14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2014 10:48 AM by ArthurConanDoyle RSS

Base Points and Reward points?

ArthurConanDoyle Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I've received "base points" but I've never received additional points even after 50 days of staying in the same Marriott Towne Place. When do additional points show up on account balance and what are base points?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Base Points and Reward points?
    vital_essentials Platinum 13 Reviews

If I am correct, base points are the points for the total cost of the bill. Elite points are the bonus you get for your elite level (+50% for platinum level) Bonus points are what you get for other things. For example, you choose the points as your platinum levle gift at check in or you get points due to a customer service issue.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Still somewhat confused but thanks for trying. I was under the impression that I earn 1 point for every $5 I spend on accomodations. I thought the initial 4500 points was a sign -up bonus of some kind. By the time I check out I will have spent 282 nights at the same location.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Here is the Marriott T&C explanation of base points:

Earn Points

1. A Member is eligible to receive Points/Miles for staying at participating Marriott brand hotels or Ritz-Carlton hotels for his/her room and up to two additional rooms. At least one of the rooms must be reserved and registered in the Member's name and the Member must pay for all rooms, which payment arrangement must be requested at time of hotel check-in. The Member must also stay in one of the rooms. To ensure Points are automatically posted to the correct Membership Account, the Member's Rewards Program Membership Number must be present on his/her room folio and up to two additional rooms, as applicable.

2. Charges that do not qualify for Points include taxes applied to the room rate, purchase of Marriott gift certificates or gift cards, purchase of The Ritz-Carlton gift certificates or gift cards, charges for third party-provided goods and services at participating Marriott brand hotels or Ritz-Carlton hotels, and catering or banquet functions charged to the guest room account.

Note that only the room charges and no tax items, etc are available for points.

Thanks. How long does it usually take for points to begin to appear and is it only after checkout (even if I'll be here for 9 months consecutively)?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Normally you'll find the stay added to your account within 72 hours after check-out.  I've had them show up as soon as 48 hours but that is rare.

If you're looking for the nights/points to register in your account for some reason, book the room for half of your stay then re-book it for the rest and have them check you out and then right back in again to the same room.

Everytime the folio is closed the points and elite night credits should show up within 5 to 7 days. That has been my experience. However, there has been times when the points and nights credited appear at a later time, sometimes as long as two weeks later.

The additional points (bonus or elite points) are applied at the same time the base points are entered. they are a separate line item and show as 'elite' or 'bonus' points.

Hope this helps.

FredSHomeNet Platinum 10 Reviews

Sometimes the points show up within 2 days of a stay, but sometimes it can take more than 7 days.  Marriott Rewards asks customers to wait 10 days before using the Marriott website to file a missing stay.

Here is the page that shows the breakdown by hotel of how many base points each hotel offers:

https://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn-points/points.mi

ansaa Member

Hello ArthurConanDoyle,

Great question, some other Insiders have been inquiring about the same thing. Here is another thread with a great response from a member of the Insiders community. They do a great job of explaining the difference between base points and elite points - What is the difference between base and elite points !

Thanks

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...