7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2014 9:10 PM by paulaw RSS

Turn, Turn, Turn

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Pete Seeger recently died at age 94.  His songs Turn, Turn, Turn and others, are the iconic music of the folk revival of the 1960s, and for me will always be haunting melodies.

He wrote or covered other songs, though political in nature, taking a side in a turbulent time, spoke of hope and longing in a country splitting apart and made a welcome change from the psychedelic tunes cramming the top 40.

RIP Pete, there is a time, turn, turn, turn, as your song based on a biblical verse, goes.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Turn, Turn, Turn
    77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

anadyr,

Pete Seeger did take a side, spoke his mind when his opinions were not always welcomed, understood or appreciated. Whether one agreed or disagreed, I feel his songs were at least expressing something raw, or truthful or longing, as you say. The poignancy and sentiment in "Where Have All The Flowers Gone", "Oh, had I Golden Thread" & "We Shall Not Be Moved" are timeless.

Thanks for posting a nod in recognition of him and his contributions.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

He was a man of honor, even though in his youth he loved Stalin, but later admitted that he was a fool to do so.  His words and music are still there, still enhancing my life and that of many others. 

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

I saw  Don McLean perform during his "Miss American Pie" heyday. He was one of the original crew members on Seeger's first Hudson River clean-up cruise on the sloop Clearwater. He said something to the effect that Seeger had taught him not only how to perform but also why he should. His final encore, which he dedicated to Seeger, was a beautiful rendition of "Where have all the flowers gone?"

Wa

What I meant to say was, what a great memory.  I saw Jerry Jeff Walker many many years ago and struck by the Seeger influences he had gotten over the years.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

An aside re "American Pie". I watched an interview where McLean was asked about the true meaning of American Pie. He said "It means I never have to work again".

paulaw Member

RIP Pete.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...