28 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2016 11:03 AM by iahflyr RSS

United Premier Silver to Gold (Plat Reciprocal)

yosof Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

For Marriott Platinum+ members who receive the reciprocal United Premier Silver upgrade, does this mean that making it to Premier Gold would be the difference from Premier Silver to Gold, or from the base value?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: United Premier Silver to Gold (Plat Reciprocal)
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

It would seem to make sense that in order to make Premier Gold you would be starting from the PQM, PQS & PQD at the Silver level, but with UA who knows.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ilovemarriott2 Platinum

I have contacted United and as a Platinum Marriott customer you are given Silver Status with United.  I then asked if I fly 30 segments (required for Silver) would I then be Gold (seemed logically conclusion) and they adamentally disagree.  You get to earn Silver AGAIN!  So where is the perk?????

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ilovemarriott2

wouldn't the perk be immediate SILVER for those that do not have 30 segments?  Other than that, it seems worthless….

tfreeman98 Platinum 13 Reviews

Right, that is the point.  I have not been an elite flyer for years (basically not doing any business flying anymore), so for me it is meaningful to be given any status with United as a Platinum member.  For somebody who is already elite with United, I can see that is is meaningless.

It is meaningless for any to be given Silver on UA or any other airline.  Marriott was given a slap in the face with this so called "partnership".  What a joke.......let me see, Marriott Plats get what Silver, yet UA Plats get Marriott get Gold and upgrade chances let alone filling the CL.

It is all silly.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I can see the disappointment that Marriott Platinum and above only get United Silver while United Gold and above get Marriott Gold, but the reality is that Marriott Silver for United elites would be even less of a benefit than United Silver for Marriott elites since you can get Marriott Silver just with the Marriott credit card.  With United silver (while there are very few benefits), it takes around 5 coast to coast roundtrip flights to get that status.

I do like the idea that for marriott platinum, united silver is a base and every mile you earn is added on top of that instead of starting new; however, united would never go for that.  They have too many elites as it is because of their heavy business travel and hubs in most major cities (LA, New York, SF, Chicago, Houston).  They want to thin out their elites instead of add new ones.  While Marriott is trying to increase their business, United is more business as usual.  It will probably hurt United in the long haul--better service on the other airlines.

robertlstein Platinum

Ironically, this is all a moot issue. Tried to update my UA status and got a message to the effect that they are sorting out eligible members from 2013 and that the ability to sign up for the UA status match won't be back online till late FEBRUARY.

Really?  REALLY?

That would be the new UA!

marriottmemberfromla,

Funny you singled out IAH and even funnier is the pre-merger UA crews who are either based here now or fly to/from here seem to have adopted the more friendly attitude.  Not sure if it is due to them knowing most of their O/D passengers were very loyal to and huge fans of CO and they want show us UA is not as most think or if those are the folks who were pleasant and enjoyed knowing CO saved them from another tour in bankruptcy.  I can't remember having any pre-merger UA crews that we just flat out rude and have been on them often.

The loyalty issue I find UA falling further from Marriott.  Last year I'd have them pretty close to one another, but now with the PQD being added UA has sunk  some.  And the PQD only are taken from the cost of the ticket which doesn't include taxes or airport fees.  Example of a recent trip where our ticket cost was $829, only $517 of that was counted as PQD.

I need to look at that PQD closer.  That is a big difference.  United has lots of frequent fliers and they are not going anywhere so United can cut corners and make restrictions like PQD.  Cannot really blame them.  It does not hurt their business (at least right now).

I've never flown Continental, but I talked to several Continental flight attendants who voluntarily left after the merger (they said United has a lower level of service...I wouldn't know).  United is really pushing fly the friendly skies, which makes me think their research says that customers feel the opposite.

On all my United flying, I've seen rude service directed at other travelers a few times though rare.  Usually, the service is just fine but not memorable.  Service at the gates is different though.  People at the gates have a tough job, but the staff at SFO talk down to quite a few frustrated travelers.  Personally, I feel that most of those frustrated travelers Ive seen were very rude, but you have to rise above that. 

Alaska Airlines is great (gates and crew), but they just have such limited routes.  The Southwest crew is casual (maybe too casual), but they are genuinely friendly.  I've flown United to Japan and ANA and ANA (Star Alliance member) has far superior service.

One of the biggest differences I see at IAH is at the gates.  Staff consistently warmly greet you during boarding and say thank you when you hand them your ticket and often say have a nice flight.  It is surprising how many United terminals throughout the US don't do that on a consistent basis (especially odd since I imagine that is a standard script).

Very good observations.  Yes the are pushing the friendly skies, but I do actually believe their business is already hurt just by looking at the income DL put up last year, double that of UA so something is definitely broken.

I'm surprised Delta is doing so much better than United.  United flights always seem booked and rates always seem high.  Hopefully, it will make them consider some improvements. I've used them for so long and they are convenient for LAX travel, but they are not my favorite airline.

hallerp Platinum

Just to add to this. I live in NJ and am equally distant to EWR and LGA. For years I was loyal CO. This year I started flying Delta over UA for service because I have the choice. I even drive the extra 20 min to JFK to Fly Delta on some occasions. It started that the prices were lower because EWR became a fortress HUB. Even now that the prices have dropped at EWR, I still cross the bridges because the service on DL is far superior. Little things like Gate Agents, snacks, etc.

