Delta
Frontier
JetBlue
Southwest
United
US Airways
Virgin America

Lowest score is the best scrore

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 2013 Airline Scorecard from the FAA
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
    Currently Being Moderated

anadyr,

I certainly don't mean to defend UA but AA has almost the same rankings and I would like to offer up a reason as to why. Both of those airlines have a hub at O'Hare. O'Hare is well documented as one of the most delayed airports in North America. The airport itself, weather, and limitations of ATC all lead to them being near the bottom as far as delays, cancellations, and tarmac times. Those three things often lead to passenger complaints so that explains their rank in that category as well. Personally I like O'Hare itself as far as food and shops (although I do think there is a lack of gate seating) but yes the delays are always bad.  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Now I'm going to pick on ya since you brought it up ks77.

What might the limitations be of ATC at ORD?  Just askin.....

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

That they can't get me from 22nd in line to first in line for takeoff faster!!!

Oh yes they can, you just need to know someone in the Tower that knows you're on that flight, very very simple. 

Or, they just make the other 21 pilots very very angry when your flight passes them on a taxiway.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Yes I was not picking a side here just reporting the facts as the FAA presented them

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

anadyr,

No I know, I really appreciate all of your contributions. I just wanted to weigh in on possible reasons for the rankings and get a possible discussion going. Keep up the good work!

No harm no foul.  I understood what you said and agreed

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I try to stay away from connecting in Chicago if at all possible.  I think I have had more misconnections, delays, etc. while connecting in Chicago than all the other connecting airports combined.

That really tells a story. From what I see here AS and DL need to expand in a large way from at Houston so I (selfish of course) can see what a good domestic airline is of today.

Looks like AA and UA pretty much stunk it up all across the board, and when you compare these now two airlines (adding US to AA) with DL, what a difference.  DL impresses more and more and the former poster child of airlines, Southwest is not getting the best reviews after the AirTran thing.

Thanks for posting this anadyr.

My pleasure, I comb the wires to send these bon mots to Insiders.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

One comment in the original article suggested that AS did well because they don't have to deal with the most congested airports in the east. Makes sense.

It also said, AS "has been a pioneer in new-generation, satellite-based navigation that can let planes fly into and out of airports that otherwise would be shut down by low visibility," which is sometimes a problem in Alaska. Pretty cool stuff.

Nice to see them at the top even though I don't fly them much anymore. Living in Seattle, they were my airline of choice, but they don't fly to CMH so I have to us my Mileage Plus* account on partner airlines like DL or AA now.

*correction Mileage Plus should be Mileage Plan, Alaska Airline's frequent flyer plan (thanks IAHFLYR)

Message was edited by: bejacob

bejacob,

You are spot on with the pioneer comment about AS.  They were using GPS and many advancements to fly  to places like Juneau long ago, then CO stepped up and got on the bandwagon for advanced nav and satellite based procedures which we got to demonstrate down here in Houston since it was nice and flat.  Those two along with Quantas made huge inroads in what the aviation industry is doing today.

However; you confused me (easy to do in the morning, not so much later in the day ) with your MileagePlus reference to DL or AA as neither is MileagePlus partner with UA??

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

My goof. AS calls their FF Mileage Plan, not Mileage Plus (which as you point out is UA). I'm a member of both and just got them mixed up.

One good thing about having AS and UA FF membership is that I'm covered on three of the biggest domestic airlines left standing (as the number keeps dropping). Flying out of CMH DL, AA, and UA cover most of what I need.

etw Platinum 5 Reviews

Yep, I also use only my Alaska number (Alaska, Delta, American) or my United number.

I love connecting in Seattle.  The connections are easy and I like the food.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

The public spaces at that airport are much more enjoyable than the AS lounge for sure.

etw Platinum 5 Reviews

Southwest second to last place in mishandled bags...I love it!  Bags fly free, but lord knows where they go or when you'll get them.

With bar coding they apparently know where the bags are, but not why they are not in your airport carousel!

I am glad that I have put in with AS and DL.  I have been a pretty happy flyer with these airlines, and the stats would seem to bear that out.

Well, I finally got screwed by my beloved Alaska.  If you abandon the outbound flight (I did because a week prior, I had a change of plans - needed to go down a day earlier and they wanted too much money to change, so I just bought a one way Amtrak ticket), they will automatically cancel your inbound flight (inbound schedule was still good for me.) I consider this to be dirty, greedy pool.  Their response was, 1) All airlines do it, and 2) you agreed to the terms and conditions when you clicked 'purchase.'  The guy was a real snot, too.

pluto77,

Very sorry to hear of your issue however; the snotty guy is correct and it's been going on for years.  Don't take it personally against AS, just against the guy you had to deal with handling the situation.

I took great exception to his snottiness.  Lesson learned (besides people can be rude, snotty and discourteous and there's nothing that can be done for it) is to book one ways For the same price.

There are +s and -s for both.  If you book one ways and need to cancel, you are charged $200 for each confirmation number.  However, if you miss a flight, then they don't cancel the rest.  ???

Cal, I was more referring to the many "little" flights that I often take, FAT-LAX, FAT-SAN, FAT-BOI, FAT-SEA, usually for$49-$110 each way.  If I have to cancel, I'm just out the money and not too much (certainly less than a change fee), but I rarely cancel or change.  In this case, I just needed to move the outbound up by one day. Would've taken Amtrak a day early and flew the scheduled flight home if they would've let me.  If the issue would've been reversed, taken the original outbound, then added a day to the inbound and Amtraked home, I could've gotten away with it, I think.  So for these little flights, I may try splitting the conf codes. 

It costs about $350 R/T to do FAT-BOI (why I usually fly out of Sacramento to BOI for half the price, same travel duration).  I have already decided that when I fly up when my daughter has her baby, and as only God knows the actual date, I am just going to book the flight last minute and pay double/triple with no notice and not deal with the hassle.  (And hopefully the flight won't be booked.)

I do remember right after 9/11 if you booked one way flights you were a TSA threat so they'd give you the "extra special treatment".  I did that a few times as I was visiting my Mother in the hospital and didn't know when I would be going home based on her condition.  Even as a government employee and them finding my ID card in my carry on did it matter, they probably liked me less seeing that than they did before.

The one time I showed the ID to the agent he told me those are easy to create.......and of course being the smart mouthed idiot I had to tell him fine, then call my facility which will answer with FAA in it, guess that can be created as well.  Not the thing to say, but it was sort of funny as I had quite a bit of extra time padded into my schedule that day.

We were members of Trusted Traveler pre 9/11 and post, too. I was not hassled on planes that much, but it may have been my good looks and incredible intelligence that saved me!

If you read about my nightmare when I was on a sightseeing boat in Glacier bay and was stranded, missed my flight and Alaska canceled all flights on the record locater.  It ended off costing me around $1000.  They gave me the same comment.  I never did recoup the money paid.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Not an AA apologist, just offering up some info not found in Headlines…..

AA was going through very difficult union negotiations for most of 2013.  Pilots, ground personnel, flight attendants, and gate agents, all were undermining the system to make a point.  I'm not so sure I would jump to another airline based on a one year trend.  If that were the case, I would guess you would be switching airlines annually….

Just my opinion.

But also, disgruntled airline employees undergoing labor disputes should not take it out on their customers. That is a general statement directed at all airlines, not just one specific airline.

I would take it one step more and say not just the airlines but all businesses.

No they shouldn't, but some do it.  The undermining also done by some pilots to cost their employer more money is completely wrong, yet they do it as well.