20 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2014 10:42 AM by anadyr RSS

The Marriott Way

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: The Marriott Way
    psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Did you hit enter before you finished the post?  :-)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Never mind.  Didn't notice it was a link. 

Well I try to keep the folks at Insiders Command guessing.

I am saving electrons PSUDad, and suing as many recycled ones as possible as part of my mission to save the Earth.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Interesting interview--thanks for posting. Personally, though, I'd prefer a desk in my room. I guess I'm showing my age.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

foxglove, I like a desk too. Perhaps the fact that I travel with a laptop, kindle, and smartphone instead of some all-in-one device probably puts me behind the curve of the younger crowd. I don't like that I'm getting left out of the mix when I see statements referring to guests up to about age 40. For me, 40 wasn't all that long ago, but statements like that start to make me feel old.

One area that I could relate to was not unpacking my suitcase. As the article said "They have a place to drop their suitcase and then they go hook up their computers." That sounds just like me, but I prefer to have my computer on a desk.

I find that I often do not unpack either--it saves me the embarassment of having to find that I forgot something on my first night!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

you should have heeded jerrycoin's best traveling tips and made lists

Amen to that Madmax!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Yeah, I don't care if it is called a "laptop," I want it on a desk!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I couldn't have said it better foxglove.

Me too

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Thanks for posting this interview.  It was interesting to see the interplay between Steve Forbes and Bill Marriott, both being business ikons in their own right.  It was also interesting to see how "with it" Bill was during the interview.

I think it also points to the core values that Bill ingerited from his dad and the way in which he chose to do it differently with his children.

That told me a lot about his character to be able to accept his Father's core values but not his manner of implementing them with him.  A lesser man may have bolted.

When I met Mr. Marriott a few years back he was charming, alert, and personable.  Knowing in advance that I lived in Monterey, he asked about friends of his, whom I knew, and then thanked ME for being loyal to Marriott.  His graciousness put me at ease.  And yes he is the genuine article!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I thoroughly enjoyed this interview. He's certainly a rare, but good, breed in the marketplace we see today. I think he'd be a fantastic person to sit and talk with for a while!

He has never seemed to be too busy to speak with an Associate I hear from them, and he always wants his photo taken with the behind the scenes folks not management in the front row.

When I stayed at the JAX Marriott for 9 consecutive weeks while getting a medical procedure done, I wrote a letter to Bill Marriott praising the staff at the hotel for treating us as family.  Shortly thereafter I received a hand-written letter from him thanking me for my feedback and wishing me well with my health issues.  Talk about going the "extra mile."  I have immense respect for this man.

That is wonderful, and yes a sign of his honesty and caring nature.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...