has been zeroed and reset for 2014 showing me as Platinum status, anyway I hope it remains but I seem to remember they do the reset in Feb....

JD

JD,

I received my Gold Elite mailer yesterday for 2014.  Inside the front cover, a form letter read:

"Dear Mrs. Pluto,

In appreciation for your loyalty, I am pleased to renew your Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status.  Although the number of nights required to renew your Elite lever were not quite met, I invite you to enjoy your benefits for another year."

Oops, guess they wanted to make sure I am aware of their generosity in light of falling short, and it's potential consequences.  Duly noted, Marriott (along with many, many thanks for the renewal.)

Dear Mrs. Pluto....I love it! 

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I always thought Pluto was your first name.  Something like Pluto J. McGillicuddy

Cinderella, Adele, Pink, Bono, Sting, Usher, Santana, Voltaire, Charo!, Pluto.     Some celebrities are so big, they don't need a last name...   Yet in polite society, one needs a title... as I am a traditionalist, I opt for Mrs. (vs Ms.)  But here's the deal: You caught me looking.  I googled Pluto J. McGillicuddy!    Well played, my friend!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

LOL..

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I, too, got what you did Pluto.  I was a little short of nights to renew my gold status and am super appreciative they did this without my asking.  Yay!

FYI, just logged into my account and was downgraded to Gold, pondered using point to go back to Plat (40,000 points), since I had a good cashe of points I decided to use them to renew status, back to Plat for 2014.

I was hopeful some goodwill would be forwarded, however rules are rules I guess!!!

jamesdean,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't renew at Platinum.  Do you by chance have a Chase Marriott Rewards Credit Card?  I have the Chase Card and had 54 nights (credit card nights included) in 2013 and was renewed as Platinum.  I have this theory that MR members who have the Chase card are getting special treatment with renewals.  See my recent post here:http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/15891  Hopefully some other Insiders will reply to help determine if my theory is true.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

sorry vaboywnder, hate to burst your bubble but I was dropped down to Gold even though I have Chase Premier cc

I contemplated buying in this year but decided against it. I'm going to try gold this year and see how much difference it makes in how fast points add up.

btw, my status did not change until yesterday so I thought there was a chance they left me there, but didn't pan out.

madmax,

Thanks for the reply.  Just out of curiousity how many nights did you have in 2013?  Also how long have you been a MR member?  I've been a MR member since 94 but have not acheived lifetime Gold or Platinum yet.  I did reach Lifetime Silver last year.  I have enough nights for Lifetime Gold but lacking the points.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

49 nights which is just short of gold. However I believe they only knock you down one level at a time so gold it is. I have been a member since 1998 but for the last 5 years I have dropped my overseas travel down to only once per year instead of twice, therefore not accumulating near as many points as before. Plus only half of my stays are at Marriott properties now since they have a Shangri La right next to the Pazhou Building in Guangzhou where I attend the trade shows. The Marriott is farther away and because of the convenience and the great service/ammenities at the Shangri-La, we stay there. I will never achieve lifetime anything because I won't be working but a few more years, which imo is a wonderful thing

I will enjoy whatever I can get out of the few years I have left to accumulate points on work time and then spend them when I'm not. Then I guess it's Best Western for me as I can't afford to stay at Marriotts on social security

Hi vaboywnder, yes I do have a Chase card but its the Canadian edition, not as good as the USA card for benefits. I stay at the higher end level properties, mostly due to neccessity so my 60 nites would prob be 100 + in the lessor category. Its dissapointing but.....

anyway lets see what 2014 holds, rewards and perks work both ways, if you know what I mean!!!!

cheers, JD

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Just out of curiosity, wonder if joshm hadn't looked in to this if jamesdean may not have been downgraded?

In other words, don't ask the question if you might not like the answer!!

UM, nope never heard a word from joshm, maybe bad news is better left unanswered....Lol!!!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Maybe he shouldn't have looked in to it is my point!

Yep, I hear ya.....dont ask, dont tell.

Personally I dont think there that connected, but then again maybe....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...