61 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2014 10:52 AM by bejacob RSS

Super Bowl Sunday

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Superbowl Sunday : From a Marine Corps Colonel in Afghanistan:

"So with all the kindness I can muster, I give this one piece of advice to the next pop star who is asked to sing the national anthem at a sporting event: save the vocal gymnastics and the physical gyrations for your concerts. Just sing this song the way you were taught to sing it in kindergarten - straight up, no styling. "Sing it with the constant awareness that there are soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines watching you from bases and outposts all over the world. Don't make them cringe with your self-centered ego gratification.

Sing it as if you are standing before a row of 86-year-old WWII vets wearing their Purple Hearts, Silver Stars and flag pins on their cardigans and you want them to be proud of you for honoring them and the country they love - not because you want them to think you are a superstar musician. They could see that from your costume, makeup and your entourage. Sing 'The Star Spangled Banner' with the courtesy and humility that tells the audience that it is about America , not you.

And please remember,Francis Scott Key does not need any help."

Semper Fi !

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Super Bowl Sunday
    bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Thank you for posting this.  It says it all and should be adhered to by anyone who is honored by being asked to sing the Anthem.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks, send by a Marine Corps friend!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Amen to Semper Fi!

I cannot wait to hear the Opera singer (sorry forgot her name) belt out the Star Spangled Banner, it will certainly have those Military Forces in focus and will also bring a tear to my eye I'm sure.

It will honor all our Military Personnel past, present and future.....exactly what Francis Scott Key had in mind.

I think her name is Renee Fleming.  She should do an excellent job.

Hope so

Let's remember all who served and are serving--we can do no less than that.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I couldn't agree more. I can't stand those who when asked to sing our National Anthem start with all the voice inflections that add absolutely nothing to the song. They just ruin it.

so true, Cher comes to mind in her 1999 rendition.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Sometimes instrumental versions of the anthem work just fine. The solo trumpet rendition delivered by Dr. Jesse McGuire before the Panthers-49ers divisional playoff was absolutely awe-inspiring. Doc Severinsen in his prime would have been proud to hit a couple of those notes.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Agree with all of you!

No need to have a "Ridiculous Rendition"! (AKA: Rosanne Barr, etc)

BTW, will Justin Bieber be extradited?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Probably not, but we can always hope. Does Canada really want him back?

Eh?

bejacob,

It sure doesn't look like it!

It looks like he was "Arrested" upon arriving back in Toronto.  The charge it looks like "Assault on a Limo Driver".  Wonder if that could have been Jim Carrey in "Dumb and Dumber"?

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I'll be watching the game!

I may not watch anything but halftime!

THAT'S SAD……  should be a GREAT game.  #1 offense vs the #1 defense.  Halftime is probably the only thing I will not watch….  over the years they have been mostly disappointing.

shoeman,

Same here!  There may be a "Uniform malfunction" again.  Never saw that, nor any SB half-time!

Please enjoy the game, and hope it warms up for you!

Jerry

thanks!  we got an inch of snow and schools will be closed for the 3rd straight day tomorrow.   wild.

I love  pro football and will totally enjoy the game.  we have hotdogs, chips, dip, and medicinal liquids…..

shoeman,

Take care!  Better weather is on the way!

I agree shoeman1000.  You wonder what audience these Super Bowl halftime performers are trying to reach.

Well, clearly they are reaching out to Anadyr and he is welcoming them with open-arms……...

Bruno Mars may be an atypical half time show that has a broader appeal.  We'll see. 

bpelican,

I must be living on "Another Planet", I have never heard of Bruno Mars?

Actually he has a good voice

I didn't either until they announced he was performing at the Super Bowl halftime show.  Then I saw him on the Grammies last week (wife insisted we watch).

Your verdict was?

I thought he was an OK singer and will be watching the half time show.

erc Platinum

I think you hit right on the head bpelican. Broadcast worldwide, the halftime show is always the most watched musical event of the year (last year more than 110 million). I've seen Mars (28 yrs. old) several times on tv (SNL he performed in sketches also) and he seems to be not only talented, but a genuinely nice guy (like a Justin Timberlake). He certainly takes the assignment seriously and as the honor that it is - so that in itself may lead to an entertaining performance from a respectful, young artist (we've had respectful and we've had young, but I question whether we've had both).

The NFL stated they chose someone on the upswing of their career this year in attempts to capture the younger crowd (like Marriott) but a bit unlike Marriott, the NFL heavily emphasized they want to capture the broadest audience possible from 18-68 and beyond, so I'm tuning in to see the future, maybe I'll even tweet my approval .

Wait....did erc actually write "tweet", my Neanderthal hero?    Putting Mars in the same category as Justin Timberlake is enough for me to watch the halftime show, unlike this other Justin we have running around and maybe getting deported back to Canada (great idea), Justin T. is a true gentleman and an even better golfer.

So we now have good weather forecast and the two teams will hopefully live up to their seasons accomplishments by providing us with a super game.

Any Insiders ever attended the actual game itself or the week festivities leading up to the game?  Sure does bring a ton of monies into the community and can't wait to have it return to Houston in 2017, we may actually have reassembled a team in this town by that time.

