7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2014 1:36 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Where to stay in Paris: C-E, Vendome, Ren. Parc, Ren Arc?

golfaddict Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I'll be spending a few days this summer in Paris with my wife and am looking for a recommendation on the best hotel for the experience as this will be our first time. I'll be using points so I am indifferent to the cost as they are all fairly similarly priced in points. Central location near the sites is preferred.

Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Where to stay in Paris: C-E, Vendome, Ren. Parc, Ren Arc?
    fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

You're going to enjoy Paris no matter where you stay in the city, and with access to every area via the train you can cover a wide area of interest regardless of where you lay your head at night. I'm no expert on the city - there are others much more familiar with Paris than I - but I would offer the following:

Using Marriott points, I think one of the more strategic locations is the Renaissance  Paris Le Parc Trocadero Hotel, reasonably priced and near the Eiffel Tower, Louvre and Musee 'd Orsay (museums).

Holland & Paris 032.jpg

For a higher number of points, but exquisite rooms, breakfast buffet, and location in heart of the city, the Paris Marriott Hotel Champs-Elysees is extremely nice - lobby photo below.

Holland & Paris 035.jpg

You can walk out the door and see the famous Arc 'd Triumph, Luis Vutton retail store, and it's only a short distance to the Eiffel Tower.

Holland & Paris 022.jpg

If you arrive via train you can get directions to the hotel and exit nearly in front of the hotel. You can also take a train from the airport to downtown, but my suggestion is when you're leaving the city take a taxi back to the airport, especially if in the afternoon. I would suggest staying at the Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport Marriott, which offers a free shuttle to the airport on day of your departure.

Here's a word of caution:  Beware of street "gypsies", often dressed in suits, masquerading as officials, who might approach you asking for your identification! They are thieves - DO NOT take out your passport, or wallet in their presence. They operate in the "high-rent" districts, not just on the dark, side streets!

I'm sure others will freely offer advice and more explicit directions.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

golfaddict,

You may want to consider booking the hotels you may desire first, then when you decide "Cancel" the other ones.  It may actually be too late to make a reservation at all of the hotels, as they "Sell-out" early!

Good luck!

golfaddict Silver

Thank you all for the excellent tips and advice.

Jerrycoin- I've successfully made the reservations at my top 3 choices and will hopefully have a decision made by the time I travel .

golgaddict,

Great move!

Now, watch the rates up until shortly before you leave.  You may want to make plans to contact the Concierge at the choice hotel to pick you up at the airport.

We all will be looking forward to assisting you prior to the trip!

attycarol Silver 12 Reviews

Check out that Marriott near the subway station, close to Eiffel Tower too. You can take the subway from airport to hotel, and transfer as many times as you want. Make sure you purchase the 5-day unlimited ticket, it is so worth it! A word of caution, use cash because the attendant may swipe your credit card twice and it will be hard to contest later on. In this regard, Amex has been good in removing double charges, not so with Visa. Also, check if your credit card collects foreign fee, you have to factor it as part of your costs. Finally, there are several side trips you can take: to Giverny, to Belgium or to London by rail. Enjoy!

attycarol,

Great advice!

Have not stayed at that property, but one can sure save a lot of money on the Metro from the airport.  One word of caution is "Luggage" and "Security".  One must really feel comfortable that they know what they are doing, and take into consideration their loved ones, especially on a "First trip"!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...