12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2014 4:06 PM by nimblethunder RSS

Using Megabonus certificates

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I created a reservation yesterday wanting to use some new CAT 5 certs that were placed into my account as a result of the last Megabonus. Before completing the reservation I carefully read the following page from the Marriott website on how to apply the cert to the reservation. According to what is written, I should have been asked if I wanted to apply unused certificates to the reservation (I was already signed into my account) but when I went to complete the transaction the system simply deducted the points from my account - no questions asked.

Is there a trick to doing this that isn't so obvious?

www.marriott.com/rewards/unusedCertificatesPopUp.mi

Bonus.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Using Megabonus certificates
    patrish Platinum 5 Reviews

You're going to have to call Marriott Rewards Customer Service and let them know that you want to use you certificate(s) and not points for that reservation.  They'll fix it.  I've hade that happen in the past.  Call 1-800-450-4442.  Get through the prompts to speak to a real person.  A little annoying but that should work out fine.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

mikieg

I've always had good luck making the reservation as if I was using points and then just before the final step, the Marriott screem informs me I have an e-certificate and offers to use it (it's actually by default on my grid, meaning sometimes when I'm reserving a Category less than the certificate I have to actually bypass it). If you want to avoid dealing with the robot (which like patrish writes you always bypass by saying "agent"), you might try this technique and if successful, cancel the previous one made with points.  Good luck.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I've had mixed results. When things go right, I get the same option erc mentioned and can attach a certificate. I just did this for an upcoming trip.

I wasn't able to do it on a recent trip to England and had to call to get my certificates attached to the reservation. That option is almost always fairly quick. I discovered that points were deducted from my account and ended up cancelling the reservation. It took a day or so for the points to show up back in my account.

In general, if I can't figure something out after a couple attempts, I call customer service.

Good luck.

patrish Platinum 5 Reviews

I Used my certificates in Munich  so that is Why I probably didn't get the prompt to use my certificates.  Maybe when using certificates somewhere other than the US the prompt doesn't show up.

ansaa Member

mikiegfla – we appreciate you reaching out to us. Let me pass this information along to our customer service team so they can help assist you better! Do you have a method of contact that works best for you? Thanks!

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

mikiegfla I just used the process you describe to reserve a one night stay in April and it appears to have went through without a problem with no points deducted.  Sorry if I did not read your post correctly, but were you given the option on the reservation screen to attach the Promotional certificate?

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I just made a reservation using a certificate and it went through taking it without a problem.  Perhaps mikiegfla was reserving a room in a higher category than 5.

No, I was definitely attempting to reserve a Cat 5 room. I'll just call it in and deal with a real, live person.

nimblethunder Platinum 1 Reviews

okay, I'm confused.  how is it you are getting certificates for your megabonus?  I got the 50k points but no certs.  is there an option I need to check to get these? 

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

nimblethunder you may find the below link to a recent discussion helpful.  Many have reported having luck in getting their Megabonus offer switched.  Good luck!

Re: What was your MegaBonus Offer (for Spring 2014)?

Which is what I did. I knew I wouldn't have enough nights for the Bonus I was offered so I called and got 2 certificates after three separate stays.

nimblethunder Platinum 1 Reviews

Yes, it was a useful link.  I usually hit the megabonus awards but I can remember a couple of times when I didn't.  Next time I'll call Marriott Rewards and see what I can do.  1600 nights and climbing...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...