8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2014 7:01 PM by bpelican RSS

By Popular Demand: What is The Best Thing About Your Hometown?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

What is the nicest thing you can say about where you live or were born?

I was born in a suburb of Pittsburgh, the Steel City, long ago (middle of the last century in fact) in the final six months of WWII.

Our little town, called Brentwood Borough, was a homogenous place, everyone knew everyone, the Catholic Church was the anchor for lots of folks, husbands went to work, wives stayed home to keep house and watch the kids.  Our two story house was yellow brick, had an unpaved street, and the neighborhood was full of kids my age. We all did things together, sometimes as friends, sometimes as competitors. My Dad was in the dairy business (not milking cows but selling their products), did not have a car at first due to rationing. Mom was not working for the British Air Commission, where she had been since 1940, due to my arrival.

We walked over three quarters of a mile to schools, up a hill and then back down. Neighbors helped neighbors, doors were always unlocked, car keys left always in the ignition of parked cars, and police were there to lean against their squad cars, not much more. 

My high school class was very small, all white, mostly Protestant, and filled with a variety of characters who've gone on to live interesting lives.  Almost all the guys (myself included) did time in the military, none of us ended up in jail (that I know of), and everyone has been married (at least once) in the last 50 years. In school we were all equal, no one was better than anyone else, richer, but some where better looking however!

So what I liked best about my hometown was that there I had a good childhood in a setting that even Donna Reed and Beaver Cleaver would have envied, one filled with good memories, excellent adventures, and most of all, a feeling of safety and comfort, things long gone for me and many others.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: By Popular Demand: What is The Best Thing About Your Hometown?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Cardinal Baseball and Anheuser Busch…….

St Louis, Mo.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

My hometown is where my son was raised and is still his hometown living about one mile from us with his wife.  I was fortunate enough and am quite grateful to have been able to watch all his little league baseball games, basketball games in summer leagues, junior high and high school and follow him on his golf adventures in Jr. Golf Programs as well as the high school golf team....so for me that is THE BEST.

It is also nice to have a class act such as J.J. Watt in Houston.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Again...Nebraska...The Good Life.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Born in Flushing, Queens, NYC.  Relocated to Marlboro, NY, when a toddler, so view this as my home town.  Located 70 miles north of NYC on the Hudson River in fruit farm country.  What I loved the most about my home town was the simplicity, a less complicated, less stressful, way of life. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...