32 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2016 10:54 AM by msannmcd RSS

Pizza Pizza...in Boston?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Calling all pizza lovers...

I'm in Haverhill, MA for the week. I've made the commitment to find some excellent pizza in Boston as part of my visit. I've had the BEST in New York, Wash DC, and Philly. I've been to New Haven, CT to dine at both Frank Pepe's and  Sally's.  So, you can tell I mean business. Let's hear some suggestions for pizza in Boston.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
  • Re: Pizza Pizza...in Boston?
    Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Hi Pained-  If you're a fan of a "classic pie", we are hugs fans of both Pushcart Pizza and Pizzeria Regina.  Both are in the north end and a short walk from the North Station T stop.  Pushcart (117 Salem St.) is not fancy and not that well known, but we go out of our way to eat there anytime we're in Beantown.  They are very good with service and the pizzas/calzones are fantastic (I'm married to a picky Italian and he swears by this place) .  Pizzeria Regina's original location at 11 1/2 Thatcher Street is small as well, and if you don't get in line before the dinner rush (they open at 11 a.m.) you'll probably be standing on the sidewalk for a while.  I think part of the charm at PR is that the wait staff is snarky, curt and almost obnoxious (hence not my absolute favorite but the food is delish).  They have 21 locations at last count so you can pick up a slice somewhere in your Mass. travels.  Here's a link: Regina Pizzeria - Locations

I'm sure some locals will chime in as well with other great suggestions.  And joshm was right on sending you his link.  Enjoy!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Sled,

Thanks for the write up. I tend to frown on a place that has 17 outlets, but it's not a deal beaker. I like the sound of Pushcarts.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Pizza is a touchy subject; it's all so subjective depending on one's preferences as Shoeman stated.  I agree with avoiding chains but this is one that I sometimes make an exception to when in need of a pizza fix and there is one handy.  Santorpio's is also very good.  But for me, I prefer thin crust.  I grew up 15 minutes from Frank Pepe's/Sally's/Modern so I have a natural predilection toward those (no one beats a Pepe's white clam pie).  I have eaten at most of the 13 named in anady'rs Boston Globe list and thought they all had merit but again, some people (like my husband) don't want "an everything but the kitchen sink pie" but the classic.  Enjoy whatever you choose, and let us know where you finally end up.  Mangia!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I find that pizza is one of the most personal preference food items around.  All the choices mentioned are great, as well as Sally's and Frank Pepe's, but I find oftentimes my recommendations fall flat.  so, I will refrain….

Come on Shoe!! Live a little and let's hear one.. haha

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

What were your favorites in the places you've been?

I loved Grimaldi's in Brooklyn, of course Ledos in DC, but never found one I liked in Boston.

Mr current favorite is Costco's forzen Deep Dish, which at 9.99 a pie is fantastic!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

My best pizza in Greater Boston always came from Greek pizza places.  I don't remember the names, but they were fabulous.  And of course, any place in the North End SHOULD serve great pizza!

prof,

I've had a few decent Greek pizza experiences, but I lean toward the Italian heavily, thanks for your idea.

Grimaldi's and Ledo's are both excellent.  We have chosen Don Antonio by Starita, 309 W. 50th st for our NY favorite. We even rode the train from Trenton just to eat our favorite pie a few weeks ago!  In DC, we really enjoyed 2 Amys, 3715 Macomb St NW. The pizza is fantastic and the atmosphere is almost as good.

Mother ship Ledos, as in the former Adelphi now College Park location, the others are OK but not as much Ledo-esque

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Pained One,

1) I completely agree with Shoeman.

2) I have never been to Boston.

