12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2014 2:07 PM by iahflyr RSS

Email Reminder of Upcoming Reservations

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Why do some Marriott properties email you a reminder of upcoming reservations 10-14 days ahead and offer you a virtual concierge to reply with special requests while others do not send the reminder?

It would seem all reservations would automatically be sent a reminder from Marriott.com

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Email Reminder of Upcoming Reservations
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I think some of the properties have the reservation reminders sent out so that if a person decides to cancel they will do so sooner than later.  This will help the property to sell those potential rooms that may otherwise end up getting canceled.  That's my theory anyway.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I get email reminders about upcoming reservations all the time. Because my travels often involved 3 or 4 different properties over 3 or 4 days, I get a slew of reminder emails about a week in advance. They are all system generated emails, but I don't recall any instances where I didn't get one for an upcoming stay. I can imagine asking this very question if I expected to get a reminder and it didn't show up.

I'm expecting several of these emails in about a week, so I'll note whether any of my upcoming stays are missing and post a follow up here.

bejacob,

Thus my question.  Have a stay upcoming and have yet to get a reminder from the property yet even with international travel I have gotten the reminder.  Just looking for some consistency for some unknown reason!

erc Platinum

IAHFLYR

To me, this is the future (and current state) of travel with Marriott, where, regardless of corporate directive, properties do as they please, which may well be a negotiating point in the mgmt. agreement. Does it really matter what joshm reports back? (remember this week's Point Check In bonus response? gosh, what a shock)

I have found, that as long as I know it's property by property (and it is), then I adapt accordingly. You can bet when something is important, I (nor you or most Insiders) don't allow myself to get hosed and then comfort myself with the feeling that Marriott let me down. You and I are fortunate enough to invest the time, I feel for the road warrior who used to be protected by industry leading customer service SOPs. Hotels that have Virtual Concierge, I engage with, those that don't, if I need a contact, I either call the property or check who is responding to TripAdvisor and start from there. Knock on wood, but in all cases where I have made an actual human contact, I am batting 100% - Marriott associates (be they Marriott or a hotel management firm's employees) almost universally want to serve and as long as the request is within the range of reason, they satisfy the first customer to ask. And, as I wrote on my last trip to San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter, they sometimes even super surprise you with an upgrade to the top floor hospitality suite (I had only requested a nice view of the city).

So, you can wait around for The specified item was not found. to get back to you with some corporate gobblelygook or to the benefit of all Insiders, you can instead invest that intellectual curiosity cooking up some new hot sauce recipes for when we drop in unannounced to the Woodlands home of the Flying Grillmaster - I vote for the latter.

erc,

Yes it does matter as now I want to see what the gooblygook actually is they come up with if any.

The consistency issue to me comes from controlling airplanes, you are not doing a very good job of putting planes on final approach to the runway if you have the second plane 6 NM behind the first, the third 3 NM behind the second, the forth plane 5 NM behind the third and so on and so forth......when you need 3 NM between each.  That lack of consistency is not good and why some folks never got to work the final.  I guess I expect a consistent product from Marriott when I probably shouldn't, particularly with automation and the agreements they have in place from property to property.

It's a tough task to get me to learn isn't it, but you're doing a fine job of teaching and at least your consistent.

Don't you worry, the wheels are always turning and the grill is tied down so it won't fly away.

erc Platinum

I almost missed this. When I said what does it matter what josh competently reports back, I didn't mean as it related to your interest in what the formal policy was, I meant as it related to a going forward usefulness. I'm right there with you in regards to consistently effective performance; however whether Marriott says they have a Bonus Point Check In guarantee or a no blackout guarantee, or any other loosey goosey policy (how about that gobblygook and loosey goosey all in one post) like resort fees and others, it's becoming the old wild west out there when it comes to interpretation of The Policy, which more and more seems to be, well it's this, unless it's not.  The most recent example was when they told josh the New Orleans crazy Christmas rates were a web site error and not a normal practice (when it's been done scores of times).

Makes sense.

As promised a follow-up about email reminders I expected to receive this week. I've gotten 3 emails about my upcoming stays (I expect the 4th tomorrow). All appears to be in order. Each has shown up in the wee hours of the morning exactly 5 days before my scheduled arrival date. I expect the last one to arrive before I wake up tomorrow morning.

Platinum 28 Reviews

My experience has been that Marriott.com has been quite consistent in an advance email reminder.

One reservation reminder is how I found that my account had been "hacked" - so the email advice had an additional benefit.

You can't achieve elite status without being an experienced frequent traveler - consequently (in my memory) I doubt I ever forgot that I was due to satisfy a reservation. (With the exception of the next paragraph)

If Marriott was to provide (universally to all reservations made in your account) an email advising that you have 24 hours to cancel without penalty, that would be the best advantage.  There have been a few occasions where my entire trip was cancelled well in advance of penalties, but I did forgot to cancel a rez or two. (luckily I found that the hotels involved were very accommodating in reversing the charges).

Don't get me wrong, I have yet (key word being yet) to forget a reservation.  The question was more out of curiosity as the virtual concierge has worked well for me in the past.  It would seem to be more time saving for both the customer and associates at the property to us it rather than to call and get shuffled around from person to person before you end up with the concierge if they are on duty.  But if not then oh well, I'll just ring up the old joint and give them our request.

Too funny, I just got an email from the hotel concierge.......what did you do The specified item was not found.?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...