65 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2014 8:16 AM by Sledchick RSS

January Jams?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Have you all settled into nights and points earning yet? I have not that many of either, based on lack of paid stays, but intend to keep myself occupied writing about what everyone else SHOULD be doing!

Now that I have your attention, what about your projections for the year that has just begun?

1. Overseas Points Travel, where and when?
  2. Domestic Points Travel, ditto
  3. Paid Stays, ditto

And are you bracing for a raise in the categories as I am (when and where are the big questions)?  I see a Cat 10 on the horizon, all  things considered.

Fess up y'all as they say in the Movies.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Scottsdale Paradise Valley
Beckley, West Virginia, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Beckley
  • Re: January Jams?
    marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

Overseas Points Travel:

--None for 2014.

Domestic Points Travel:

--I am doing points for JW Marriott Essex House in New York; I have heard some negative reviews on this property, but I've stayed at most of the US JW Marriotts (Denver is my favorite so far) so I feel like I should give it a try.

--I did have a points stay for the Kentucky Derby, but I canceled it.  Next year though.  It would have been a great deal (15,000 points/night as opposed to $400-$500/night).

--I'm really hoping to lock in a points stay for the Hotel Beaux Arts in Miami.  It is currently a category 6 hotel (though you have to use more points if you want a view) even though the hotel is consistently +$450/night.

Paid Stay:

--I'm not sure if I'm going to have many interesting properties here, but I am planning on paid stays at Renaissance Chicago (on Wacker) and the Renaissance Toronto.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Nothing planned for overseas this year.

Domestically, I'm eager to begin my county collecting travels as soon as the weather warms up. Actually, my first trip is in a couple weeks, so I may still face some cold weather even as I head south.

Using a free cat 1-5 cert to stay a the SHS Chattanooga Downtown/Cameron Harbor

Paid stays at CY Decatur, AL; FFI Oxford, AL; and FFI Cookeville, TN as I wind my way through middle Tennessee and northern Alabama.

Also on the horizon is a smiliar trip to North Carolina in early April. Nothing booked yet, but likely will use another cat 1-5 cert to stay in Charlotte (likely Renaissance Charlotte Suites). Probably paid stays at FFI Christiansburg, VA; CY Wilmington (new property); and either FFI or CY Beckley, WV

After that, here are the likely destinations. Minneapolis in June, Michigan in July, upstate NY in August, southern Illinois in October, and D.C. in early November.

Mixture of paid and points/certs stays throughout the year which might adjust based on MegaBonus promotions available at the time.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Re: your Beckley, WV, stay.  The CY is a newer property and has an indoor pool.  Unless the FI has been rennovated within the last year, it was getting rather worn last time we were there.  Good luck on your quest and stay safe.

Good to know. I'm still working on my route for this trip, so I'll have to see where I end up. Insiders have recommended both Beckley properties, so I'll have to do a little research.

Trade off. CY has the Bistro (which in general I am avoiding) and FFI has breakfast included. I've got a couple months to decide so I may solicit additional comments elsewhere in this forum.

Regardless, I appreciate the tip bpelican.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

bejacob,

Enjoy Beckley,

Just try not to fly into there, it is a "Scary landing"

I'll be driving, jerrycoin. I expect Beckley to be my last overnight stop on the way home from Wilmington and Charlotte. I've covered most of WV already (after this trip I'll just have the eastern panhandle to go), so this trip will be be about seeing part of NC (and if all goes well, the last 6 counties I need in the central northern part of SC). Should be fun and hopefully reasonably warm by early April.

Beckley has an AP?

bpelican,

I have flown into Beckley a few times. 

BTW, if you get to Bluefield, WV, let me know.  I can introduce you to someone who knows that part of the country very well.

Enjoy "West By-God"!

Location Brand Hotel
                Beckley, West Virginia, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Beckley
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

IAHFLYR,

Sounds like a great plan for 2014!

You have a wonderful year with your travels and now I will get a "Plan" together like yours and let you know.  Sure would like to get to Houston, and say hello in person!