I hear a lot of complaints about Marriott here, but being familiar with United, Marriott is superior to United when it comes to being a loyalty program.  In addition (and with the exception of the Houston hub), United service is typically just okay (and even rude at times).  I enjoy Alaska, friendly, cattle call Southwest and even Delta more.

davidrwilliams Platinum

As a European.  I for one is at a point of dumping marriot, as the lounge gesehen are full of united members with no loyalty to marriott demanding their cut of the cake. They have no intention to stay the70+days to be the platinum.  So in a couple of years marriot will have no platinum members in the club. But will be handing out freebies to the blood sucking united members. Since the merger of CO & UA. Their members are contemplating leaving. So they have offered them a bone at the expense of a marriott member.

Marriott wakeup and destroy the agreement and look after the members you have. Members that have been loyal.

Platinum 28 Reviews

It is safe to say that UA and Marriott are satisfied with the arrangement.  Their only concern is to increase passengers/guests and revenue. With the announcement that the program is renewing says it is working.

The very last thing on their minds is our comfort or the crowds in lounges.

Marriott for example had completely ignored the overcrowding in CL's prior to the UA agreement so there is no reason to believe that a change for the better is on the horizon.

I remember many years ago when Delta started to allow access to their airport lounges by anyone with certain categories of Amex cards.  It met with a zillion complaints and nothing was done to improve the situation - and, as DL probably projected the complaints stopped but the crowds are still growing.

Not much we can do but to enjoy what benefits we have and hope for the best.

yosof Platinum 1 Reviews

Likewise - United Premier Silver is completely worthless. No chances of ever getting an upgrade with the number of Gold, Platinum, 1k etc above you on each flight. Also: WHY NO LOUNGE ACCESS? How is it reciprocal when United members get Marriott Lounge and Marriott members do NOT get United Lounge? 

jpisarcik Platinum

Bogus award. I'm a lifetime Plat. I signed up and 4 months. I called United and they know nothing. They sent my call to me to someone in the Philippines and they tell me they cant do anything call North Dakota. But North Dakota auto sends me back to the Philippines. It sounds like United doesn't care about the Program.

BIG WAIST of my time

superchief1 Platinum

I have not yet seen any information regarding whether this program would be extended in 2015. Therefore, I doubt that it will. Although I think the United members got the better end of the deal (Gold), I enjoyed being able to fly United and have free checked bag and access to preferred seats. Has anyone heard anything about the program for 2015?

Platinum 28 Reviews

superchief1

Have been switching to UA much do to the promotion - was wondering why you feel the program won't be continued?

superchief1 Platinum

I received the email for United promotion to earn platinum status, but don't fly enough to take advantage of it. However, I haven't seen any information regarding the reciprocal relationship and would have expected to have seen something by now.

Platinum 28 Reviews

There is only two days left of a very unproductive week (due to the holidays, ofcourse). Monday, for me, is the real start of the business year.

Therefore I will take the next 48 hours to see who I can insult or what can I post to sign up some new enemies.

To begin with, let's discuss redundancy Many members, who I am assuming are intelligent upper middle class travelers, post here that they are not yet enrolled and/or advised by UA of their status.  Sort of a "badge of honor" - "I haven't got my card yet etc......and I signed up 4 months ago!.....etc....." What about the members that signed up 2 years ago!

My friends, there are millions of MR members. And probably a few million Lifetime Plats. I'm going to take a "wild" guess that it is taking both Marriott and UA time to advise and/or enroll the eligible members in the programs/levels they are entitled to per the agreement between the two companies.

These posts by the members that haven't received advice  of their membership must understand this administrative problem.  So why tell us you have the same problem that so many have already, ad nauseaum . (especially when complaining here doesn't get much accomplished with the exception of receiving a "credit").

Whether you signed up 4 months ago or two years ago they are obviously working through the list.  AND are you aware that there are thousands of members that have been registered in the new program and it takes UA about six months to formally advise them. 

When I was elevated to UA Gold (as a Plat Prem) finding out accidentally of my new status when I tried to pay for something that I was entitled to by status (wider seat) - it took UA four  more months  from finding out to send me a letter of acknowledgement and a card.

Another waste of time:  THE AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE COMPANIES ISN'T EQUITABLE!!  Gee, are you telling me that this mutual marketing agreement wasn't negotiated for the benefit of the members?  Are you telling me that Marriott and UA did this selfishly to increase business?  Really!

I suggest that it is time to move to another subject that will make all of us nauseous,  the annual complaints of the re-assigning of categories.  Personally  I just can't wait until the first member posts " my favorite hotel went from a category 5 to a category 7 in three years!!!

All I can say is "COME ON MAN" (My apologies to Monday Night Football)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Now, now misterchk, let's not have you starting off the new year in a post-Christmas Grinchy grump! There'll be plenty in 2016 for us all to get grinchy about, and hopefully much more to bring out our happier selves...

In the inimitable words of Monty Pythons Brian

"Always look on the bright side of life

Da dada, dada dada dadaaaa"

(and don't forget the da-da's, they make it all make sense)

Platinum 28 Reviews

brightlybob

Now you have really started something!

I am a student of the musical stage and can quote appropriate lyrics from a musical show in response to most situations.

The dialog/lyrics you quoted from "Brian" in the Holy Grail/Spamalot" are favorites of mine and are right up there with "the best of times is now" from "La Cage Aux Folles"

Unfortunately I will always be "stuck like a dope with a thing called hope" (South Pacific) and proceed trying to get everyone to "see what I see" (John Adams "1776") (Sorry - I realize Mr. Adams might not be that popular in the UK as he was the "driving force" to tell George III to take his country, his taxes and his empire and shove it!!!! )

2016 is going to be fun!!!!!

Splendid misterchk, just splendid!

I guess those of you who qualify for this partnership should expect notification any year now.  For those of us like myself that DO NOT qualify for it are just happy that we don't, or just unhappy that we are already in Marriott and United programs and don't have to wait for notification.