9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2014 1:08 PM by iahflyr RSS

Spirit to Serve Nomination

net Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am nominating Carrie from the Milwaukee Marriott Downtown for the Spirit to Serve Award. She provided exceptional service and provided it with an attitude that portrayed her true intention to go the extra mile to serve a guest. Here is what happened:

Prior to checking in at the Marriott, I had finished my work meetings for the day and was headed to the Marriott in my rental car. I noticed that one of the buttons on my expensive Eton dress shirt had fallen off. I drove around town rather aimlessly for the next half-hour looking for a place that could put the button on since I needed to wear the shirt again the next day. (I think it's one of the travel tips - pack lightly and wear the same dress shirt twice during the same week). I wasn't able to find a place to put on the button since it was getting late and most places were closed for the day.

So I checked in at the Marriott where I was greeted with a big smile and welcome from Carrie. She was standing out in front of the reception desk, instead of behind it, which was very welcoming (and was probably a sign of the exceptional service I was about to receive).

I asked Carrie if she knew of a place that could help with my button and I showed her the problem. She immediately brought me a sewing kit which had all the materials to do the repair, so searching for a place was no longer necessary. The button should be back on before morning.

But I told Carrie there was one more problem, I don't know how to sew on a button. Okay, I suppose it's rare that an adult can't sew on a button, but some of us can't, so unfortunately the button problem wasn't resolved yet. Without hesitation, Carrie calmly stepped aside from the reception desk and proceeded to give me very clear and helpful verbal instructions on how to sew on the button using the sewing kit. It was great service at a time when I thought I was in a bind.

Prior to leaving the reception desk to go sew on the button, I asked one more question about the positioning of the button. And that's when Carrie's Spirit to Serve intuition went into high gear. She realized that I would probably spend the next hour working on the button, stick my finger at least twice with the needle, and end up with a misplaced button that dangles down about an inch from the shirt itself.

So Carrie politely asked if it would be better if she sewed on the button, using the sewing kit, while I went up and unpacked my luggage. I hadn't even considered that she might sew on the button, but I jumped at the offer with an emphatic yes - good idea.

It wasn't the magnitude of the problem that was solved - I realize that sewing on a button isn't a complex task for most people - but it was the genuine intention to serve that Carrie exhibited that was uplifting for me. She approached the whole situation in a manner that showed it was truly her spirit to provide exceptional service, and that it's just part of how she addresses her job.

Oh, and the best part of the experience... while unpacking my luggage there was a knock at the door. It was Carrie hand-delivering the finished shirt!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Spirit to Serve Nomination
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

That is a great story and even better CS.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

A congrats to Carrie for providing great service and representing the Marriott brand with excellence - and thanks, net, for sharing.  Not only did she save you time and money - but blood stains can be tough to get out of a shirt, once set. 

net Platinum

Blood stains on the shirt! Wow, I hadn't even thought of that. Carrie's customer was more outstanding than I originally thought.

laurac Marriott Associate

Greetings, net, thank you for sharing this story! On behalf of Marriott associates around the world, we take pride in providing exceptional service for each and every guest and we appreciate you taking the time to nominate this Marriott associate for this important award. We’ll enter this nomination for consideration of the Spirit to Serve award.

seetheworldfromiowa Platinum 1 Reviews

Hi, Can you tell me about Spirit to Serve nominations?  I just wrote my first Marriott Insiders review, and in looking at other reviews I saw somebody had suggested nominations.  I thought it might be appropriate to nominate Todd Oswald, the manager of the Minneapolis Airport Marriott, if you could tell me how to proceed.  Thanks much.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

seetheworldfromiowa,

Welcome to MRI!

Look forward to hearing about your Minneapolis experience.  Just got back from there myself, wish I could have made the State Fair, it sounded like a lot of fun.  Now to answer your question:

Just go to "Write a Review", click-it, proceed to follow instructions.  You will need to enter the city and property location.  Write your review and hit the "Add reply"!

Hope it all works for you!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Yes welcome it MI, looking forward to reading of your travel experiences.  This is a wonderful spot with excellent insights from travel veterans and newbies alike.  Hope to hear more from you soon.

laurac Marriott Associate

Greetings, net. Thank you again for helping to acknowledge this associate and their outstanding service! As a result of your nomination, this associate has been selected to receive the Marriott Spirit to Serve award. Associates are honored to hear that they exemplify the values instilled by JW Marriott, and it means more knowing the recognition came from you, our valued guest.

net Platinum

Wow! It's great to hear that Carrie was chosen for the Spirit to Serve award. It is well deserved. Good choice.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...