34 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2014 7:58 PM by dejamo RSS

Mighty Mo (mentum) Recognition?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

No, not the USS Missouri, not the iconic Hot Shoppes patty, not the boxer, no--a chance to actually reward us old-timers for being loyal over decades!

jerrycoin has perhaps one of the longest streaks going, he's the 'Cal Ripken' and 'George Blanda' of Marriott Rewards in my book, with an enviable 30 year time with the Marquis, Honored Guest and Marriott Rewards program. I am almost at thirty years myself.

But here's the rub (wonder where that saying came from?**):  Someone like Mr JerryCoin (or me) is treated the same as every other person with our elite status.  All Platinum Elites are treated the same in Marriott Rewards, as are all of differing levels, regardless of loyalty time with Marriott--one year elites are the same as thirty year elites.

Oh the humanity (I know where that came from)!  Why can't Marriott do something to recognize both the status and the time that we've spent getting there?  I have a slew of ribbons from Sunday School that look like the decorations on a North Korean generals uniform, attesting to my personal loyalty in attending the classes. I have bumper stickers (never put on the Benz) telling the world that I have been a member of USAA Insurance

Marriott could do the following:

1. Put the number of years in the program on the plastic membership card
  2. List the year of joining on the statements and on Marriott.com
  3. Give the old timers an unexpected gift from time to time (Maybe not a Maserati, but something useful--wait they are useful too)

Ideas, comments, critiques?

---------------------------------

**To die — to sleep.
To sleep — perchance to dream: ay, there’s the rub!
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause.

Hamlet.

Apparently In a game called 'Bowl,' a rub is some fault in the surface of the green that stops a bowl or diverts it from its intended direction.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Copenhagen, Denmark Marriott Hotels & Resorts Copenhagen Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Mighty Mo (mentum) Recognition?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Sorry it took so long to respond to your kind comments and interesting post!  I "Flat out missed it"!

I think a number of Insiders have identified the reason for a lack of "Acknowledgement" and it is "Age"!  Realistically, people like me represent a small "Target Market" for any company.  However, "Brand Loyalty" may be something that is minimal in the future.  Having been on the Marriott program for 30 years (And an AMEX customer for 40), it is sad that last year after I stayed well over 100 night, I lost my PP status.  It did effect my interest in staying at Marriott's after that, and will effect my hotel choices in the future.  Yes, I am Lifetime Platinum, but I felt the reduction in status was sad for me.

Love your Hamlet verse, and want to share this photo with you:

01-19-2013 03;15;38PM.JPG

A visit to Hamlet's Castle, North of Copenhagen, Denmark!  A wonderful experience!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Copenhagen, Denmark Marriott Hotels & Resorts Copenhagen Marriott Hotel

Thanks Jerry and yes the train has left the station for many of us, sadly.

anadyr,

Marriott may have "Left the station" from Marriott's point of view, for "Old timers", but not mine for people like you, and other MRI' who I regard as real friends, with ultimate respect!

dejamo Platinum

True, Correctamundo, and you betcha.....

However.................

Walking across the little patch of greener grass to the other trains..........(on the dark side),  does illicit varying degrees of enhancement during your travels.   Most have been consistently quite pleasant in my experiences since I took myself and 22 of my associates away from the Marriott teet.

Just look at the exciting opportunities that we have to hop onboard a new train, and always look ahead without worrying about something that will never happen...........

Oh but I do love good discourse once in a while to break the monotony..................

