13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2014 7:16 PM by jakeal RSS

Any updates/thoughts on AC by Marriott brand coming to US?

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

According to this article (AC Hotels by Marriott Will Open in The U.S. (And With Free WiFi Too!) || HotelChatter) Marriott announced back in June 2013 that they would expand the AC by Marriott brand, currently in Europe only, to the US.  The article states, "There's no first location set yet for AC Hotels by Marriott but King said they hope to open the first one sometime in 2014."

Has anyone heard anything about where the first location will be?  Does a 2014 opening still look promising?

Has anyone stayed at one of these properties in Europe?  What can we expect from this brand in the US?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
United States
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
  • Re: Any updates/thoughts on AC by Marriott brand coming to US?
    foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

My first thought would be "What is an 'unusual bath experience'?"

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Morning J,

An interesting question about an intriguing prospect.

I've stayed in several ACs in Spain and Italy. A few point that you might want to factor in to your final judgement:

1. In their original format, ACs were intended to attract the younger, business-oriented, "modern-in-outlook" essentially urban, market segment. The tourist market was incidental - which is one of the factors that underpins some of the criticisms voiced here and elsewhere since the AC/Marriott joint venture kicked off. One obvious question is: what market segment does Marriott intend to position the US-type AC to attract.

2. ACs are not all the same. The majority in Spain are located in cities, with easy access to train, plane or sea communication centres; this type rarely, if ever, provides a Concierge Lounge; bars and restaurants are limited in scope; exercise facilities are similarly small-scale. The buildings tend to be relatively recent constructions, the rooms distinctly "cool" in style, with blacks and greys the predominant colours, and glass/laminates the main materials. And, as mentioned, bathing arrangements tend towards relatively high levels of transparency.  However, the minority differ, being older buildings, with less strikingly modern appearances. A few of these have been added to other Marriott brands, notably Autograph.

3. Elite membership also attracts different returns. In general, upgrades are available - but the number/proportion of higher category rooms is significantly lower. In Spain, I've noticed that free breakfasts are the exception, whereas in Italy they seem to be the norm.

In summary, it would seem that the AC model would offer Marriott an alternative, fairly distinctive product offer  in the USA - but, initially at least, its application might be limited to East and West coast, city locations.

Best wishes,

A

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

tfreeman98 thanks for catching that.  Definitely a big difference.  I edited my post.

ansaa Member

Hi jakeal,

merb and I did some research and we found a few answers for you. Marriott is expecting the first AC Hotels by Marriott property to open in the U.S. towards the end of the year. There are a handful of properties currently undergoing construction, but it is hard for us to determine which location will be completed first. Opening is 2014 is definitely still promising! Hope this gives you some more clarity.