6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2014 10:15 PM by vaboywnder RSS

Target-ing?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

There are some folks on FlyerTalk claiming that their Marriott Rewards accounts have been hacked because they shopped at Target while the mal ware hacking Crime was being committed. I doubt this is possible given only CC information but communitymanager. can you clear this up?  Is having a credit card's info enough to gain access to MR accounts and then deplete points?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Target-ing?
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Let me look into the specific claims to find out more.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

It may be possible if the user name (or email address) and password were the same for both your Chase (or other) card and your Marriott Rewards account. And some people probably use the same for both. Target did say that passwords were part of the data lifted. But if the sign-ins for the two accounts are different (and they should be), it's unlikely the thieves could gain access to anything other than the credit card account--which is bad enough in and of itself.

True, thanks for clarifying that.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Yeah, Target also said that email addresses for people who shopped online at Target were stolen, so then the thieves have both an email address and a password. Bottom line lesson: Don't use the same password for everything. (I did that years ago, until someone I know went through a couple of very long and trying years because of the same mistake.) 

I agree and would add that the best password is one that is harder to crack. For example this one (that I do not use but is a pneumonic for something else

IALT4oJBotFw

(I always loved the fourth of July because of the fireworks)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Target has announced the details of the free credit monitoring service for it's customers who may have had their Credit Card or other personal information stolen.

http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_24903012/target-details-free-credit-monitoring-service-customers

The Deadline to receive an activation code for the one year of free credit monitoring is April 23rd.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...