Discourse are made for walkin' as Nancy Sinatra might have sung long ago.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Anadyr and Jerrycoin: you guys, you make me feel so young (with due credit to Sinatra), since I have been with Marriott for about 18 years (company policy before that was Hyatt) and with Am Ex for 32 years, so I am in somewhat the same boat as you are (just not on it as long!). And yes, the sting of change from Marriott hurts, and as I have said before on these boards, not only are the Marriott actions causing me to change my hotel habits (Co policy now allows *wood and Hyatt and Marriott), but since I supervise teams, I get to tell them where to stay when we travel, so as others have said, they lose me, they lose my team and all the spending we do on room, food, parking, spa and the list goes on. I don't consider myself old, rather I prefer "seasoned" or "experienced". I love your posts and haven't been posting much given the issues Marriott has wrought on us. As to loyalty, I was a UA 1K for 15 years. about 10 years ago, due to being serially mistreated on several occasions, I left them for another carrier. This past December, I used up the last of my 4 million points (only had 10% left), took the family first (UA calls it business first, what a joke) class to Europe and that will probably be the last UA flight I take in my lifetime. So, for the Marriott people who monitor the boards, note that we DO have a choice in travel, and I have been exercising it. Loyalty is a 2 way street and it seems to be more one way all the time.

Stelzer,

Wonderful comments, and thank-you for your kind remarks!

Are you in Greenwich, CT or England?

Your posts and comments are wonderful, please keep them coming!

Jerry: when I am not travelling I spend my family time in Greenwich, CT, on the left side of the Atlantic. When travelling, I can be anywhere. As a coda to my prior post, I just completed a 4 night stay at a Hyatt, which had a better rate than any F/S Marriott in that area, and the rate included free wfi and breakfast (in the restaurant!) and I have no status with them to get this. So now, I have some other travel coming up and I am going to use Hyatt again, and guess what, I have 3-5 people with me on most trips, so they too are staying at the Hyatt. As I said, my teams follow what I do and stay where I stay. It is sad to me that I am getting better rates and better service from a major chain where I have no standing than I do after all my years of loyalty to Marriott. And, to boot, my last stay at a Marriott, in California (a JW), I did not receive any sort of upgrade, the hotel didn't give me the 500 bonus points (and I have given up trying to get the $100 guarantee paid, its not worth the hassle) and the bill wasn't slipped under the door before checkout, so it caused me to lose time waiting to see a FDC because so many people were checking out and the FDC was under resourced. No newspaper outside my door in the morning either. yet at Hyatt, they had my old profile still in the system, so there was a newspaper of my choice there every morning. Given the Marriott international footprint, I probably will chose them outside the USA.

stelzer001,

Thanks for sharing with us which Greenwich!  Use to work out of Greenwich, CT, when I was with Chesebrough-Ponds, prior to them selling out to Unilever. 

Wonderful town, and I am going to check out Hyatt, as they were the hotel chain I left when I switched to Marriott!

You make great points, and don't forget Feb. 26, Wed, for County Hall in London.  We can work on the details later, i guess you could say "TBA"!

Jerry: the Hyatt in Old Greenwich is just down the road from me. I have been there for events, and even took my wiofe there for a no kids weekend a few times. Its a great hotel. If you get to Greenwich, let me know. As to 2/26, I will likely be in Charlotte, NC for a meeting, not London. Safe travels and be well (and if you are anywhere in the northeast or midwest USA, stay Warm!)

stelzer001,

If you get to Charlotte, do try "Roosters", next to the Walgreens, not far from the Marriott.

They have a wonderful "Pistachio shake", wonderful food, and a nice lady owner/manager.  Have a wonderful time, and will look forward to seeing you in London!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

anadyr, jerrycoin, stelzer001,

I totally agree with the concept of some recognition for those who have longevity in the program even if not a the PP or LP levels. It is sad to read from Jerry that he didn't get PP again particularly after the number of years and nights spent at Marriott properties.  Guess we need to take our grills to another chain sooner rather than later! 

It does not seem like a huge request to get some extra perks passed along for those with top end elite levels and/or a large number of years, simple easy things as mentioned above.  However; what road do we take to achieve this recognition for those so deserving when we can't even get Marriott to announce to the customer when they reach a Lifetime level, we must call them to learn if we have made it or not.?

I would put myself in the middle between the Ripkin/Blanda guys and Stelzer  with 24 years of Marriott Rewards under my belt and 26 years with AMEX.  I never made it to the Marriott PP level and never will as I no longer travel for business as I did for many years, but will be a LP from here on out, or until they change the program. 