That would be wonderful Jerry, but you know it's time to start grilling again!

we never stopped grilling out here in the edge of the continent.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I have bought some property in Arizona, bracing for the the BIG ONE to come along and make my property beach front!  I do not worry about category changes, as stuff happens and it is out of my control.  I already have 10 nights in this year (paid), and would anticipate somewhere around 125 for the year.  Some stays at LA LIVE, perhaps a dozen stays in NYC, shared between Renaissance Hotel 57 and Marriott's Essex House, Perhaps 2-4 stays in Boston at Marriott Long Wharf, 4-6 stays in Dallas, shared between Marriott Hotel at LEGACY and the Ritz Carlton downtown.  And the list goes on.

Perhaps 1-2 International trips.  One to Europe, one to the far East.

Points Stays:

several to the Austin Renaissance at the Arboretum.  First grandchild coming in early summer…...

a few stays at the WORTHINGTON HOTEL in Ft Worth   -  visiting Daughter #2.

Pinehurst North Carolina for the US OPEN.

Finally, a few trips TBD with just me and my wife…..

This will be another busy year for SHOEMAN

shoeman1000,

You dog you, Pinehurst.....love that place and for the U.S. Open even better. 

Congratulations on the upcoming Grandchild.

thanks!  we are very excited about the grandchild and I am very excited about Pinhurst.  Stayed there last Christmas and looking forward to the US Open.  Hoping Lefty finally gets one!

Amen to Lefty grabbing it this year for sure, the sight where it was played just before the birth of their first daughter.

I also hope that Lefty rises to the occasion.

I haven't either, grilled last evening after our sleet and freezing rain yesterday.  Just wanted to let Jerry know he to revive his grilling threads soon.

We have Propane BTW and the price has not spiked YET

LOL, natural gas is the only way, can't wait to see the gas bill this month.

We use it to dry our corn around here (just kidding).  It's gonna rain they say tonight or tomorrow so I have told the gardeners to go easy on the watering and bush detailing today.

Yup, natural gas for me too.  propane is a pain….

We could hook ours up to NG but I have been slow to accept change, except at coffee shops.

very good line!  If only I could remember it…….

Here's a hint: carry a small card with it on there, that's what I do.

IAHFLYR,

One step ahead of you!

Am in Scottsdale, AZ and grilled some swordfish last night at The RI, Paradise Valley.  Nice dish, and wonderful weather!

Will report on the weeks activity soon!  It's been a good one!

You sure are one step ahead, just don't fall a step behind.

Make sure to go to the TPC and enjoy some of the PGA Tour stop this week.

IAHFLYR,

There are a lot of golfing fans, and many others in the area!  They raised the prices from $25 to $30 to get into the golf tourney, but it does sound like fun.  No, I won't go, but the weather is wonderful and this RI, is "Perfect" for all of my needs!

Take care, and I need to get my "List" together for the year!

Tell em I sent you and see if that makes a difference?

anadyr,

It didn't work, so I just had them bill you!

THANKS!

(Just kidding)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Enjoy the weather I am heading home on plane now to Phoenix. By the way they are expecting 200k people at open Saturday

jerryl,

Have a great time!

Will soon be posting some wonderful places to shop/dine in Scottsdale.

If you are staying here and have time to say "Hello", please do.  This is a wonderful property!

Location Brand Hotel
                          Scottsdale, Arizona, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Scottsdale Paradise Valley

VEry cool

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

This is not my year for travel.  WDC end of March and London end of April are both unofficially scrapped.

A number of trips to Idaho and Tennessee to see kids and grandkids (#3 arrives late May), along with biweekly trips to San Diego to see the parents.  No hotels.  All travel by air.

Late February - Seattle Marriott Waterfront - cash (advanced purchase)

August - MVCI Newport Coast (family time at the folks timeshare)

Late Oct/Early Nov - Either Honolulu, Boston or WDC.  Free flight must be booked by 1/31 and I still haven't decided which city to visit.  Thoughts, anyone?  If Honolulu or Boston, I'll use points.  If WDC, I'll pay cash for a good rate and use Cat. 5 certs (unless the Key Bridge Marriott jumps up another category.  Anyone care to venture a wager on that?)

I have a handful of Cat. 5 certs that will expire by around August, and you can bet I'll put them to good use.  Maybe another Giants game at AT&T Park, maybe a weekend out in Anadyr territory or Paso Wine Country.  If.  The hotels categories don't rise.

