2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2014 8:30 PM by shoeman1000 RSS

Good deeds

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Now it is time for another question--what good deed (or deeds) have you done (regardless of location and time) for another person in your past?  We (meaning I) tend to see ourselves as uniquely qualified, needing no help or advice, and self-centered.  But there are times, and I am sure every one of us has been in the situation, where we do something selfless, with no need to be repaid, or we pay it forward, to borrow the movie title.

Pony up here folks and tell me all those good deeds. Given our band of brothers and sisters we'll have a large volume to read and marvel over.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Good deeds
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Good deeds go from carrying someone's groceries out to their car, to checking in on a shut-in, to donating to your favorite charity, to spending some time with someone who could use some companionship, etc….  I've always thought the most meaningful deed, amongst all deeds, are the one's where the recipient will never know who was the giver.  It is the anonymous deed done solely and purely for the deed itself.  I would love to hear those stories as well.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Good deeds
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Here's mine (good deed):

We used to frequent a coffee shop and bakery in Carmel, and came to know the two girls making the coffee, Rocio and Thy (Tee).  Rocio did not drive, her family of field workers had to bring her in from 45 miles away to start at 6 am.  Thy was a refugee from Vietnam who was a boat person, learned English here, went to the community college, then married a really nice guy, Tuan.  Together they were an American success story. 

One day Thy looked less enthusiastic; my wife asked what the problem was.  Thy reported she needed to take the citizenship exam but no one had time to study and ask her the questions. Tuan was working two jobs and not home until 1 am.  Her extended family, also living with them, knew very little English.

I was recovering from surgery and had the time, my wife did too, so we conducted a little civics class in the back room of the bakery, surrounded by yeast and pans.  Thy passed with ease, and thanks us even to this day.

It was not the time we spent, but the effort she put into this, that made it a good deed for a new American citizen.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...