Having said that, as some may know, I have become an ardent fan of napoletana vera style pizza as defined strictly by the associazione verace pizza napoletana.  It is made to specific standards, and restaurant members must be trained in Naples, Italy in the arts of napoletana vera pizza making.  When it's done correctly, it is divine.  There is an American chapter of AVPN, and when I went to DC a few months ago, I found an AVPN restaurant in Georgetown. It was a good restaurant, but the pizza was lacking to my standards.  For one thing, the edge of the crust was too thick and I didn't like the sauce, which is everything in a good pizza, to me.  Well, there's more to it, but you get my drift.  The reason I go to the effort to describe all of this on my i"bad" is because there is an American AVPN restaurant member that makes napoletana vera "style" pizza in Somerville, MA.  Don't know how close that is to where you are at, and of course I can't vouch for it. But just the same, here is the website:  www.postoboston.com.  Good luck, and wherever you end up, make sure there is a wood fire oven.

2 Amy's is an AVPN restaurant. I will try it next time. Maybe you might like Posto's in Somerville then. 

I was just going to tell you that 2 Amys was an AVPN!!  I read about that prior to going there the first time. I'll hit Posto tomorrow night and I'm looking at an ancient place for Thursday night...Santarpio's.

Fingers crossed then.  Buon Appetito.

Thanks Anadyr. I'll be near Providence in a couple of weeks and I spotted a must try on the list. The three New Haven places were all excellent, but I'd rank them  Frank Pepe, Sally's, then Modern

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

For the best pizza in Boston, you need to put in an overnight order for delivery from Chicago!

Only if you like Joe what's his-name (Minaldi's)?

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

I'm suddenly flashing back to Jon Stewart's rant about Chicago-style vs New York pizza from just before the holidays (in his best goodfellas accent).

Hmm is that on Utube?

Zagat also weighed in on Pizzas across the land http://www.zagat.com/b/50-state-50-pizzas

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Yes, it is, and it's worth checking out. It came out of the argument over who had the US's tallest building after the antenna tower was placed atop the new Trade Center.

I'll check it out thanks

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

anadyr Lou Malnotti's I believe you were referring - and yes, this Italian restaurant is almost always in the top-3 pizza reviews around Chicago.

yep thanks

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

painedplatinum I realize these posts are almost 3 years old, but they came up when I was researching Boston on MI.  Did you find any pizza places that you could compare favorably to those that you called the BEST in NY, DC, Philly, and New Haven, CT. ? In your quest for the best pizza in Boston, did you find any other casual places that you would recommend?

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Still like reginas in north end

msannmcd Platinum

I agree Jerry. The original Pizzeria Regina Thacher Street in the North end is great. Sassy waitresses. And reasonably priced!  Ask for the special oil if you like a little heat! Plus I like drinking chianti out of a jelly jar.

Cambridge has Area 4 where President Obama made a detour to eat and brought home a meat lovers!

Another favorite North End is Fiore's for pizza and calamari before a Bruins game. Off Hanover street I like Pagliuca's - again sassy seasoned waitresses and great food!

razorbackfan,

I found Santarpio's (two locations) to be my favorite. The East Boston location is the original and the neighborhood was a bit spotty.  They also have a place off of Route 1 in Peabody. They both do an excellent job

Posto in Somerville was also very good. True to the AVPN experience.

Get the pizza while in Boston, BUT you must get the Clam Chowder!!! Almost everywhere has a good batch, but I enjoy Legal Sea Foods as much as any.

mustanggt Platinum

If you order CHOWDER in Boston I'm not sure what they'll give you, but if you ask for CHOWDAH you'll get the good stuff!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

painedplatinum

Thanks for recommendations.  I am going to ask the hotel airport shuttle driver if he would take us by Santarpio's on the way to the hotel to pick up a pizza.   I have tried clam chowder in a couple of places and just don't like it.  Maybe if they left out the clams, I might like it.  To be honest, I don't like clams, mussels, oysters, etc.  Now, if it had crab, crawfish, or shrimp in it, I'm sure I would enjoy it.

msannmcd Platinum

You might want the driver to take you to the one in Peabody then. It's on route 1. Then he can jump on 95 north to take you to Haverhill. Pizza should still be warm when you get there. If he brings you to the original East Boston Location it will be cold by Haverhill! Mangia!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...