7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2014 1:11 PM by profchiara RSS

Day Trips from Paris

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

My efforts to post under the previous Paris travelogue failed with pics so I'm starting a new one. These are from Rouen -- I can't find photos of the restaurant I keep coming to from Paris for lunch, but the first is the archeological ruins of Saint-Sauveur in the Old Market and the extension of the new Jeanne d'Arc church. The second features some of the medieval streets through which Joan passed en route to her execution in the Old Market. You can tell authenticity of this late medieval style of building by whether or not everything is neat and even (if so, it's modern, like some in the 1st photo; if it's crooked and slanting there's a good chance it dates from the 14th or 15th C.) The third is the Gros Horloge, or clock tower, that gets you into the main part of the city, from 1389; the final one is alas, that awful new Viking Jeanne d'Arc church, but with an area called Le Bûcher, which means stake.  Actually, Joan was burned about 10 yds from there at what is now the base of a giant cross.  And don't forget to have lunch or dinner at the Couronne d'Or.100_1514_1.JPG100_1640_1.JPG100_1510_1.JPG

100_3370_1.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Day Trips from Paris

PS to the earlier post -- here's an example of original medieval buildings as well as the one remaining castle keep that is a museum.  Contrary to its claims, it was not where Joan was kept prisoner (that is inside an optometrist's office which I mentioned before on the rue Jeanne d'Arc.  This one is where she was shown the instruments of torture, although they decided against.100_1584_2.JPG100_3415_1.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Professor,

Very exciting information and photos. I just love the architecture (and the clock) in the pictures.  Ya, what's with that awful looking church?  Like they say on Sesame Street, "One of these things is not like the others...."  Your post certainly persuades me to want to pay a visit to Rouen.

No one I knows can figure out why they built the awful new church, especially when you have Rouen Cathedral and the magnificent abbey of Saint-Ouen.  It's supposed to represent Rouen's Viking heritage.  King Charles the Simple (who turned out not to be so simple) persuaded the Viking leader Rollo (seriously that was his name) persuaded Rollo not to attack Paris but to settle with his men in  the heart of Normandy.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Profchiara

Very informative post and nice pictures.  There is a possibility that I will be in Paris for a few days in September and I have been considering a day trip to Rouen to visit the cathedral.  The pictures that you posted certainly provide an impetus to make the trip.  Thank you for taking the time to create the post.   

Thanks, gm1!  I spent a lot of time there for my research and really enjoy the city.  Here are some photos of Rouen cathedral, including Rollo's tomb.  And I found the Couronne d'Or's outside menu!100_1718_1.JPG100_1668_1.JPG100_1678_1.JPG100_1515.JPG

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Prochiara

The cathedral looks awesome!  You have sold me on visiting Rouen.

While you're there, don't miss the abbey church of Saint-Ouen (which for some reason I don't have any photos of). Its stark interior and amazing Gothic height are stunning.  Also, right near the church of Saint-Maclou is what's called the Aitre (below) -- it's one of the few still existing charnel houses from the time of the Black Death in 1348.  On every window eve there is an image of a skeleton.100_1644_1.JPG100_1650_1.JPG

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...