For the first time early this year we stayed at another hotel chain and am in the process of asking them to match my Marriott status, so we shall see. 

IAHFLYR,

I agree with your hotel "Choices" as well!  Have done the same thing as you when I was "Demoted" yet had well over 100 stays that year.  Don't know how it will effect my upgrades yet, but will find out next month when I go back to London!

Hey there dude, well said. Matching can happen and some chains are more generous than others. Fairmont will not do it, I know I tried.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

First of all, the Greenwich Hyatt is a fine facility, and they will match Marriott or Hilton status.  As has been mentioned, they have a program that guarantees a certain number of Upgrades and allows for them to be confirmed when booking.  I think Hyatt will start getting some of my business in 2014.  'some' may be 5,10, or 15 nights this year.

Regarding the desire to have length of time n the program meaning something tangible, can anyone identify a loyalty program that does that?  We all know that AM EX famously states "Member since", but I do not receive anything tangible for that accomplishment.  For the life of me, I cannot think of any program that rearwards longevity.  Heck, someone could be 30 years in the program, but few nights, or whatever.

Let's face it, the only thing longevity gets us is "senior" rates…..

thoughts?

We can dream can't we?  Of course there are few things certain other than death and taxes, as we all can attest.  But dreams, they can't take that away from me!

I'm a dreamer too!  But can ANYONE give an example (other than senior discounts) where years in a program yields tangible benefits?  I think this is a GREAT idea and hope that the group can identify other company's that reward years of membership.  In this day of Best Practices, the more examples we can show, the better chance a company like Marriott, that admits their policies are developed as followers, not leaders, may take note.

Anybody?  any examples?

dejamo Platinum

Bueller.?................ Bueller.....?

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Sincerely with all due respect, why has the US become a nation of always wanting more? It often appears that we are never satisfied, appreciative of the things we are given or "earned". I can't pretend that I can see things from your point of view of longevity and level at Marriott; but I think you would have to say you must have received a number of perks during those years. I am not blind to the fact that most businesses and corporations have changed their focus to the balance sheet as well as the size of their bonuses and stock options. What many of these "leaders" do is not fair, but it should not be an excuse of how we become as individuals. I'm really taking my "point" further than I wanted and honestly it is not directed at you, but more to what this nation has become. It is becoming harder and harder not to get sucked into that mindset. While I am not always happy with the service and yes sometimes the attention I would like as a customer at Marriott, overall I think i am appreciated and am rewarded for my business.

Sorry for the rant......

traveling man

Not sure I have noticed you on this forum before, welcome aboard!   We are a diverse group with verrying opinions on just about any subject you can think of, and we welcome everyone's point of view.  Please continue to offer your opinions and do not worry about a post becoming a rant. 

shoeman

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

shoeman1000, well said. It is refreshing to have a forum where we can (& often do) agree to disagree. From my perspective, I think it is important to express your expectations as a consumer. An astute Company wants this feedback. 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Well said shoeman1000, agree with you completely.

No offense taken--it is only that rewarding loyalty is not asking for something or getting something but deserving recognition for that loyalty.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I'm totally with you on this.  Someone like jerrycoin with 30 years in the MR program and multiple Platinum Premier years under his belt should not be busted down to simply LT Platinum, no disrespect for LT.  He should retain the PP for life!  Let the Millennials see how Marriott rewards its Senior's loyalty to the brand.  It makes sense and would be terrific PR for Marriott.  As always, thanks anadyr  for raising this issue.

Platinum 28 Reviews

On this topic it seems that we are all in agreement.

We have expressed opinions and suggestions  we feel would move MW forward in it's recognition of "loyalty" levels.

Now comes the REAL work.  How do we insure this b (and others) blog is read by the Marriott Reward decision makers??

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Intriguing issue, anadyr, but I'm not sure I agree.  Could (should) Marriott put "proud member since 19___" on our cards?  Sure, it doesn't cost anything, so why not? 

But - once you raise the issue of gifts - well, I'm (personally) not persuaded that my long-term membership (dating back to the 1980's, as I recall) demonstrates loyalty (or value to Marriott) better than some other metric (nor does it entitle me to a gift or better treatment than Minnie Millennial, who has accumulated 750 nights in Marriott properties before her 30th birthday)....  

