26 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2014 5:04 PM by anadyr RSS

NFL Playoffs?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Did anyone see that Roger Goodell, the NFL commissioner, wants to add two more wildcard teams to the playoffs next year.  At that rate the season will end as regular baseball season begins, in early April.

As WSJ columnist Jason Gay aptly put it today, "You know this is going to happen. Because it always happens. Sports never saw something good that it didn't want to make much, much bigger. We live in an age of endless expansion, the upgrade, the jumbo, the supersize (except in New York City, where we may wind up drinking Mountain Dew out of eyedroppers). Restraint is for suckers. Less is for quitters. To be in charge is to enlarge"

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: NFL Playoffs?
    foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Some coach's pep talk in the not-too-distant future: Men, we control our own destiny. All we gotta do is win 2 of the last 3, finish 6 and 10, and we're in. Win all 3 and we play the first one at home!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Splendid, sounds similar to what the Texans former coach may have said and still believes.

I love the NFL, but enough is enough.

As a Falcons fan, I feel your pain.

Platinum 28 Reviews

You are all very lucky - I live in a small town which (according to many) can't support an NFL team.  So my loyalties are are for sale.

Anyone interested in a big NFL fan without a team please inquire.

So I guess those trips to St. Louis to watch the hometown team play are gettin' kinda old?

Platinum 28 Reviews

foxglove

The said news is they are one of the teams rumored to be coming back!!!

Sorry. I didn't know. I can remember when the hapless Falcons were stuck in the NFC West with LA, the 49ers and the Saints. I got to watch Roman Gabriel, Jack Snow and the Fearsome Foursome dismantle the Birds twice a year.

Ohhhhh, the horror...  That's the main reason behind the Falcons/Saints rivalry. We were the only opponents each of us had a chance against.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Those were the "good old days"  - hate to date myself but I go back to Waterfield and Crazy Legs Hirsh then on to Van Brocklin.

I wasn't around to watch him play, but when he was at the Falcons' helm, win or lose (mostly lose), the Dutchman was always entertaining. Having suffered through the Falcons' most recent campaign, I almost miss those days. Expectations were low and were almost always met.

Actually, I was around during Van Brocklin's late career. It was the Falcons who weren't around. That's probably good--it would've been just one more NFL great padding his stats against a perennial cellar-dweller.

Message was edited by: foxglove

You guys are making me feel very old this afternoon with all these names I remember as a kid.

Stop it!!!!!

At least our memories are still functional.

What were we talking about?

Platinum 28 Reviews

We have reached a point in our life where we have nothing better to do but sit in front of our computers!!!

Tomorrow I'm off on 2014's first biz trip - so I guess my immature words of wisdom will be away for a few days

We will miss them, not the immature part since you are not, but the wisdom part.

Fortunately for me, the new semester's just getting underway, so I have the luxury of just sitting in front of my computer. Safe travels!

Oh lucky you....have fun and safe trip.

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR

Not sure I would categorize it as lucky - one must make a living!  Especially when I still have a daughter in college.

Have you heard of a hotel chain called Marriott?  I think I'll try one of their properties on this trip.  Who   knows, maybe I will like their style !!!

misterchk,

I've heard of that chain, I have also heard if you sign up for something called a Rewards program you may be able to get points that count toward some stuff.

impresario07 Platinum 4 Reviews

Goodell's adding a 7th team per conference would have no impact on the ending of the season. WildCard weekend would just play 6 games rather than 4 to determing who makes it to the divisional round. Only 1 team would get a first round bye, whereas 2 teams do currently.

Well yes, but it is all revenue driven. The SF/GB game was a hit for the NFL and for FOX network too.  It was cold over much of the US so watching on TV was the best alternative for a Sunday evening in January.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

If they keep adding teams to the playoffs, even "Perry Como" and the Cowboys might make it in!!!!

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Sorry, I should not have insulted Mr. Como when making reference to the Dallas QB. Mr. Como could throw the ball much further than Tony Romo.......   

Como was a barber in Connelsville PA, and honorable profession,

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Was Perry in Connelsville or Canonsburg, PA?  It is an honorable profession and you don't get sacked that often.

My grandfather's father was from Connelsville and you're right, it was Canonsburg.  Sorry

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...