8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2014 11:59 PM by jakeal RSS

Marriott to Expand in Africa

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am not sure how many insiders read Bill Marriott's blog, but just today his post was about Marriott's upcoming acquisition of a South African hotel chain. According to the post, "When the deal is complete in April, we will be the largest hotel company in Africa." 

This is welcome news being that Cape Town is on my travel wish list.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
South Africa
  • Re: Marriott to Expand in Africa
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Cape Town was one of my favorite cities of all time. The vibe is fantastic. Johannesburg was just another big city, but Cape Town was something special.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I have never been to Cape Town.  I had planned to go to Africa when Bengazi happened and I canceled and lost money.  I am not sure if I will ever get there but I keep getting tempted.  The question is: did you feel safe since Cape Town is the #3 city in the world for violent crime?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

californian,  Yes, I felt safe. The only thing that felt a bit uncomfortable was the amount of panhandlers. There were, what seemed to be, a lot of younger (20's) ladies that would walk right up to you and ask for money. If you engaged in conversation, they tended to get more aggressive with their requests. Besides that, the city, the shops, the beaches, the restaurants and pubs..everything else, was excellent.

It is encouraging to hear good things about a place that I would like to see.  How long did you spend there and what did you see as far as sightseeing?  Did you go on Safari?

ansaa Member

Thanks for sharing Mr. Marriott’s blog with the Insiders community, jakeal. When are you planning to visit Cape Town? I am hoping to go to Africa within this year as well!

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

ansaa I am looking at 2015 for a Cape Town trip and hopefully by that time Marriott rewards members will earn points for stays at the Protea brand. 

2015 might be good.  I understand that the hotels need updating.  Once Marriott takes over, it should be fairly soon.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Thanks for the information about the hotels needing updating, californian.  I do hope that as more information becomes available about the acquisition, it is shared via the MRI site.