12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2016 8:55 AM by fistuk RSS

Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas - No Platinum Breakfast or Free Internet

yosof Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I was informed today on checking into the Cosmo that (apparently due to Marriott Reward's contract renewal):

1) Wicked Spoon breakfast buffet for two per stay is no longer available. Effectively, this means that this hotel does not provide Platinum members with free breakfast.

- There appears to be no 750 point compensation for the lack of breakfast.

- Wicked Spoon was the former Platinum Gift, which is now replaced with 500 Marriott Points or $10 Food/Bev credit.

2) Internet is no longer free for Platinum members. You have to pay a $25 resort fee for basic internet or $25 + $30 for fast internet.

Please correct me if the above is incorrect.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas - No Platinum Breakfast or Free Internet
    marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

Before my stay, I received an email that stated I would receive breakfast for 2 at Wicked Spoon as a platinum arrival gift. When I arrived, the front desk said that benefit had just been discontinued.

You might be able to get a 750 points credit since Marriott's website indicates Autograph hotels still participate in breakfast 7 days a week.  I may have misunderstood the front desk at The Cosmopolitan, but I got the feeling that Autograph hotels no longer participate in that benefit.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nyspeedracer84 Platinum

I stayed at two Autograph hotels last quarter and both properties did not offer breakfast for Platinum Premier, but offered a $10 food or drink voucher. However, internet was still free. It was the Castle in Orlando and another in SoFlo

berniwhoelse Platinum

I Stay at the Cosmo on Reward points in a terrace suite.

no breakfast is complimentary anymore.

you get 15% discount for wicked spoon.

my suite is just opposite the elevator machine room, already trying to change.

room is very nice and the view is fantastic, but can you get stuffed from looking?

all in total i would not recommend it as the JW or the Rennaisance offer way better reward amenities.

i already anger myself for spending so many points and not get the treatment i expect.

w_w_w Platinum

All properties of the 19 Marriott brands are supposed to comply with brand standards. They can provide more benefits, but they can not provide fewer benefits.

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection is classified as a resort, so, unlike non-resort Autograph Collection properties, The Cosmopolitan is NOT required to provide free breakfast or lounge access to Gold and Platinum Elite members (and not any alternate points benefit either).

However, if the hotel promised breakfast as a Platinum Elite gift option at the time of booking (or by email before guest arrival), it should honor that promise. To do anything less would be unscrupulous and dishonest.

The Cosmopolitan is allowed to charge for Wi-Fi, but not in either of the following cases:

Autograph Collection (Marriott) brand standards require The Cosmopolitan to provide free standard Wi-Fi to ALL Marriott Rewards members who book through Marriott.com, Marriott's mobile app, 1-800-MARRIOTT, or through a Marriott hotel.

Autograph Collection (Marriott) brand standards require The Cosmopolitan to provide free enhanced Wi-Fi ("where available") to Gold and Platinum Elite members.

When properties fail to comply with brand standards, they run the risk of getting terrible reviews on Marriott.com and TripAdvisor.

peymanagement Platinum

There are specific exceptions in the T&Cs for the Cosmo.

w_w_w Platinum

Good catch! You are correct. The Cosmopolitan (along with Atlantis Paradise Island and Mulu Marriott Resort & Spa) is listed as a "Property that participates in the Marriott Rewards program but does not participate in free in-room Wi-Fi for Rewards members"

Rewards Terms and Conditions

Should guests really have to scour all the terms and conditions to find property-specific exceptions?

Shame on Marriott. It's bad enough that there are all sorts of brand-specific benefit inclusions and exclusions for Marriott's 19 brands. With Starwood's brands joining Marriott, soon there will be 30 brands. But to have hotel-specifc exemptions hidden in the fine print is too much.

Ideally, Marriott would create a few major categories (such as select-service, full-service, luxury, and extended stay), map the 30 brands to the categories, and then be absolutely consistent with the expectation that properties will provide at least those benefits.

GoldenBoy Platinum

In the U.S. and Canada: any time the Lounge isn't open, Platinum and Gold Elite members are entitled to a daily choice of continental breakfast for two in the restaurant or 750 points.

A limited number of hotels in the U.S. do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed, but do offer 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast. These hotels include:

• Boston Marriott Copley Place
          • Boston Marriott Long Wharf
          • Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
          • JW Marriott Washington, DC
          • JW Marriott New Orleans
          • JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
          • The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection
          • JW Marriott Essex House, New York City
          • New York Marriott Marquis
          • Renaissance New York Hotel 57
          • Renaissance New York Times Square
          • San Diego Marriott Marquis and Marina
          • The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

w_w_w Platinum

The reply from GoldenBoy does not apply to The Cosmopolitan.

The Cosmopolitan is not required to provide the lounge/breakfast benefit AND is not required to provide 1000 points in lieu of breakfast.

Here's the reason: Although it is an Autograph Collection property (one of the five Marriott brands with the lounge/breakfast benefit for Gold and Platinum Elite), The Cosmopolitan is classified as as a resort. Resorts are excluded.

Here are the key paragraphs (with the key sentence in bold) from the terms & conditions:

Guaranteed Concierge/Executive/Club Lounge Access* for Platinum and Gold Elite members plus one guest at JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® and Marriott® Hotels, Delta Hotels (limited participation) during normal hours of operations. Lounge offers light snacks and daily continental breakfast. Resorts are excluded.

Continental breakfast is available 7 days a week for Platinum and Gold Elite members plus one guest in the Concierge/Executive/Club Lounge at JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® and Marriott® Hotels, Delta Hotels (limited participation).*

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

AS a platinum I stayed in January and was given free wifi and comped up one level  room

fistuk Platinum

Ladies & Gents,

This discussion is an old one - from Jan 2014!

What's the point of bringing it up again and discussing something which is no longer relevant, as it's obvious to all of us what benefits are available in the Cosmopolitan as a resort hotel (and we had many more later posts about it as well).

I have no clue why berniwhoelse chose to make it live again, as obviously these news (the topic & original post) are old news...

I'd recommend everyone to pay attention to the date of the message they're replying on.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...