35 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2014 5:03 AM by platinum4ever RSS

Nashville- where to stay and where to go!

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I will be traveling to Nashville in March for a weekend.  We have never been there before and were wondering where in the city we should stay, where to go and what to do!  Is it easy to get around?  Will we need to rent a car?  Any promotions?  Thanks for the help!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Nashville, Tennessee, USA
  • Re: Nashville- where to stay and where to go!
    randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

We like to stay at the Renaissance.  Very close to the Ryman Auditorium which has some great music.

Check out tripadvisor.com for things to see/do.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

go to a restaurant called Giovanni's. He use to own a restaurant on NYC but moved to Nashville. I have eaten many times there as have many celebs when I was there

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'll second the vote on the Renaissance. Great location within walking distance of a good number of music venues and right in the heart of downtown.

As far as what to see, I'll leave that to others. I last visited Nashville to spend time with friends and didn't do much touring.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

I would echo the thoughts about the Renaissance.  It is within walking distance to most major attractions (Ryman, Country Music HOF).  I would also recommend taking in a show at the Opry and taking the time to do the backstage tour after the show.  In terms of restaurants I would recommend the Pancake Pantry for breakfast (near the Vanderbilt campus) and Puckett's Grocery for any meal.  If you have a car and are looking to get out of Nashville for a few hours there is a quintessential small town (Franklin) about 30-40 minutes south with a Puckett's Grocery and some neat small shops.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Good call regarding Franklin. Great historic downtown that is full of cool shops, bars, and restaurants. Well worth the short drive.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

aje5837,

The CY is a short walk to a lot of places and is usually less expensive than The Renaissance.  If you don't mind driving the RI near the airport is very comfortable as well. 

Shopping at the outlet mall is near and their are a lot of nice places to dine near the RI as well.

One thing that amazes me is how the music goes on in Nashville all the time.  It is a very enjoyable place to visit.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Living only 100 miles from Nashville, I don't often stay overnight, but my son went to college at Vanderbilt, so I stayed at Hampton Inn or Marriott near the campus most of the time. If you have time to walk through the campus it's a treat to do so. Stop by San Antonio Taco, near the campus for lunch! Of course, the Opryland Hotel (on East Side) on beltway is a fabulous place to stay, or just to walk through,or have lunch. Grand Ole Opry Theater is nearby also. The Opry is  the longest running, live, radio broadcast program in the U.S. - A must see even if you aren't a country 'n western music fan.

The Hermitage - Andrew Jackson's home (remember ,the hero of the Battle of New Orleans) - is only a short ride from downtown Nashville, and close to the Opryland Hotel.

Green Hills Shopping Center (indoor shopping) is South of Vanderbilt campus and a few miles North of Franklin, mentioned by others.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

It's not in Greece, but you can still visit the Parthenon. Nashville has one that looks like the original. There is a Marriott next store to the Vanderbilt football stadium. It's a very nice hotel. If you get good weather for your March weekend, the park across from the Marriott is full of plants and nice walking trails. If you're a hot dog lover, try Cori's DogHouse..a short walk from the Marriott.

Nashville Parthenon 2.JPG

Nashville Vandy marriott.JPG

Nashville Cori's doghouse.JPG

eyeman Platinum 4 Reviews

We stayed at the Union Station this past weekend. A different feel from standard Marriott's as this is an old train station with a grand lobby. It's not quite as close as the renaissance or CY to downtown but still walking distance. We visited the Frist centre next door.  The Capital Grille and Merchant's are 2 non-chain options for downtown Nashville restaurant s

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I recently stayed at the Renaissance in Nashville in mid-January.  It was a nice property and within walking distance to key night/entertainment spots like Ryman (which is a must visit for the Grand Ole Opry though I believe its season has ended and it is now playing at the Grand Ole Opry House, which is located a few miles outside of downtown).  Unfortunately, the room rates are high and the concierge lounge was, at least in January, under renovation and had been relocated to a boring banquet hall room.  I personally felt that were lots of areas to explore in Nashville so having a car was valuable and thus staying outside of downtown was okay.

For food, I enjoyed Husk, The Catbird Seat and Jeni's Ice Cream (based out of Ohio).

The Gaylord seemed different and potentially fun, but it was also quite touristy and overwhelmingly busy due to many conventions going on simultaneously at the attached convention center. 

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Thanks for all your info!

boldie24 Platinum 1 Reviews

Renaissance hands down if you want to be in the middle of all the action.  We always stay on points so I can comment on rates.  Also have stayed in the Union Station, pretty cool but not too quiet at night, thin walls if you know what I mean.  The CY by Vanderbilt I hear is nice but not a short walk and definitely not at night.

