12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2014 12:39 AM by vaboywnder RSS

Wasting paper

plowry Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This has annoyed me for quite some time and I wish Marriott would do something about it! And that's the wasteful amount of paper when printing out a confirmation. I like to have a hard copy, but it usually requires 3 sheets of paper. Even if I just print the bare necessities (location, date, rate) that's STILL 2 pieces of paper. The font is MUCH TOO LARGE. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THIS BIG. Please, Marriott, redesign your confirmation pages. You're supposedly environmentally conscious, but this contradicts that policy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Wasting paper
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I agree.  I feel that I need to use more paper than I think I should in printing our airline tickets, car rental agreements, as well as hotels.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree but just print 1 of 3

I have tried this and what I need is usually partially at the bottom of the first page and continued at the top of the 2nd.  I can eliminate the 3rd but would like to have all on one page.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

It is a lot of information and I can see wanting a paper copy, but I never print out a confirmation.  I just use the Marriott app or the TripIt app for getting to where I need to go and what is the expected cost.  Same for car rental.  I do mostly use printouts for boarding pass because I always worry that I am going to have a problem with my phone and hold up the line.

I understand what you are saying but I have had situations where the computer was different from my paper copy and If I didn't have it, I would have had to pay as much as $200 more per might. 

That's rough.  Out of curiosity, what property was that so I know if I ever stay there?  The only thing I had that was similar was that I had two reservations at the same property (Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile) because if I attempted to extend my old reservation online, my room rate for all nights would go up.  Luckily, the front desk noticed this and they did some manual work so that the room rate would not go up and I would not have to change rooms during the middle of my stay.

The TripIt app keeps the price of the room rate, but the front desk would probably not honor that.  One thing that I do on all my confirmations is send the confirmation to my email right before my stay so I have it on my phone and easy to get to.  I can see the value of a paper copy, but I personally just stopped carrying them to limit the amount of paper in my bags--I try to travel as light as possible and all the extra items add up after a while.

One that I remember was the Marriott in SJ Costa Rica.  They would not adjust the room rate till I produced a paper copy of reservation with a price.  I had several problems.  They offer free airport shuttles but charged me for the pick up.  I really had a hard time getting them to take it off and I am platinum and was them too.

I haven't paid much attention to my room rate over the years...maybe a property ripped me off on one of my stays.

The only time I really pay close attention is on advance purchase stays and Vegas where a deposit is often required.  I always find those Vegas bills confusing.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

As a neanderthal I only print out my airline itinerary so I don't forget my return flight time, then I get my hotel and car rental confirmation number and write them on the top of the itinerary, one sheet of paper and that's it.  However; I do check the rate of my hotel when I am getting the confirmation number (seem to remember the rate) and have not found any discrepancy at any hotel I've stayed. Guess I've been lucky so far to not get ripped off!!!

But now I am curious so let's ask The specified item was not found. and merb a question.  Are you able to go back to your online account and retrieve the original reservation to show the rate when you booked it or if that would change automatically once you checked in? 

erc Platinum

1) I agree, way too much paper needed to print out a confirmation

2) I often print just page two of the reservation, but like cal mentions, sometimes I need to get the bottom of one page and top of the other

3) I often print car/plane or restaurant reservation on back side

4) Because I have the luxury of booking far in advance, I often get rates that are never seen again (especially park and fly). I have had situations where the Marriott.com reservation (in your account) does not have the same specific details, (when you click view details) as the e-mail confirmation - so I have found that I need to print the e-mail confirmation, just in case there is any question about the terms, because whether the property has the info or not, I'm not willing to take that chance. I have read of cases on FlyerTalk (and Cal's example above for Costa Rica) where until the property was shown the actual confirmation they were in disagreement over the terms of the stay.

5) Now, having said the above, I too, have been fortunate enough to not have any issues at check-in. But, I know that as soon as I rely on that trend, I'll get hosed , so I print, which brings me back to the post - yes, too much paper required.

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

PLEASE print that confirmation of your ENTIRE reservation! You never know when you will run into and unscrupulous manager who will try to charge you a higher rate or change your rate and/or terms of reservation to suit his' or hers' bottom line.  

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I haven't printed hotel or flight reservations for the last couple of years.  I can easily access the email confirmations on my smart phone or get the reservation information through one of the travel apps I use.  Once in a while I may use Priceline to score a better deal on a rental car and then I'll print out the confirmation as a hard copy is required for the car rental agency.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...