11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2014 1:53 PM by iahflyr RSS

Facial Recognition Irony

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Mrs A and I are planning a trip (NFI) to an undisclosed location and need to have our passports renewed, since in the last few years they have been used for Canada only.  So, off to COSTCO we went for the 2X2 photos required with the renewal application. The COSTCO photog. warned us NOT to smile or show any teeth during the shoot, since people have had their photos rejected by State Department allegedly for just that--being happy!

Facial Recognition technology is something I actually know something about, having worked on a project featuring that at SRI.

So be warned: no smiling or teeth showing on passports!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Facial Recognition Irony
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Your right and that's same with mug shots . I also worked in identity management business for many years. So anadyr get an extra couple in case you need them for other reasons   Passport photos get matched as part of visa program also

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Yes they do and COSTCO gives you four for the same price. When I traveled on "different color" passports in  the past (hint, not tourist) it was always interesting to note that the folks at Immigration never looked at the photo, assuming it was fake!

Yes we produced most of states drivers licenses and that's another interesting photo opportunity for matching

Do all states now have photos on DLs?  It used to be that some did not.

Most do and you can't get on plane without a photo ID  we had 45 states and I am not sure but I think they all had by the time I left a couple of years ago and with de- duplicating software they would find a lot of  multiple licenses using facial recognition 

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Good info to know. My passport expires in a few months so it's time for me to renew as well.

I'll try to smile without showing my teeth.

Well that didn't work. Maybe I'll go for this look instead.

Better?

Yes somber is best according to the Costcoians.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Good info as we have to renew soon also.  Thanks for posting.

ansaa Member

Thanks for the heads up, anadyr. Good thing I do not have to get my Passport renewed anytime soon. Unfortunately, I do not have the best 'no-teeth' look, I much rather prefer when I smile big!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'm in for the double whammy this year. Both my passport and driver's license expire this year. Can't remember the last time that has happened (if ever).

I better start practicing my plain face now.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Also do not wear a light colored shirt as they won't take your picture.  Or maybe that was for the International Driving Permit......hmmmm nope I believe it was the Passport picture.

ansaa and bejacob  all the photos look like mug shots regardless, so just frown large.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...