But since you've got me thinking about it, it seems to me that Marriott can (and to some extent does) consider (and manipulate to its advantage) different loyalty metrics. Which raises the basic question, which metrics matter (or matter more)?  Let's consider some things that are easy to measure for Marriott:

• points - of course, points mean different things at different times - I can only assume (and, this is based on logic, not proof) that points are a proxy for "value to Marriott" or, in other words, points can be monetized based upon some algorithm in the Marriott headquarters)....
      • points accumulated in the prior year - they've got that covered
      • lifetime points - they've got that covered*
      • United, for example, now has two type of points:
        • qualifying points (basically points correlated to miles flown, although there are premiums for business class, etc.) - points that count for status the following year, and
        • generic points - which the member can "spend"....
    • longevity - years in program
      • which begs the question: do years with limited or no activity count?;
      • I think your argument is most compelling if you want to count years at Platinum or years at Gold or higher or something like that..... One would think that Marriott tracks (and somehow recognizes) that....
    • total nights - this has become increasingly complicated too
      • nights stayed in a Marriott property
      • night accumulated, which includes, among others:
        • rollover nights - which have completely skewed this metric - I'd be curious to know how many of us will be qualified for Platinum for 2015 before February 5, 2014....
        • bonus nights, e.g., credit card usage bonuses
      • see above* - this is another annual versus lifetime measure
    • total stays - OK, I agree with folks who find this to be the worst (and most irritating) possible metric - does Marriott really believe that Jane Doe, who slept all 30 nights of November at the Residence Inn in Busytown is a less loyal or valuable customer than Frankie Fan who stayed at the same Residence Inn the two Saturday nights before the Hometown Bullies played their two home football games that month?  Of course not....
    • dollars spent - this one is particularly complicated - and the airlines, in the last few years, have begun to distinguish between "budget" flyers and premium flyers both at the high end (e.g., United's Global Services qualification is based upon spend, not flight distance) and the low end (in addition to miles, you need to spend a minimum amount of dollars)....
      • dollars spent on lodging
      • dollars spent in hotel properties - includes dining, resort fees, gift store purchases, etc.
      • dollars spent on conferences and events - let's be honest - these are the big spenders Marriott covets, particularly at the monster convention facilities
      • dollars spent purchasing a time share/vacation property - these can be huge tranches of points

Anyway, dunno if this adds anything to the discussion, but it's fun to think what one might do if they had to run the program.....

ssindc

well said!  I agree with all your thoughts on this subject.  There does not seem to be any easy answer, as the metrics to evaluate and reward 'longevity' is a difficult matter.

I am still anxiously awaiting examples of other company's rewarding longevity.  so far, no one has been able to do so.  Starting a trend is exciting, but being sucked into the right side of history is easier to swallow.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

The only examples I have are AMEX that indications on your card the year you "joined," and Discover card that sent me a new card with a 25 in the background when I reached my 25th anniversary with them.  Nothing else but card recognition.  I will say with AMEX when I have a question or problem they do mention my longevity.  Whether that gives me any special treatment is hard to tell.

USAA, my insurance company, sent stickers to identify quarter and half century emmberships but then stopped deciding that adverts of being a member invited people to engage you in a car accident to get better results for them

bpelican

Very good examples of 'recognition' of longevity!  I would agree that this makes you feel good and MAY persuade someone from corporate to give you a break on a 50/50 issue.  Thanks for bring this to the forefront.  That said, I am still looking for TANGIBLE benefits directly related to longevity.  As I have said, Marriott personnel on this forum have stated in the past the the company is a 'follower' when it come to change, not a leader.  I feel it is important for us to show them concrete examples of others rewarding their members specifically for their years in the program.  Short of shining a light on programs that do so, this conversation becomes similar to all the polls that have been done on this site  over the years demanding free breakfast for all, lounges open 24/7, etc….. 

I agree we should run the program!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...