Yup....attended the festivities and the game at Super Bowl XXIV as a guest of the NFL. Got to a lot of festivities that most folks can't get into (my wife's cousin was a big wig in the NFL). Best part (other than the game because I was a big 49ers/Joe Montana fan) was an NFL Gala with Georgia Frontierre (Rams owner), Warren Moon and Boomer Esiason, both NFL QB's, Al LaCosale (Raiders Al Davis right hand man) and a CBS Broadcaster that we were seated with for dinner and the festivities. They were all so gracious and a lot of fun. Attended many NFL events inside the lines (what many don't know is that folks can purchase tix for 'NFL' events but there is a side room where all those folks have to stay and only NFL carded folks get into the real NFL event room. It truly was, for us anyway, the only way to go to a Super Bowl. Fantastic (NFL) seats and a great way to see all the festivities since we were given tix to the 'best' galas and events.

Couldn't have said it better IAHFLYR.  As erc puts Bruno in the same category as Justin T, halftime will be worth a watch.  Looking forward to watching a great game with IMO the two best teams going at each other.

IAHFLYER

I did attend a SB, back in 1999 (I think).  It was my beloved Cowboys vs the hated Steelers.  Of course, the Cowboys were victorious!  The game was held at SunDevil Stadium in Scottsdale, Arizona.  We flew in the morning of the game via chartered jet, outside brunch, a little people-watching, then walked to the stadium mid afternoon to take in the sights.   My wife and I, along with my biggest client were guests of the Chicago Bears ownership and had seats on the 40 yard line, about half way up the lower level.  Unfortunately, the halftime show was the least memorable of the days events.  Diana Ross was helicoptered in to the 50 years line, then she did her best, but her best was long gone by then.  Oh well, as I said in my 2nd sentence, my Beloved Cowboys kicked butt and the SB experience is one I will never forget.

shoeman

Great way to go Shoeman! Glad you got to see your Cowboys win!

Thanks tef!  I forgot to mention that we had the charter jet whisk us away after the game and were home by midnight.  Back then, they played the game a bit earlier in the day than they do now.  What a fun-filled day that was!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I will check the like box of any post that says Cowboys Win!

tfreeman98 Platinum 13 Reviews

That would have been SB *** (1995 season, January 1996).  I went to the next two, SB XXXI (GB over NE in New Orleans) and SB XXXII (DEN over GB in San Diego).

tfreeman98

so now that you have exposed my senility……….

wow, NO and San Diego are two great locations.  I noted GB played in both, was that the reason for attending?

tfreeman98 Platinum 13 Reviews

That was it!  Came close to going to SB XLV, too, but it just didn't work out.  We are fans, shareholders, season ticket holders, I write a Packers blog, the whole works. 

The funny thing is that your estimate of 1999 was a lot closer than I thought.  I was thinking of the other Cowboys - Stillers Super Bowl, after the 1978 season.  That was why I went to look it up, thinking you were way off.  But I forgot that they had played much more recently.  I'm sure you liked the second one better than the first.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Bruno Mars did an awesome job. What a hard working and classy performance.  Sure could've done without the Red Hot Chili Peppers though.

I agree totally.  Bruno was fine, but those Chili Peppers left me cold!

I actually don't care about the game, sorry.  I am a sore loser for sure, and it's OK, I am seeking treatment

anadyr,

Your "Psych Ward room will be next to mine"! 

Hope we get an upgrade, a good CL, and a comped breakfast!

Yes of course

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Yes, a great game Shoeman!  I have no favorite...I really like both qb's.  And half time show is a waste of time.

I too have no Idea who the Halftime person is. Never heard of Bruno Mars.  Perhaps someone that watches halftime can post a report…...

I will under the Celeb tab.

tef6178 & shoeman1000,

Those sound like fantastic trips and you're very fortunate to have had the chances to enjoy them.  Having a chance to rub elbows with gracious and down to earth people who have been in the spotlight is always fun, even if to just listen to their stories. 

I don't care what team you are backing for the game, you have to love Boeing!

Seahawks 747 flies number 12 pattern over Washington state - CSMonitor.com

Another reason why "if it ain't Boeing, I'm not going" is my motto for flying......unless of course some airline changes aircraft on me.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Okay, I'll post my pic here too.

Seahawks Superbowl 2014.png

Go Seahawks!

pluto

Great Pic……  wrong side of history (I hope)…….

Seahawks can be grounded, but Broncos are always grounded.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

That could also be looked as, that Broncos never get off the ground, but Seahawks can   I have to our course root for our Seahawks, although you can't help but admire and respect Peyton Manning!

I guess brother Eli is currently getting some heat so Peyton might have to sit him down and have the talk!

Congrats tryt53, you got it right!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

no matter who plays in the Super Bowl, I root for the Clydesdales...go Bud!

And the Puppies (stars of this year's Bud ads)

Okay, honestly did anyone see that score coming......anyone?  WOW

Only the people in Seatlle

No.  From the time that snap from center went over Manning's head Denver was "snake bit," as we used to say.  Seattle proceeded to execute their normal game plan and Denver basically folded.  Or maybe it was the botched coin flip.  Or maybe Denver shouldn't have changed hotels the night before the game.   Maybe the NYC scene was too distracting.  Or maybe Seattle just was much better than anyone thought they were, especially with their "12th man."  One thing's for sure, fans will be talking about this one for a long, long time!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Defense wins championships. That was the most dominating defensive display since the Ravens throttled the Giants in Super Bowl XXXV, 34-7. Peyton looked rattled the whole night--starting with the very first snap. With their average age of 26.5 years old, it will be interesting to see if Pete Carroll can keep the the Seahawks' heads from outgrowing their helmets. If he can, they could be a power for a long time.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'm pretty sure everyone expected a close game. The spread was 2 or 3 points. Whatever the reason, whatever the analysis, this was not the game anyone predicted.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...