Definitely get a car though as there is plenty to get out and see (many highlighted in this thread, Franklin is a must).  I also HIGHLY recommend Pharmacy Burger (across the river, google for address).  Great burgers, sweet potato fries/tater tots and excellent craft beers.  Music row, Belle Meade Plantation for some local history ( Belle Meade Plantation )  The Gulch area is fun also, good whiskey bar .  Lots to see and do in Nashville.. 

mshapiro99 Gold 6 Reviews

The Gaylord is stunning! Not in the heart of Nashville, but a beautiful property, well maintained!

FredSHomeNet Platinum 10 Reviews

I am a big fan of the Gaylord brand because there is so much to do right within the resorts. Nashville has the Nashville Hotel | Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center and you will find entertainment and dining right within the resort. Of course, when in Nashville, the Grand Ole Opry is a must, and if you are a Johnny Cash fan like I am, you would not want to miss the Johnny Cash museum The Johnny Cash Museum and Event Space. Hope you have a great time.

FredSHomeNet Platinum 10 Reviews

jerrycoin,

Saw Charlie Daniels Band.  It was an electric experience. Have not seen the Million Dollar Quartet I will definitely hope to see it if the opportunity arises.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

FredSHomeNet,

I saw the Charlie Daniels Band, Gloriana, and some others when I was in Nashville (May 2012).  The Opry was an experience I would recommend to any music fan.  I would also highly recommend the backstage tour.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Fred,

Thanks for the info!  Charlie Daniels sounds like real fun.  He has had some wonderful hits. 

BTW, one of the highlights of seeing The Million Dollar Quartet was to meet "Johnny Cash" (David Elkins) and we had a nice chat about Johnny Cash.  Again, it was a great show!

IMG_3197.JPG

ryankolb2001 Platinum 3 Reviews

We have stayed at the Renaissance and it was located in a great location.  It's across the street from the Ryman and easy walking distance to the honky tonks.  Our room was clean and we didn't have any issues when we were there. 

If you are only visiting areas downtown, then you probably don't need a car.  When we were there, we were using Nashville as a center point for other items outside of Nashville (e.g. Grassmere Zoo, Jack Daniels Distillery). 

mshapiro99 Gold 6 Reviews

Another great sightseeing venue for history buffs is The Hermitage, which is Andrew Jackson's home. Fascinating property, knowledgeable docents, and an Andrew Jackson impersonator who walks the grounds and responds in character -- really well done. Go to www.thehermitage dot com to learn the details.

chautauquany Gold 4 Reviews

Last visit, we stayed at the RI on the eastside of town.  Belle Meade plantation is worth a visit, a side trip to Jack Daniels distillery was fun, downtown is worth a look for sure, and check out concerts at the Grand Ol Opry--even if you think you don't like country music.  Last time we attended a benefit at the downtown concert hall and it was the best concert we have ever seen--a diverse group of musicians, who played as a group at the end.  Check trip advisor!

platinum4ever Platinum 1 Reviews

aje5837,

Many have posted sound advice in reply, but I'd like to mention two properties in the Nashville area that haven't been mentioned - the Nashville Airport Marriott and the Franklin Marriott Cool Springs.  When needing to visit the Nashville area, I always look to stay at the Airport location.  It seems to be less expensive than the Renaissance and I enjoy the location away from the bustle of things.  While the location is near the airport, I have not been noticeably frustrated by noise.  While you won't have trouble seeing the hotel (it's on a bit of a hill), knowing how to get there can initially be a challenge.  I suggest a GPS or good directions from someone at the hotel.

In addition, you may want to consider the Franklin Marriott Cool Springs.  I have enjoyed this hotel which is a bit away from Nashville proper and its bad traffic. It's a very nice place and is convenient to sites south of Nashville.  Huntsville, AL and its Rocket Center and Space Camp are not very far down I-65.

You could also drive north a bit into Kentucky and visit the Corvette Plant (with production tours, Bowling Green), the Corvette Museum (Bowling Green; www.corvettemuseum.org), Mammoth Cave (the world's largest known cave, near Park City; www.nps.gov/maca/) and the eight distilleries on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail (various; kybourbontrail.com).

So if you need to be downtown, try the Renaissance and/or the Vanderbilt Marriott.  But if not, you may want to stay at locations out a bit and possibly visit some nearby sites.

Have fun!

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Thanks for the hotel tips and for the suggestions about where to go. I appreciate the pictures. Nashville looks like a great city with lots to do all around it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...