By this time next year, I should be a silver elite member with almost a million still unused (and no doubt deflated) points.  I'm honestly not hoarding.  I just can't use them right now.  Not my time.  Last year was cool though and I'll think on that whenever I find myself pining for far away places.

PLUTO77

just don't allow that # to rise to high.  they will continue to be deflated, plus, life is too short.  enjoy!

shoeman,

Great advice, and that is what I am sure doing!

Thanks, Shoeman.  I will heed your advice to the best of my ability.  Also, congratulations on becoming grandparents soon.  I'm very happy for you.

thanks Pluto

I hope I am a better grandparent than father. 

Shoe,

Hopefully we're all better grandparents than we were parents.

Pluto

thaks!

I think parents are naturally better grandparents.  They can't help themselves!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Completed trips to Boston and Aruba this month. Paid in BOS and points, comp, and paid stay in Aruba.

Boston again and Naples in Feb. Unsure of pay or point. Depends on deals available.

Newport Coast Villas in May...INDY in May for my 34th 500. Paid stay at the JW downtown...the best Marriott property (for service and staff) I've ever stayed at.

West Coast to San Fran and Seattle in June. Paid stays most likely.

Probably Nantucket in July but no Marriott there. Probably at the White Elephant.   Leading Nantucket Hotels - The White Elephant

Points stays in August at the Grand Flora in Rome, The Boscolo in Venice and the AC in Florence.

Most likely another West Coast junket in October...then the Caribbean in November in St. Maarten... no Marriott property there.

Happy Travels to  all!

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Overseas -- Ha!  We've been in a financial bind for almost 2 years (paying mortgages on 2 residences, one that we don't even live in) so my thought of taking the kid to Italy or London this summer have been scrapped again.  For someone that loves to travel, this is getting harder and harder to take!  I keep telling myself it's just a temporary situation and my luggage will see European daylight once again.

Domestic Points -- I'm toying with the idea of Ottawa for 5 nights in the summer (love the 5th night free deal).  It counts as getting out of the country but it's driving distance for us.  And I'm a pretty frugal traveler when it comes to spending money on myself!  And I still have a couple of e-certificates to use somewhere...

Paid Stays -- March in North Conway, NH (hockey tournament state finals)

April -- 1 week at Marriott Fairway Villas in Absecon NJ as our family's beachside condo will be under serious renovation and not available

October -- Columbus Day weekend in Manchester, NH (working the New Hampshire Snowmobile Association Grass Drags & Water Crossing, over 30,000 people attending)

So you see, I live through everyone else's travels!  Sounds like some great itineraries out there.

Sledchick,

Are you familiar with Ottawa?

Wonderful place, you will have a wonderful time.  Do think that the "2nd home" market will get much, much worse!

No, jerrycoin, I've never been but always wanted to go to Ottawa.  From internet browsings, I think we would enjoy ourselves immensely.  I made a list of placed that we'd like to cover and of course it would take more time than we have -- but that's always fun, deciding what we would like to do most.  Do you have a favorite restaurant there that serves up medicine?

The property in question has been for sale 19 months; we had to move 5 miles away to get into a different school system so it's by no means a vacation home.  But it was worth it, as my son is a "smart cookie" and wasn't getting what he needs.  Now he is and I can't put a price on that!

Sledchick,

Ottawa is a "Classy town"!  Having stayed at wonderful Marriott properties, my favorite is the CY!  Likewise, the "Social" is my favorite place to dine, a short walk from the hotel.  Likewise, "The Keg" is another wonderful place to dine, and it is across the street from the hotel.

If you would like a nice tour of the Canadian Mint, (I can't get you into the gold vault". let me know, and I can arrange it for your family!  They are wonderful in Ottawa, and it is truly a great place to visit.  Just let me know!  Here's one of my favorite photos in the "Gold Vault"!

PTDC0009.JPG

Those bars of gold weigh 400oz each!  There were so many you could not count.  This is before you get to the "Real Gold".  I will confess few people have ever been in "Canada's Fort Knox", but I have!

Let me know if you need any help in Ottawa, I will try to help!

jerrycoin you continue to amaze!!  Great picture.

IAHFLYR,

You are so kind! 

I have been so lucky to do a lot of things, but am so appreciative of them.

Thank-you, for your comments!  Will look forward to our "Get together" in Houston!

You betchya.  I think we've got your weather over the last few months, yet another cold damp day so no golf, but I can see a grill in my future this evening!

Oh, jerrycoin, I think you just sealed the Ottawa deal!  Thank you for your generous offer of setting up a tour; you are too kind.  We would love to do that!  I will let you know when I have booked the trip.  We have a snow day here in NH and I was showing my son the Ottawa hotels on the Marriott website.  My thought a few weeks ago was the Ottawa Marriott Hotel because of the CL and my son loved the photos.  But the CY Downtown looks nice too, and they are both Category 4 so great for saving points.  The RI is Cat 5 but I think the Cat 4 hotels are comparable and all in the same area so now it's just deciding one over the other.  Since you've stayed in them all, any advantage of the Marriott Hotel over the CY (besides access to free food)?  This photo is great!  I appreciate your willingness to reach out and start this conversation; it helps me immensely.

sledchick,

I like the CY location the best!

You have a wonderful place to dine just across the street, "The Keg", and "The Social" is also within walking distance.  An indoor shopping center is close, and The Canadian Mint is also an easy walk!  The area is filled with "Outdoor Markets" (In Season), so everything is pretty close.

Let me know when you are going and I will arrange the Canadian Mint tour for you!

Thank you, JC.  I appreciate it.  Will be in touch when things are firmed up.

sledchick,

Just let me know!

In the meantime, be careful in this weather, you have more "Bad weather" headed your way!

But we like snow here!  And we're ready for it as it's never a surprise (like tornados).  Bring it on and send the tourists our way to play in the winter wonderland!

sledchick.

I hope we can send you "All the snow" for the rest of the Winter!

Give me Arizona!

We would love to take all your snow, JC!  And New York's.  And Connecticut's.  And New Jersey's.  Etc.!  Just got back from skiing with the school PE program (yes, we do that here in northern New England) and the conditions are fantastic.  Don't get me wrong, I love Florida in February and March (everyone needs a break, right?) but we need to make the best of it up here.  A little of your "medicine" helps to pass the time in the evenings...

Sledchick,

Yes, a little "Medicine" really helps in Winter!  I take a little "Dose" orally, and can go outside and "Breathe on the windshield,

it melts the ice"!

Stay warm!

While reading this, I was having a dose myself to warm up before we hit the ice rink!  The kid has a home game at 8 p.m. and that multi-purpose medicine works wonders on windshields and hockey arena glass.  BTW, it was a chilled white.    It will be down to around 5 degrees tonight so I needed it to stay warm as you advised!

Sledchick,

Yes a little "Anti Freeze" is what my Dr. recommends!  At 5 degrees, it is a "Must"!

I sure hope (In the Summer or Fall), we can get back to Concord, NH!  We all can get together!

Take care, and remember to do what my Dr. "Demands", "Take your medicine!

The anti-freeze clears up many issues and according to a often missed poll, anti-freeze has even been shown to eliminate the need for late night TV as well.

I would absolutely love to meet you two here in the Granite State whenever you can manage it, even if it's a "drive by" to another destination!  It will be much colder here this evening, possibly 10 to 12 below zero.  I will comply with your doctor's demands!

Sledchick,

Would love to get back to NH!

BTW, the drive to Ottawa from there is very pretty and pretty easy.  You may want to consider a night along the way in Montreal.

Please do take my Dr's recommendations while you have weather like you are getting now!

JC- Anytime, and I mean anytime, it would be a pleasure to meet you and the Mrs.  Don't you need to get to Littleton Coin or do they have a direct pigeon carrier to your place?  Just kidding!

Yes, Ottawa door to door would be about 5 hours for us, an easy trip for sure.

I'm happy to report that my wine tasting group will be coming over tomorrow for our monthly meeting (doctor appointment?).  This will help us get through this awfully cold weather!

Sledchick,

I know IAHFLYR, and myself know you are being "Medically taken care of with your Medical group" 

Will get you detailed info on Ottawa, and look forward to all of us relaxing in NH, preferably in the Fall!

Thanks, jerrycoin!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...